Sig pictures....FAR TOO BIG!

Just noticed Mower's is rather large. I'd PM him, but it's probably better if a mod does it. I'd hate to seem like some self-righteous *albatross*.

There is no need to feel that way at all. :) If you catch someone for violating forum rules, feel free to kindly inform them. If you don't feel comfortable with it or if the offender doesn't listen to you, please let a mod know.

Yes how about it? They already showed screens of the main character, and even a video demo of Resident Evil 5. It's not Barry  :rolleyes:

Um, your is quite big. is it over forum limit? I don't remember the numbers....but that one is slightly larger than a normal sig picture.....

~P

Umm, Gene? Have you lost your mind?

I don't have a big signature.

AND if you are talking about my quote...

Quotes do NOT take as long to load as a picture. It is not the size that counts, its the colors and shapes in a picture that makes it hard for a 56k to download.

~P

:flamed: Woah, simma donna. Before you go postal on my *albatross*, let me guide you through what we both said:

Um, your is quite big. is it over forum limit? I don't remember the numbers....but that one is slightly larger than a normal sig picture.....

~P

You said you didn't remember, I found that amusing, but at the same time I pointed you to where the answer would be:

Then you went all crazy:

Umm, Gene? Have you lost your mind?

I don't have a big signature.

AND if you are talking about my quote...

Quotes do NOT take as long to load as a picture. It is not the size that counts, its the colors and shapes in a picture that makes it hard for a 56k to download.

~P

I think you got the wrong end of the stick, I was just pointing you to the measurement limits of sig pictures. Sorry that you took it the wrong way.

Ok, the point of the sig image size limit is so that lo-band user can download a page more quickly without being bogged down by images that he doesn't want (although the lo-band user always has the option to turn off auto displaying image, and only display image upon explicit request. Did that back when I was using dialup. :P), so the 400x100 is more like a guideline, and as long as your image is around 40000 pixels, I couldn't care less what shape it's in (unless it's something like 40000x1, don't test my limits <_< ). ;)

Also make sure you compress the image using jpg or gif, or the likes for the same reason that the end user can have a faster download. Arnie doesn't make the rules because he wants to annoy the users, he make the rules so everyone can have a better forum experience. :)

Yeah, one that I've noticed that does this is the one with the white guys with the "Oh, Snap" sign...taunting the little black kids with the "OH, Snap" sign...

That one takes at least a minute to load up all the frames on Dial up. I use Dial up occaisionally when I'm at my grandmothers....no DSL capability.

~P

Remember also, that it's not just about the physical and bitwise size of a signature image, this is about signatures in general.

Some people have text only signatures which is fine, but when that text contains rubbish and takes up more space than most of their posts, it is taking the mickey somewhat.

400x100 pixels is the limit for signature images and it is acceptable to accompany this sized image with one or two lines of text in smallest size font (Size=1). However, when someone has text stretching a good 800 pixels by itself, or a 400x150 pixel image with 3 or 4 lines of text too, it is just messing up the forum.

Signatures are nice to see when thought out properly, but a lot of people quote half the script from their favorite movie and have all manner of other stuff there too and it does just get too much when you are subjected to the same rubbish over and over and over and over and over and over again. :o

------------------------------------------------------------

To put a point to my ramblings, I normally PM people whose signatures are too big and ask them to change them. It is a nice way of doing things and I haven't had a problem so far. However, recently there are SO MANY signatures that are just spamming up the pages, I don't have time to PM everyone concerned. In the last hour I have counted over 30 different users with oversized signatures, be it text, graphics or both.

So unfortunately, I feel I must now take the easier option as otherwise the problem will continue to grow out of control...

If I see an oversized signature while moderating this site, I will remove either the oversized image, or part of the text therein to bring the signature to a mutually acceptable level for everyone. If your signature suddenly looses some weight one day, it is likely because it was outside forum rules.

Of course, you can stop this from happening by reading this post and keeping your signature in trim yourself.

------------------------------------------

Remember: Your signature may be cool for you to display, but it may not be so cool for everyone else that has to trawl through it while they are reading posts on this site. ;)

Thanks for your understanding all :)

Heh. No I think it's good, and thanks for being so patient with us R22 :P

I've tried to shrink mine down a bit...

With judgeman's, he simply needs to cut off some of the white which is nice and easy... Could do something like that in paint.

Most of those are fine, the last one might be a little large. If it's just going over on the horizontal, I don't think it's something to worry about. However, some people's are far too big.

Anyway, guess that's solved now. Remember, there is NO limit to the mod's power! ;)

Edited by Mouse