Blaster ''Devil'' Heavyweight BBs

Hammerfall

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a shame about the colours, but the performance seems ok.

I'll run a few through one of my Tanaka's, and we'll see.

Ben.

They may improve it so much you will finally hit the door on that old barn...................... :unsure:

Only kidding, only kidding. :D

Would be nice to get a second opinion.

Greg.

What that table doesn't explain is why SGM's are so *suitcase* through my Tanaka's. According to that, they should be the best, and they're not - the Digicon .36's are.

2 reasons

1. your gun fires too hard for SGM's

or

2. your bb's were stored incorrectly and the wax coating is now uneven

1. your gun fires too hard for SGM's

This is a fair point, I find sgms best around 400fps. Sure they are fine at 500, but no real improvement. & at 660 there was no increase in range over 500.

The lighter the bb, the more pronounced any shot to shot fps variation is. So heavier bbs tend to smooth this sort of thing out.

Greg.

Picked up a bottle (3000) of the .30g for £15.00 from my siteowner.

Was running .36 Digicon Straights for an hour or so, but they were too heavy (it was cold, and my Tanaka M40 U.S.M.C. is stock/restricted).

It brightened up a little, so decided to keep sniping, and switch to .29 SGM's. With much fiddling of the HOP, I managed to triple my range, and get some really good long-range eliminations, but their flight was unstable after about 50 metres (wild swings either left or right, usually. I think it's the stock HOP unit). I only had 30 or so, and they went fairly fast.

Loaded up the white Blaster Devil .30's. These are apparently made by MadBull, and to a tolerance of 0.01. There are no visible seams, and the BB's left no weird residue or oil on my hands.

Overall, they seem to be a great compromise, performance-wise, between the range of an SGM, and the flight path stability of the DS's. I had the long range, but the extra weight provided a much more predictable, consistent right hand swing at the 50 metre mark. I'm pretty sure this will go away with upgrades, like it did in my Tanaka A.I.C.S.

Really happy with these. Can't fault them for the price, either! I'll be picking up a bottle of the white .36's for windy days/close range work.

Ben.

Blaster 0.36's are a mingy shade of green...

Don't knock em til you've tried them. One man's minger is another man's beauty...

:unsure: are we still talking about BB's? :P

I've got both the Blaster .36's and .43's coming this week, and I've got Digicon .36's and .43's to compare them against so I'll shoot all of them and offer a comparison. Woot for the extra hour of sunlight after work now :D

Hehehhehe I'm pretty sure I saw some at the site today?

Might have been a different weight.

I'm only really interested in white BB's. Call me racist if you will.

Ben.

Fraid they only have the white .3's, green .36's & tan .4's at present.

MB's web site say that making the heavier bbs in white is difficult.

Blaster on the other hand, are prepared to 'explore the possibility', sighting the fact that they used to do .28's in dark green but now (due to popular demand) offer a white .28.

Funny, 'cos I'm sold on the fact that they both (MB & devil) come from the same factory. :D

ANY HOW:

Gave the Devils a side by side test, using SGM's as a bench mark.

I used 2 vsrs, one at 500fps(ish) & one at 400.

Set A4 paper targets at 45m, in virtually still conditions.

Took 10 shots from each gun at the targets (separate target for each 10 shot group) with sgms, & Devil .4, .36 & .3's. 8 targets in total.

I also fired two 16 shot groups at a separate 45m target with a .22 Skan AR. One before & one after the softers, as a sort of control, to measure my own shooting: Both gave 35mm groups.

Long story short:

The .4's gave the best group through the 500fpser.

The .3's gave the best group through the 400fpser. (Baring 1 'flyer',,,,,,er ;) )

The .36's gave the worst through both.

So that's the edited hi-lites, here's the nitty gritty:

The 500fps gun is zeroed & the hop is set for sgms & 60mm. I did not adjust the sights or hop for any of the ammo used through it.

The sgm's gave a 120mm group which was centered 80mm above the target (a cross in the center of the sheet of papar) & measured approx 110mm high by 65mm wide.

The .4's gave a 90mm group, which was centered 100mm bellow the target & measured approx 60mm high by 80mm wide.

The .36's only hit the target 9 times, the 9 hits gave a 150mm group, which was centered 80mm below the target & measured 100mm high by 140mm wide.

The .3's gave a 110mm group, which was centered 15mm above the target & measured 100mm high by 105mm wide.

Interesting how the sgms deviated so much vertically & so little horizontally compared to the .4's which did the opposite.

I guess this was that they were more sensitive to hop & fps variation???????

So now the 400fpser. This is set for sgms at 50m. I retained the usual hop setting for the sgms & .3's, but had to add 8 'clicks for the .36's & .4's. The sight remained the same for all.

The sgms gave a 130mm group, which was centered 75mm above the target & measured 130mm high by 65mm wide.

.4's only hit the target 8 times, the 2 misses were definitely low (just), as was the whole group. The 8 were centered 110mm low of the target & measured 95mm high by 105mm wide.

God this is boring.

.36's only hit the target 8 times (I think the 2 misses dropped short, harder to see than the .4's). The 8 hits gave a 120mm group, which was centered 60mm below the target (remember this was with + 8 clicks on the hop) & measured 115mm high by 115mm wide.

