How did you decide which gear to choose?

jingernut

Just wondering, with the vast array of gear that is out there, how did you decide on the loadout / gear that you have at the moment?

Me, I have just got some flektarn trousers and top, some old boots and a Bulle MOLLE Recon Chest Harness (which is great!).

My "look" is obviously not based on anything other than someone who doesn't know how to dress properly :D

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, it's all practical.

I have no, 'look', as such. I just use what I find works best.

A good example is in my choice of clothing: Camouflage is Realtree Hardwoods Green & for years & CQB'd in a fleece hoody. The hood & material afforded good protection without masking hit detection.

All this 'dress up like a soldier' rubbish is beyond me. Fairplay if you like that sort of thing but me, I just like shooting y'all. :D

Greg.

Don't worry, you already made the most important decision. You wear flecktarn :bounce:

I take it that was a good choice then? It's very light coloured. Might invest in the darker variation at some stage.

There is so much cool gear out there though, just not sure what I would purchase.

Modern gear i've always gone with what I like the look of and what works for me. Mostly I go for authentic real world setups tweaked for airsoft purposes.

Historical gear, my team all decided to go as german fallschirmjager, so we came up with a basic set of 'requirements' and each added our own extras as we saw fit. As all of the WW2 games we attend end up being weekenders it helps to have a team identity and unified look about you.

My teamleader decided that DCU (US 3-color desert pattern) was so cool and so nice and so wonderful (and yet so useless as woodland camo), so he told everyone in the 1st platoon to buy a DCU, as it was going to be the "main gear". Thankfully i managed to convince him to set another "camo pattern" to be able to at least not be like sitting ducks in the forest (that and i didn't want to spend extra money on a desert ghillie, "yet"), so we agreed to get Vegetato in the platoon aswell.

So we usually wear US Woodland, except someone wearing Spanish Woodland (ERDL Pattern iirc), or Tiger Stripe, the ones we had before we created that Airsoft team. In a nearly future we are going to stick to Vegetato and DCU (and maybe a PMC Loadout, we'll see ;) )

Soon i'll try to convince the recon team and my spotter to get some "Realtree" Uniforms, as recons don't want to wear a ghillie, it "slows them down" (or so they say), but for now i'm happy with the vegetato decision :D

Uniform was decided by team as was gear color

Gear i have gone through a few things and physically i do better with a belt based setup as Plate Carriers and Chest Rigs were making me sweat a few extra buckets due to the extra surface area they take up. Basically have ended up with a MOLLE and a oldschool version of the same basic thing since then depending on which one is more kosher to wear

Camo: what works and still looks cool.

Gear: I took a look at SEAL pics and decided what I think would fit me and purchased that. Though, I do look at gear beyond SEAL's, I just thought that they looked cool. Just look at what seems to work well.

Guns: Good prices, good compatibility, and feel. Also what works with the kit, I'm trying to make it look somewhat realistic to pass as some sort of SF, preferably SEAL's but that's not too important.

I don't really decide for myself :)

My team leader gave me a list of gear needed when i joined the team, and that is:

DPM trousers

DPM smock/jacket

DPM shirt (you know... the one labeled jacket, but really is a shirt)

DPM webbing

Mk 6 helmet

DPM flag jacket

So that's what i bought :)

The same goes for weapons :)

Basically started with what i could afford and what was readily available to me. This meant starting off with DPM which works well for most of the year. I have been playing for 2 and a bit years now and have only just got some new camo, MARPAT and that was only because our team was going for a team look at the gz weekender, still it seemed to work well, just going to have to mix the two together as i dislike the MARPAT shirt setup, and the DPM shirt has pen loops on the inner chest pockets that are the perfect size for AEP mags. ;p

PMC/Contractor is increasingly becoming a cop-out term for people who want to give their gear a name but don't have an authentic kit. Its not a dig at people who don't do 'impressions', but people who have a jumble of assorted kit and choose to label it "this is my PMC-ish loadout".

5.11's, sunglasses, a baseball cap and a random platecarrier doesn't make you a PMC.

When I started skirmishing about 4-5 years ago I had very simple and cheap set ups. I was of the opinion that spending a fortune on gear was silly and would smirk at those who did. My first loadout comprised of an ICS MP5, a couple of high caps and old cadet DPM's.

However over the last few years I have been playing in fairly accurate impressions. From old school (70s-80s) SAS to my current Aussie load out. Sure in the end its all un-necessary weight but it definitely enhances my experience.

Only trouble with being accurate is that it restricts your choice of guns. For example my current Aussie loadout limits me to: M4A1, F88 esc Aug, SR-25, M249, browning HP and USP.

Just curious Angel (not having a dig at you), but was does consitute as a PMC loadout? I'm just saying as the ones I met in Afghanistan were just a mix of civvy clothing with a plate carrier and some other random gear.

I don't know if I can list items or pieces of kit that makes a PMC kit look authentic. But comparing what you've seen in person to some of the pictures around the forum, you must know what i'm getting at?

What i'm try to say is there are a lot of people putting a platecarrier over some casual clothes, putting on a shemagh and getting "delusions of hardcore". They don't seem content with "its airsoft kit", it has to be "this is PMC". Like black cotton overalls and an S10 is a close quarters or CT style kit, not "SAS CRW". Etc Etc

Airsoft kit can be just that, without an inappropriate real world title.

Archived