Lewis gun on a budget

Kalashnikov_kid

Evening everyone,

I'm just getting into WW2 airsoft thanks to Josh at Gunman. My team got into nam softing (thanks again to josh) last year and now we wanna go one step further back in time. Due to financial reasons we're going to do a french resistance load out. For the most part the weapons are easy to source, problem is our support gunner needs a gun so we've gotta build him one.

Now thing is it had to be one man portable. That wrote off anything on a tripod. It ended up as a toss up between a Bren or Lewis gun, as per the title you can guess which one I went for!

Now before I start I must point out that I lack any tooling more sophisticated than a dremel, power drill and hand tools. Also I'm trying to use as much found material as possible to keep cost down.

Righty, less talk more pics...

Front end

Slightly out of spec with regards width .5in wider and the angle of the taper is quite steep, but hey!

DSC00507.jpg

Made from and old SIG water bottle, desk lamp head and some waste pipe

Receiver

Gone for an AR15 receiver as it's what I had. A g3 would look better but I didn't have one to hand and cost is an issue :( cut down VN high cap will provide ammo feed (more details later)

DSC00508.jpg

DSC00509.jpg

Pistol grip

Armalite grip sanded and spayed for the woodish look :)

DSC00510.jpg

And together

DSC00511.jpg

quick mock up with an old stock to get a feel for the whole 50" that is a lewis gun!

DSC00513.jpg

Gonna cut the barrel bands and heat sink fins tomorrow, will have more pics soon :) sorry for the upside down pics photobucket's on the fritz!

Comments welcome

Thanks

K_K

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, found the plastic i was gonna use had hairline cracks in it so was no good. Moved onto the mag shell...

Mag is a disk 8" x 1.25" I wanted to make it out of an existing item rather than scratch build which led me to a 8" cake tin!

Tin (rim removed)

012.jpg

looks more flared in the picture than in the flesh. only about 1/4 inch between top and bottom radius

Other way up

013.jpg

Printed and scaled a engineers drawing of the 97rnd drum, mines a 47. only difference is height and addition of a leather loop. Image has been glued to some 1mm HIPS to act as a template.

014.jpg

more to come soon...

• 4 weeks later...

Righty ho gent's got a couple more hours in on the old beast. It now fires (very loudly!) at 320fps and managed to get the front end on temporarily. Still need to expanding foam it for strength.

Time for some pics...

Got a JP/bush master front end thing out of the spares bin. It's perfect as a internal base for the heat shield...

031.jpg

Sorry for the crappy pic! Added foam spacers to centralize the heat shield and my own version of the Madbull ultimate sound amp thing made from a pop bottle and a cut down M249 mk1 flash hider. Ugly as hell but is hidden by the heat shield and REALLY works. Receiver is starting to take shape with the addition of cut down tubing on each side.

032.jpg

Heat shield added to test fit. Found out that the pop bottle needs to be longer (500ml type) to fit properly with front end dimensions. Will be changed before foaming.

033.jpg

Dangerous end showing amplifier cone, please not that the jagged white area is in the process of grinding down, and yes that's duct tape wrapped round! Outer edge is quite beat up but the whole gun is getting abusive ride on the weathering train when it's done :)

034.jpg

A few scale shots, it's huge!...

Our support gunner holding it. He's 5'10" ish

035.jpg

Against my M16

036.jpg

And finally some more mock ups with the un finished mag and temp stock....

037.jpg

038.jpg

039.jpg

Need to tweak the dimensions a little to get the length right. The front end needs to move away from the body to accommodate cooling fins and I need to start on the stock next I think and fill and sand the mag shell.

She's looking pretty darn rough atm but we're getting there slowly...

Let me know what you think

Ta

Dave

Looking good, but is the barrel housing not a little too large in diameter?

FWWlewisG.jpg

Easily rectified I'm sure and maybe just an optical illusion caused by the lack of the merging bit at the back and the colour.

Anyway, not meaning to sound negative, great project and it's coming on well.

