Wimbledon

elrey

Is anyone else watching the tournament, or are you mostly ###### that it's wasting TV slots (Delfi? :P)?

I'm hoping to see Federer break Sampras' record of 14 slam titles, although I'm keeping a close eye on Andy Murray as well--it'd be nice for him to at least reach the final.

I think Murray is one to watch this year and for two reasons. The man who knocked him out last year aint playing :P but also he's got a huge fanbase behind him at every match and I should imagine that makes quite a difference.

Everyone I know dislikes Murray for his disparaging comments about the England football team.

I dislike him because I remember when some English sports still had a display of something called good sportsmanship - the idea is to preserve the pride of your opponent and uphold the good nature of the game - not shout 'YES! AHHHHHHHHH!!!' every time you win a rally <_<

Ben.

The Sky gods are displeased, not even the rain festival known as "Wimbledon" has appeased them.

We must all participate in the precipitation ceremony of "Bar-B-Que" lest we all wither and die at the hands of the evil "hosepipe-ban"

Peace be upon your lawns.

Everyone I know dislikes Murray for his disparaging comments about the England football team.

Presumably he said the England football team is rubbish and full of overpaid pansies like everyone else does?

If thats what he said i'd be inclined to agree :P

I've been watching it a bit, not a bad spectator sport i must say (i can't play to save my life) :D

Oddly enough British mountain bikers generally do well and win a lot of races (downhill particually, iirc mens and womens titles last year were taken by British riders, again), but you never hear about it in the news because they are always going on about football, the sport that this country does seem to suck at hugely.

I love the tennis :) Ben, if you watched it you'd realise 90% of the players shout ''Yes'' and ''C'mon'' :P I thought it was funny what he said about the English... but i'm Scottish, so i'd naturally find that funny :unsure:;)

Anyway, i watch a lot of it. I was saddened to see Sharapova go out so early; she was tipped to do well, i hope one day she does get back to past form. The more see of her the happier we'd all be really, even you Ben! Watch her matches on mute though.

funny how tommy haas decided to whack Llodra with a drop shot, I wish I could have done that to opponents back in my high school days.

pretty cool also how haas decided to goof around with the ballboys/ballgirls afterwards, once in a lifetime opportunity for them...

funny how tommy haas decided to whack Llodra with a drop shot, I wish I could have done that to opponents back in my high school days.

pretty cool also how haas decided to goof around with the ballboys/ballgirls afterwards, once in a lifetime opportunity for them...

Well, it was a nice gesture given he did just flatten one of them! :P

Tommy's doing all right in the semifinal, but he's either going to have to find a way to break Roger's serve (not too likely), or keeping holding and hope to do better in the tiebreaks than he did in the first set...

Edit: Well that's done, time for Andy v Andy!

How much does this rubbish cost the BBC?

And now, we have a weekend of foreign (minority) sports folks dominating our weekend TV.

The early evening News has already been shifted, on multiple occasions, to a minority channel because a Scot was busy losing at a stupid game that the vast majority have no interest in.

It's actually illegal not to pay for this too ...

What would you suggest they show instead then?

I imagine showing tennis probably costs less per hour than it does to make programs, and what evidence do you have to suggest that the vast majority have no interest in tennis?

EDIT : It seems to be quite popular for people to moan about the BBC moaning about them showing something they don't like, i'm sure everyone can name a few things that are shown which they don't like, the BBC can't appeal to everyone at the same time. Also people can very rarely suggest something better to show instead, they already run a lot of repeats as it is without having more time to fill.

Personally i'd be happy to pay the licence fee for the programs that i like if there are no adverts as a result, can you imagine Top Gear with adverts all the time? Oh yes, go look at Dave, its *suitcase* !!

What would you suggest they show instead then?

I imagine showing tennis probably costs less per hour than it does to make programs, and what evidence do you have to suggest that the vast majority have no interest in tennis?

Are you really suggesting that tennis is a mainstream sport in the UK? Wake up! How many people do you know who play (or even watch) tennis regularly? It's a minority sport and I don't see too many tennis courts anywhere in the UK either. Are you suggesting that there's really any kind of real interest in tennis in this country at all?

I'd suggest that the BBC should use their usual programming schedule rather than imposing this minority nonsense on the average licence payer. The evening news would be a good place to start. Most people might want to watch that.

I do know quite a few people who do play tennis actually, and there are plenty of tennis courts around here. Minority sport, probably not although its fair to say its not the most popular.

But really, have you ever considered that Wimbledon might be part of their programming schedule with it being a yearly event? As much as i like the news i don't see a huge issue with the news at 6 being moved if a match over runs for a 2 week period each year, you can watch it at 10 anyway, and if you do watch the afternoon, evening and late news you'll soon realise its nearly the same through the day anyway (aka, repeats) so you only really need to watch the news at 10pm.

But anyway, to take your stance on things...

..the sports section of the evening news is always taken up by some stupid footballers busy loosing at a game this country sucks at instead of showing something about sports where this country does do well.

Its illegal not to pay for that you know!

But come on, football gets a huge amount of air time on the beeb anyway, why not let a 'minority' sport like tennis have some time each year?

EDIT : I don't see how this is really imposing it on people, maybe i have an extremely advanced TV but it doesn't force me to watch things, it has many other channels and an off button that i can press!

Are you really suggesting that tennis is a mainstream sport in the UK? Wake up! How many people do you know who play (or even watch) tennis regularly? It's a minority sport and I don't see too many tennis courts anywhere in the UK either. Are you suggesting that there's really any kind of real interest in tennis in this country at all?

I'd suggest that the BBC should use their usual programming schedule rather than imposing this minority nonsense on the average licence payer. The evening news would be a good place to start. Most people might want to watch that.

Murrays 5 setter with Wawrinka on Monday averaged 8.5m viewers. Admittedly its a bit of a one off because its peak time and invloving the only British male left in the tournament who has (make that had) a serious chance of winning it, but those viewing levels do suggest tennis is a mainstream sport in the UK, if only for two weeks in June/July, and therefore IMO its absolutely worth the beeb showing it. And too right if they are going to spend millions on the rights they should show every match across the two channels, red button and online.

Archived