Hop-up rubber for AW 338 (extremely velocity)

debris

What is ASR? And I have a problem with airsoftreat forum's registration - "Guest you are banned..." :( . WTF?

you don't need to register to view threads, to use search you do. guests are probably banned from some areas of the forum, or your IP is banned or something. anyway I don't do troubleshooting for other forums on other different forums :P

sticking to the topic in hand (if we wanna talk 400' shots make another thread or something) debris you are more likely to find good info from asr as fps limits are more relaxed in the usa, and they have over 195 pages in the snipers perch section for you to wade through ;)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Debris,

The prometheus red hopup rubber rips very easily and doesn't tolerate cold temperatures.

I'd recommend the Guarder 70 rubber. It's also cheaper to replace.

Two variants of rules are in Ukraine. First has 220 m/s top limit for snipers and second 250 m/s. Why I haven't to strive for max result if rule allow it?

You mean 220m/s with .20s, right? :)

What kind of minimum shooting distances you have over there?

I'm asking because your gun is over 7 Joules which can put holes into people, kill birds, and smaller mammals 20-30 meters away.

Debris,

The prometheus red hopup rubber rips very easily and doesn't tolerate cold temperatures.

I'm asking because your gun is over 7 Joules which can put holes into people, kill birds, and smaller mammals 20-30 meters away.

As I said, dangerously high. There was a South African Firearms expert called upon to testify in a UK court as part of a case and his best estimate was that Lethal injuries could occour with energy levels as low as 4j.

For those people who no doubt are going to complain that this thread is in danger of turning into another in a long line of threads where the muzzle energy becomes the focus rather than the question the OP has asked - really, at that sort of power what did you expect?

Its probably better to lock it entirely and point the OP at forums where his question could be easily answered (I'm thinking of ASR as well) given that while chaps with 800fps VSR's don't skirmish with them, they should at least know what hop rubbers are the best at extreme power levels.

This is my fav photo to demonstrate the responsibility what comes with power.... Local CQB, under 350fps/.20, up and close... Invite only event, all guns chronoed by skilled chrono guys... Guy wore helmet, face protection and fully sealed goggles. Shot between goggles and helmet.

http://web.axelero.hu/szlejer2/under350fps.jpg

As I said, dangerously high. There was a South African Firearms expert called upon to testify in a UK court as part of a case and his best estimate was that Lethal injuries could occour with energy levels as low as 4j.

As I remember, he was talking about rabits, through the eye or ear cavity. ;)

Mind you, it's a fair point & the '4J lethal' precedent this set, has been sited again & again.

Greg.

This is my fav photo to demonstrate the responsibility what comes with power.... Local CQB, under 350fps/.20, up and close... Invite only event, all guns chronoed by skilled chrono guys... Guy wore helmet, face protection and fully sealed goggles. Shot between goggles and helmet.

http://web.axelero.hu/szlejer2/under350fps.jpg

Wow, that is horrible & a great illustrative reminder of how it can go wrong. That would have without a doubt cost an eye if he had no glasses & it was a bit lower.

I am very surprised at the amount of damage.

I play a fair amount of cqb with a 370 limit & have never seen anything like this. I have received sub 3' shots to bare skin (cheekbone, forehead & bridge of nose) on many occasions & would be horrified to return home with injuries like that.

I have seen a single shot injury to a cheek bone, pointblank 370fps, which didn't look anywhere near as gross. The guy was larking about in a safe zone & didn't think to consider there was one in the chamber so as to speak. Pushed the muzzle into his face & pulled the trigger for a laugh. It gave him a bit of a bruise but had no where near that sort of penetration. He was on .2's, so I wonder of your example was caused by a combination of soft sweaty skin & heavier weight bb's?

I have also seen 2, 500fps incidents, both less than 10 feet. One to the back of the hand which caused it to swell up like a boxing glove, & the other to the bottom lip, which gave it a split like a light punch.

Again, nothing like the penetration in your photo.

I would love to see a photo of how it healed up (or didn't) in an attempt to further understand the nature of the injury.

A great reminder to take care. Thankfully, nothing to do with 400' target shooting. Or the Ukraine's relatively high fps.

On which note, I have to say that I ran 665fps (hold on to your skirts, it was target only) for a while (maybe 500shots) & saw absolutely no deterioration in the firefly hard that was in that particular gun.

Greg.

Firefly or Guarder then I guess - what does that dude running the 827fps VSR use?

On a related note - I've seen a BB lodged under the skin of someone's nose at 380fps in CQB. Initial prognosis was that it would require plastic surgery to fix but thankfully the tissue damage was more minimal than that. Of course the angle of impact, physiological make-up of the person's face and sheer blind luck can affect the resulting injury but given that a 1.35j AEG can produce those sort of results and we're talking about 7j.....you can see the need for a responsible user and a very strict MED.

Of course the angle of impact, phsiological make-up of the person's face and sheer blind luck can affect the resulting injury but given that a 1.35j AEG can produce those sort of results and we're talking about 7j.....you can see the need for a responsible user and a very strict MED.

With out a doubt.

Even with the tightest med adherence, & years of experience, it only takes a guy 10 feet away to pop up in front of you as you pull the trigger (on the target at 45m) & it all goes horribly wrong...........................

