aznriptide859

The Computer Question Thread

Throughput isnt really important for normal use.
Fast Ssd is fast.
Rugged doesn't mean as much anymore because ssds Don't have moving parts.
Warranty is about the best to look into.
Ssds go all atvonce if they go bad. Very hard to recover. So warranty is key

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

I’ve got a query.

I’ve been playing a lot of FFXV. Currently at lvl 80+, and want to ensure I don’t lose that progress (mobo died last week, so now doing a nearly all new build of the machine)

I acquired my current copy through... unscrupulous means, and want to buy the game on steam. However, I don’t know what steam supports in terms of taking an existing save file, and integrating that into the library and cloud. I also don’t know if it can tell if it’s not a legit copy of the game-save file, and prevents it working.

Has anyone done this before?

Ta

Should be okay if it is a locally saved game.
Cloud? Got no clue but everything points to 'no'.

Sent from my H8324 using Tapatalk

Sorry, not sure if I follow.

What I’m asking is if you have a locally saved game, then purchase that game on steam specifically, can you upload the save file to steams cloud save utility and pickup right where you left off?

The game should have a save game folder.  I don't see why it would tagged as questionable so you should just be able to make a back up of the save file and copy it into the Steam save game folder and let the cloud do it's thing.

I keep a separate save game folder for some games that I can just swap into the Steam save game folder.

Quite.

Turn off Steam cloud backup of your save files for that game.
Put the save file in the Steam folder for local game saves.
Turn on Steam cloud backup for the game.

Steam backs up your save game to the cloud, something something Tifa - Cloud - Final Fantasy joke.

What are peoples thoughts on antivirus software?  My Kaspersky has expired and I don't want to renew it due to the security concerns, warranted or not.  I was thinking about going with Bitdefender but it seems a lot of people think Windows Defender is sufficient nowadays.  Baked into OS etc.  I run adblockers so that filters out a lot of . 

I'm not really keen into the subject (and I know most people are wary of any of it) but my laptop has avast, Malwarebytes, and I run ublock origin and I seem to not have any issues.

I installed Bitdefender and the machine started running like a dog. Tried total AV, was just an advert machine.

Back to malwarebytes and just keep extending the trial.

The steam upload worked, took some detective work as there were 2 places it kept overwriting my decent saves, figured it out in the end!