Reccomendations for Boots

jollygreengiant

i have the converse warriors i really like them and sometimes a really hate them lol they are great but they have been really hard to break in ! i dont know how long it takes to breka boots in but obviously the few times wearing the boots a month isnt enough! they are are geting better tkaing them out to work with me now to breka them in ready for airsoft

they are geting better!

water proof to a point, once they are a wet though take a while like any boot to dry

I cannot figure why on earth you need to break converse in - not like a leather boot anyway. I've had two pairs of converse for ages now and they have been like wearing trainers since day one. Amazingly comfortable, and have never let me down or got my feet wet - and they've done full on wet 24 hour games in Sennybridge. I love 'em.

I cannot figure why on earth you need to break converse in - not like a leather boot anyway. I've had two pairs of converse for ages now and they have been like wearing trainers since day one. Amazingly comfortable, and have never let me down or got my feet wet - and they've done full on wet 24 hour games in Sennybridge. I love 'em.

lol in that case my converse warriors are rubbish then :P and arnt comfortable in the slightest.. arnt like trainers and hurt my feet and let in the water on a rainy day...

As you're based in the UK, Lowa's aren't going to be too expensive. Try looking at POLIMIL, who are based on Leicester but have a good website.

For me, Lowa mountain boots work very well indeed. I went for the non gortex version as they dry out fatser after being totally submerged in water, but the gortex ones are also good. They are not cheap, but they will take a great deal of punishment and last a long time.

I was in the army and I am now a postman, I do a lot of walking.

I am also a bit of a boot ######.

From what I've heard generally favoured boots by soldiers (and therefore airsofters :P ) are Lowas and Magnums. Magnums will set you back about £60 and Lowas around £120.

Lowas are OK, Magnums are bloody awful, I'll get to that.

supergrade issue boots, me and a m8 have been wearing them for years, never any problems

"Boots Combat High" are very good, I wore them for years, they are not insulated or goretex so your socks have a lot to do.

Magnums will work like a nice sponge in Wales..

true

There are plenty of the new type Brit issue Pro Boots on ebay at the mo'. You want the ones with the grey inner liner NOT the red ones as some of these have self destructing soles.

also true

magnum elite 900 sympatex by far ;)

They are by far the best boots I own and I own quite a few

I had a pair of them and I would have rather had boots that had soles made of dog poo.

Best boot at the end of the day, is the one that fits correctly.. Sometimes walking in another man's boots is not the best idea.. ;)

Very true, I'll get to that.

I think, that what you need is a set of Asolo's or Lowa's.They are a god choice for hiking and for airsoft.

If you are looking for something more mil-spec, Bates, Altama, Converse, Swat, Oakley.

I´m now running a set of Asolo FSN 95, and i like it a lot.

Asolo is a proper walking boot, not a military boot but very good.

Lowa Supercamps. Best boots I've ever owned.

Lowas are very good, I'm getting there.

OK, boots.

The most important thing is that the fit, secondary is that they are sturdy and have good soles.

Gore-tex boots are good at keeping the water out however if the water does get in they will stay wet for a very, very long time.

That feels truly miserable.

I prefer straight leather boots, If you know it is going to be really wet, brush polish on but don't take it off and get your gaiters on.

Whether you want gore-tex or not, high leg or not, welted sole or not the best boot manufacturer in the world is Alt-Berg.

Co-incidentally they are also the last remaining British boot maker that make their boots in Britain.

They will measure your feet properly and do 5 different widths, they will also make you a boot for each foot so if you (like everyone in the world) have one foot bigger than the other you get a pair of boots that fit perfectly.

As they custom make boots I suppose they could do some in a colour other than black (they make brown and tan already but not in a temperate, military boot) but really, there is nothing wrong with black boots.

Well there is my tuppence.

Magnums fall apart very quickly under heavy use. I'd also avoid military desert boots unless you go to a desert. They have short lifespan and nearly zero ankle protection.

In fact, I'd avoid all military boots. :)

Lowa and Hanwag is the brands I can recommend after using them all around the world.