Cheers.

Hi guys, heat shield is approximately 10mm wider than real steel if my scaling is correct. It seems worse because of the lack of fins at the rear and the slightly steep angle at which the barrel necks down. It'll look a lot neater after the fins are installed and barrel bands put in.

As for the mag placement it is only a mock fit for peeps to get an idea of where I'm at. The mag needs to be recessed slightly to allow for the taller profile of the AR receiver. To grind the body any more will loose to much strength.

Keep the criticism up. It keeps me focused! just remember this is a tight (no) budget build :)

Ta

Dave

Getting everything spot-on dimension-wise is probably the trickiest part of any custom build like this one, especially when you're on a tight budget and don't have access to machine tooling, and are working purely from photos.

I think it's coming along really well.

Once it's finished and painted/weathered, it should look close enough.

Remember, hardly anyone that sees it 'in the flesh' will have seen a real one, or even a picture in a lot of cases.

It's easy to see little differences on here, when you have pictures readily available, but once it's out 'in the field', no one will care about (or even notice most likely) any small errors in scale.

The WWII Airsofters aren't too critical when it comes to it, they tend to just be happy that people have made an effort to get the look of their weapons/gear close, particularly so with the rarer weapons.

• 1 month later...

Cor it's been a while! Bit of an update for you gents....

Got the mag back from the fiberglasser (my mate Matt) and got my support gunner Rob to fill and sand the mag to give it a more pressed steel look. Then I got some 1mm HIPS sheet and started to make the barrel bands

002-1.jpg

Strips are screwed at the join underneath and glued on.

004-2.jpg

After 2 coats of primer and the first of 3 colours (Black, Pewter, Silver) applied

007-2.jpg

008-1.jpg

Started on the feed channel for the top mounted mag. 2mm polycarbonate epoxy'd in place. Quite proud of the receiver but it shouldn't look to bad when in play. Also note it stops in line with the split body. Want to keep the tip up feature of the AR for cleaning and repair.

011-1.jpg

Started the case that the hicap internals will sit in. Trying to replicate the "hump" on the Lewis as closely as possible. The Allen bit is there as part of the wind key I have planned.

012-2.jpg

The cut out lines up nicely with the receiver and is 40mmx10mm for reliable feeding i hope :P

013-2.jpg

Also made a start on the fore sight. It'll be disguised nicely with body filler and plastic sheet :)

005-3.jpg

Choppy chop

006-2.jpg

That's all for now folks. Comments welcome

Thanks

Dave

UPDATE

Added the sides to the wind mech. Need to put a small winder on the Allen bit. gonna leave a small length of it exposed for quick winding in the field (electric screwdriver!)

002-3.jpg

Inside the mag well. just to show the ammo chute

003-3.jpg

Upper chute and polycarbonate receiver top. Using m4 pan head allen bolts and glue where permanent joins are needed and just Allen bolts where access is required.

006-3.jpg

And with hicap in, may pack out the walls with plastic for extra width.

005-5.jpg

Inner mag shell. This will form the body of the hopper, the tin shell is just a lid. The base of it is made from 2mm polycarbonate with 1mm HIPS as the ramps.

007-4.jpg

Rough cut base mounted on the receiver for measuring,

009-3.jpg

Added a gas tube and lower bracket. This acts as an anchor point for the outer barrel. Removable with 3 screws for easy take down.

008-3.jpg

Mag internals now all in place. Two shallow ramps act to funnel rounds into the chute. First tests are good. shot ~1000rounds in one hit and didn't have any feeding problems. Only a few rounds remained in the hopper at the end

014-3.jpg

With the lid on

011-3.jpg

lid is held in place with a split pin. Works really well

013-4.jpg

So far I'm really pleased with the progress, saying that it is at the crappy looking stage atm. It NEEDS a damn good painting soon but I still have loads of receiver details to add first. Off to town today for paint glue and expanding foam. Will add more later today if possible

Comments welcome as always

Ta

Dave

Archived