customs seizures?

SilentScope

Im going to order a Tanaka SAA revolver from HK and without going into too much detail, I dont want anything changed on it. How often has anyone here in the US had run-ins with customs when ordering from overseas? Like package inspection, seizure, etc. I'm just wondering because I have never had any problems nor has anyone I know so I'm starting to wonder if its all just BS.

Whoa, thats a really old pistol. I ordered batteries and a charger from UNCo and Customs did not check it at all. Like what Antagon said to me in an e-mail awhile back, "...only 5% of packages are check by customs..."

I can't comment on the grandfather rule that you speak of...

I can tell you that sometimes things will go through and you will never have a problem...sometimes that doesn't work. I ordered a SP M203 grenade launcher before I even knew anything about importing and really airsoft in general. I thought nothing of it...but when it came it had absolutely no orange and no covering on the trademarks. I just assumed that was the norm. Cut to a couple months down the road...I order a new TM M4 RIS. I ordered it 2 weeks before Thanksgiving and it came the Friday before Christmas. Why? Customs saw that the company I bought it from hadn't removed the trades and didn't have a large enough orange tip to suit them. I got lucky...they just checked it and refused the package...sending it back to the company. Hence the huge delay...

I think it's always a risk, but if you talk with the people you're going to buy it from...they should be able to help you get what you want without losing anything. Uncompany has been wonderful for me to work with...they've always done the right thing to get it here without ruining it. Anyway...just my experiences.

Hannibal

My friend and I ordered a KSC G19 from Hong Kong. When it arrived we found yellow tape on it saying that it had been checked by customs. It got here really fast, though. The gun did have an orange tip, but as I recall, nothing was done about the trademarks. then again, they weren't the "real" ones.

I've been ordering from Hong Kong retailers since 1999 and I've only encountered two customs incidences. The first was when I bought several GBB magazines from Redwolf that had the trademarks uncovered. Customs just so happened to inspect the package and they seized it because of the trademarks. Redwolf re-sent the magazines to me and everything went fine.

The second incident was sort of odd. I ordered a WA Beretta M1934 Silencer Model (Limited Edition) from Redwolf and customs just so happened to inspect the package. I received a call from the US Customs and Border Patrol office and the lady said the barrel and silencer didn't have the orange tip. She told me it had to be sent back or something to that nature.

Amazingly the gun arrived a couple of days later! The gun had the silencer removed, but there was in fact orange paint on the barrel. I guess the inspectors removed the silencer and spotted the orange and decided to let it through. The Beretta trademarks were uncovered, but they didn't mention anything about that.

Interestingly enough, when my GBB magazines were seized, the letter of seizure they sent me listed Beretta as the offending trademark!

A quick word of warning:-

Recently I've heard of a few incidences of trademarks being "obliterated" by the use of a dremel or grinder.

You might be better off asking your retailer to "obliterate" them using putty or tape (which you must leave on, of course) rather than risk the untouched gun arriving in the USA where a customs guy called Hank will practise his dremmeling skills on it.

LOL  :)

Thats funny. Why do you have to hide the trademarks anyway?

FERG

Apparently US Customs are very big on unlicensed trademarks. Breach of copyright and all that.

TBH, I have no idea how US customs know what is a licensed trade and what isn't. I mean, do they have an airsoft expert who knows that ICS are licensed to use Olympic Arms logos or that Classic Army is licensed to use Armalite?

My friend ordered a few star mags for his m16 from someone on ebay.

when he eventually got it, it had a customs report thingy taped to it.

it also had more money in stamps than what the mags cost. it was funny.

I had a 500$ STAR UMP Seized by customs recently.  The box arrived empty at my house with some yellow customs tape on it.  Well that was a fun ride awhile it lasted.

*cries*

Isn't that because importing airsoft guns into Canada is illegal unless done so through a licensed distributor?

I ordered the rare pre-release one of a kind STAR UMP kit from Japan. I never once thought about seizure because the other side had assured me it would get through just fine. I am in the appeal stage and within 4 - 6 weeks will find out the fate of my UMP.

Lessons learned, order NOTHING from outside Canada unless it is through a licensed retailer.

• 2 weeks later...
15 USC Sec. 5001                                           

TITLE 15 - COMMERCE AND TRADE

CHAPTER 76 - IMITATION FIREARMS

Sec. 5001. Penalties for entering into commerce of imitation firearms

''Look-alike firearm'' defined For purposes of this section, the term ''look-alike firearm'' means any imitation of any original firearm which was manufactured, designed, and produced since 1898, including and limited to toy guns, water guns, replica nonguns, and AIR SOFT guns firing nonmetallic projectiles.  Such term does not include any look-alike, nonfiring, collector replica of an antique firearm developed prior to 1898, or traditional B-B, paint-ball, or pellet-firing air guns that expel a projectile through the force of air pressure.

There it is in black an white. Tanaka SAAs are based off a handgun produced in 1873 so it shouldnt need an orange barrel.

Archived