That was the one with the split lip. :mellow:

He was a fellow sniper (opposing team, neither of us spotted each other), very understanding & took it in his stride. Still doesn't wear any form of face protection. :rolleyes:

Greg.

I am very surprised at the amount of damage.

We were too... The guy have that kind of "pasty" skin which cracks easily. We theorized that the skin on his forehead was stretched between the goggles and the helmet, so the burst caused more injury than normal. There was minimal bleeding and pain. He kept his cool.

After fixing his wounds he/we played 4-5 hours more CQB without any kind of incident.

Same bunch, no guns changed, no complaints of a hot gun.

This was the worst I ever witnessed... Once I shot a guy (who refused to wear head protection) in the forehead from less than half meters in CQB with a 310fps Mk23 and the result was a minor bleeding wound, nowhere near as bad as this.

Sadly, we can't account for sheer accidents :(

(I also forgot to type a "y" above - sorry!)

I know, so imagine the result at 800fps. :waggle:

I don't think I could live with that, no matter, how 'it wasn't anyones fault'. :(

Greg.

We were too... The guy have that kind of "pasty" skin which cracks easily. We theorized that the skin on his forehead was stretched between the goggles and the helmet, so the burst caused more injury than normal. There was minimal bleeding and pain. He kept his cool.

After fixing his wounds he/we played 4-5 hours more CQB without any kind of incident.

Same bunch, no guns changed, no complaints of a hot gun.

This was the worst I ever witnessed... Once I shot a guy (who refused to wear head protection) in the forehead from less than half meters in CQB with a 310fps Mk23 and the result was a minor bleeding wound, nowhere near as bad as this.

Thankfully it is the exception.

Worth publishing though, especially as a reminder for all those working with 'hotter' weapons.

Greg.

Debris,

Minimum is 20-25m for different rules.

Minimum is 20-25m for different rules.

:mellow:

Remind me not to play the Ukraine.

7j @ 25m.

Might just as well shoot myself point blank with a Webly Tempest.

Oh no, I gave that up as a pre-teen. :unsure:

Greg.

20-25m is stupidly close even at 500fps.

My site used to have a 20m med like most back in the days before ukara and all the recent ###### happening.

But moved it to 30m med for snipers over 350fps and put in a 10m semi auto for everything else, due to the amount of injurys caused.

These were mainly aeg users getting hit point blank,and not bad injurys, but enough to draw blood.

for example...i hit my mate at around 45m with a 500fps l96 and took his front tooth right out and burst his gum and lip at the same time.

for example...i hit my mate at around 45m with a 500fps l96 and took his front tooth right out and burst his gum and lip at the same time.

Longer MED's are sensible.

This contact sport is dangerous and accidents will happen. We may accept that you could get injured (lose teeth etc). For example; I have cracked a few players teeth, yet with sub 300fps AEG at 15-20m :huh:

However, once you cross a certain line and enter power levels that can penetrate deeper into flesh, the sport could be lethal and no one expects to be put in this situation.

This is an important factor that all organisers should remember; in all countries.

3 Joule is a fine power level for extreme games, in my opinion and need not be taken higher. Otherwise the guns may aswell be called "Air rifles" rather than "Airsoft."

Anyway, can we please :offtopic2: get back ontopic about the rubbers, now we have all had a rant :rolleyes: otherwise this thread will, no doubt be locked :locked:

Good Hunting ;)

Righty...

Come on guys, let's just keep this on Topic.

It's legal over in the OP's country to use that velocity, so it's OK to discuss his requirement.

This is not about what WE think is safe or sensible. If it veers away any more, I'll just close it.

If you want to discuss 'high power' start a thread on it and discuss it sensibly.

I dunno why i didn't actually chip in with this earlier:

I used a firefly hard rubber in my AW-338. I ran that at 500fps on CO2, but for maybe a few hundred shots hitting targets i turned it up to near enough 700fps. It worked well and the rubber survived it, so much so that i used it for a few hundred more rounds at 500fps and it still gave very satisfactory results :)

On a side note, when i chrono'd that 700fps i put my finger on the other side of the chrono and stupidly got my brother to shoot the rifle through. It hit my finger about 6 inches away from the barrel. It made nothing more than a bloody blister on the tip of my finger - okay, i couldn't move my finger for a few days, but it wasn't THAT bad :rolleyes:

I dunno why i didn't actually chip in with this earlier:

I used a firefly hard rubber in my AW-338. I ran that at 500fps on CO2, but for maybe a few hundred shots hitting targets i turned it up to near enough 700fps. It worked well and the rubber survived it, so much so that i used it for a few hundred more rounds at 500fps and it still gave very satisfactory results :)

On a side note, when i chrono'd that 700fps i put my finger on the other side of the chrono and stupidly got my brother to shoot the rifle through. It hit my finger about 6 inches away from the barrel. It made nothing more than a bloody blister on the tip of my finger - okay, i couldn't move my finger for a few days, but it wasn't THAT bad :rolleyes:

I bet you were glad it was just your finger! Tough little fellers ain't they. I bet it would have hurt a lot more if it was a .4 on the forehaed. :(

Greg.

I dunno why i didn't actually chip in with this earlier

... possibly because you were ranting on about running at such a high fps anyway.. even though you used to run it at 700fps urself :blink: sorry just couldn't let it go lol

ok back on topic now... :)

Archived