The most comfortable hiking boot I ever bought is the Hanwag Alaska GTX. After a ~50km mountain hiking with a 26kg backpack I didn't have a single blister on my feet. It's also great for everyday wear.

843.jpg

duno maybe i was really happy as at the time they where 90 pound boot for 60 quid, deal from the guys at polmil but yeah they are prity hard wearing, first few times out blisters red raw on my heel, after a while and thick pair of socks it got towards the end of the day before the blister would start to form on the heel, so i started wearing them to work odd that i can go all day at work comfeey as any thing but the kneeling and jumping around the forst just seem to rub the heel away

i swear they are getting better hence me saying i felt like i was breaking them in

On the flip side of the magnum coin, my Magnum Full Leather Toe Capped Elites, bought about 10 years ago have only just died (Due to lining giving up the ghost, leather and soles stil had life). They had masses of use were cared for well and kept my feet warm, dry and in one piece. The only time they failed me were in the storm and floods the year before last and that's because I was working in water up to my knees trying to move a three phase box before the water reached the board.

I've not had any experience with the leather/fabric mix boots other than in a pair of Desert Amazon 5's, picked up for £10 after having been worn once or twice by someone else. I certainly wouldn't wear them in the wet...

Currently I'm wearing a pair of LaCrosse Hunting boots, they are awesome, however as they have a very soft sole, for sneaking about, they probably won't last me too long, but they are so quiet, warm and dry.

If you want a good pair of walking boots (soley for walking) and have limited funds, both Brasher and Karrimor KSB's are both regularly appearing in TK Max for between 40 and 50 quid. My Brashers were £40 and were a pair I'd been looking at last season in an outdoor shop for £160... simples.

Thanks Amateurstuntman B) I also agree with what you say.. Altberg will probably be my next port of call as I have odd shaped feet. Long and slim so most boots do not do up tight enough for me. I disagree about what someone said about dessie boots- my most comfy everyday boots are Lowa Timpan dessie boots and they have been up a few mountains in Spain without issue. Magnums are great everyday boots- I wear the old Midnight 6" boot every day at work, but I wouldn't want to wear them in the field. Hi Tec do seem to last forever though. My fave boots I have ever owned are the Danner Acadias I bought back in '91 and although they have been resoled twice, they are still going strong and dry. Wore them in these last few snowy days too in case I have to abandon the 4x4.. Great comfy boots.. but sadly they don't do up quite tight enough for me now. The goretex still works and I have never had water inside them so can't report on that but from what I have heard, I'm glad I haven't..

It's a shame you said you didn't want black boots as I'd be shouting Lowa Mountain boots from the top of the hills at you.

Zero break in time

Zero Blisters

Comfy in every situation I've put them through, festivals, airsoft, mountains, (3 peaks), and they still polish up nicely for work on Monday morning, (for an office).

I've worn them basically everyday for the last 2 years and while they were £120 from Homegaurd in Thrapston, (Northants), they are £120 worth of boot. Soles look like they've got another 4 years left in them and, although I'm not sure if they still do, Vibram who make the soles used to guarentee them for a minimum of 2 years.

Last I checked, Vibram also make the soles for a lot of Karrimore boots as well so maybe worth looking at them as well. KSB's aren't bad but I think they're only in blue.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally would get either a pair of Bates boots or some Israeli commando boots. The bates are very comfortable and very light, and have some of the most comfortable insoles I've ever felt. And the Israeli desert boots are amazing. They're such simple canvas boots, yet they fit so comfortably. Not to mention the price is amazing. I got mine for about $40 shipped, brand new. Though I would get some new insoles for long distance walks.

Depends on what kind of walking you'll be doing and how much you want to spend. I've got an excellent pair of all terrain boots that cost a small fortune but having tried quite a few styles for milsim, I now use US Jungle (aka Panama) boots. The USMC have used these since the '60s and they're light weight, good grips and dry very quickly if they get wet (mine seem very waterproof). I've used them in all weathers and they've never let me down.

They also cost me all of £25!

Archived