.30's, 150mm group, this would have been 90mm all but one 'flyer'. Unlikely as it seams, this may have been me. :D Excluding 'the flyer', the '9' group was centered 70mm above target & measured 80mm high by 70mm wide. 8 of the 9 were within 30mm in the width! Making an even more impressive 80mm group, measuring 80x30!!!!!!!! The tightest of the batch. Baring the two.

I can't believe I just typed all that! Or that anyone will read it. :rolleyes:

All these bb's are currenly in stock at Airsoft Armory.

Greg.

Nice testing Greg.

So, overall, which would you pick up for your 500 FPS VSR if the shop was out of SGM's and DS .36's? The .4's?

Ben.

Actually this is a tough choice.

You can see the results for yourself & really, there is very little in it.

On the face of it, both the .4 & .3 Devils are better than sgms. :mellow: (I know you said the shop was hypothetically out of sgms :o ).

Bare in mind the .3's did have a pair of wonky shots in their 400fps group which could be down to the bb.

I'd also like to try them at longer ranges.

The .4 may be the best beyond 70m, or require more hop than my guns can give.

With the 400fpser, the .4's would be out of the question. Having to use almost maximum hop just to get a bb 45m was, well, er, no good.

So for the 400fps, I think I would spend a bit more time getting to know the .3's. For me, it ain't just about accuracy at a specified distance. It's more about the flight path & how the wind effects this.

At 500fps it's a toss up between the .3's & .4's. They both appear good. It will depend on how they fly beyond 70m.

& it's hard to move from an old favorite. The SGM's have served me well & I kind of know how they will perform in all conditions.

& then there is colour. <_<

Even if the .4's are brilliant, I can't see them as well as white.

I wish the suppliers/manufacturers would wake up, listen & stick to white. Or as pale a shade as possible.

If they did that, life would be a lot easier.

Flight time on the .4's was not noticeably longer than the others. So, no advantage/disadvantage there. The .4's hit a lot harder. Noticeably so. A much noisier impact, plus noticeable impact damage to the backstop. I guess this is good as there is a little more chance of people noticing & taking their long range hits. <_<

Long story short, it will all depend on how the .4's hold up at longer range, if I can see them & if a vsr can give 'em enough hop to allow a flat(ish) flight path out to & beyond 70m. I suspect the .3's (like sgms) will become very wind sensitive (having lost most of their energy) beyond 70m, where as the .4's will still be going strong.

I guess at this point I have to rethink my whole idea of testing the bb's at 45m :rolleyes:

Truth is it was easier, as my local range (controlled environment) is only 45m long.

Setting up a controlled area beyond that takes longer & I was a bit pushed for time.

Greg.

I spent an hour after work shooting on my 'target range'. Paced out a distance of 120 feet, and a second distance of 210 feet. Set up two targets - A4 pieces of paper with a random bullseye I found on the Interwebs. A very light breeze at times, but on the whole the air was calm.

After a mag of warm up shots and adjustments to the scope and hop unit, I was able to hit the 120 feet target pretty consistently. I took the approach of 'shoot as you would in the field'. Free standing and some supported shots.

Using the 0.4g bb's, for the 120ft target I stood with no support. Managed to hit the target 6 or 7 times out of 10 shots. Fairly happy with that, the BB's were going where I wanted them to go.

Moving onto the 210ft target, leaning against a tree for support I only managed to hit the target 3 out of 15 times.

Image050.jpg

The 12 that missed fell around the target, either hitting the tree it was on or within a couple of feet either side (I guess...). No major fliers which was a plus. Visibility of the BB's in flight was surprisingly good. The tan colour of the .4's shows up nicely. Both the .4's and the .36's have a polished finish.

No pictures or target shooting on the .36's, I was having too much fun with the .4's :D. Furthest shot I measured out was while sitting down, aiming 7 or 8 feet off the floor I managed to hit a body-width tree 255 feet away.

One point to consider is the Gspec hop unit isn't as efficient at hopping heavyweight BB's without modification. So all you APS users may be able to get even greater range with these. But all in all, so far it looks like money well spent. Sunday will tell all (hopefully).

1, So are you impressed enough with them to buy more?

I certainly am.

2, I think these could possibly be a cheaper substitute for SGM's, and if they make them in white, for Digicon Straights as well.

Ben.

1, The .4's? Not without further, long range testing. & different light conditions to see if I can track them. They are fine on a well lit green (foliage & grass) back ground, but dissapear against some barks & soil types.

However, the .3's have deffinately grabbed my attention. I think I'll give them a closer look to see if the flyers were me or the bb's. They were the last to be fired, so I may have been a little lazy. 10 shots isn't really enough is it?

So when I get a bit of time....................

2, I already use Guarder High Precision Made .28's as a poor mans SGM (£10 for 3000 :P ) for 400fps + electro snipers. ;)

Greg.

• 2 weeks later...

So, I got a bit of free time today & spent it wisely, getting to know the .3's:

They are, for the most part, blinkin' amazing, but then, one will just go berserk!

They remind me of digicons in that respect. About 1 in 10 fly way off the group.

Originally I had put this 'flyer' down to me, but having had time to focus solely on the .3's (about 200 shots) I was both impressed & annoyed.

The bulk give excellent results, really tight groups. but the dodgy ones spoil it.

At 450fps @ 45m. I was getting some very consistent shooting, shots landing within an inch, then one would break free & dodge off randomly any where from 6" to 3'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish there was a way to find & filter out the 'dodgy' ones.

Any one else having the same results?

Greg.

Archived