Magpuls vs. Ranger Plates

Leon Kennedy

34 members have voted

1. 1. Your method?

• Magpuls
    • Ranger Plates
    • Homemade Device

Awhat up Arnies,

I was noticing in pictures today just how much variety there is in methods to remove your magazines from pouches, so I figured I'd open up discussion to what you all like.

Personally I've used normal Magpuls for a while, but I saw on another site how you can turn the Magpul to make a mock-Ranger Plate, and I sure do like how it feels.

I voted ranger plates (i think?).

I have used magpuls on my gbbr mags. I used to have them on my AEG Pmags, and along with the base plate's lip, they worked really well. With the gbbr mags, I'm finding that they don't hold very well to the body and slip about. I've tried rotating them 90 degrees (is this what you meant by "mock ranger plates"? to cover the base of my mags, but now they're all loose and don't stay on. This is most likely attributed to having stretched them onto the AEG magazines. I've left them off for now, hoping that they'll regain their shape.

I'm waiting on a set of ranger plates to arrive. Really looking forward to installing them on my gbbr magazines and comparing them to the magpuls.

Personally I prefer just using my hands. I never really liked grabbing onto a pull or tab as it feels awkward and slightly useless to me. Feels similar to the awkward feeling I have when holding vertical fore-grips vs. Angled or standard rifle grips.

Ranger plates, since Magpuls prevent you storing as many magazines in a pouch as you should be able to. Even if you don't use the Ranger plates for gripping they still act both as a shock buffer if you drop a mag and also as a reference point as to which end of an M4 mag is which (since at *some* point everyone's tried to jam one in the wrong way round under pressure).

I've ran with Magpuls for quite a while now but I have been considering a transition to the ranger plates for my PTW Mags.

When installing the Magpuls I would rotate them by 90 degrees to the standard orientation as I find that method of more use. So, rather than a loop, you would end up with a long tab that sits closer to the baseplate to assist with initial acquisition of the magazine from a pouch. Tricky to explain but it works for me.

With the gbbr mags, I'm finding that they don't hold very well to the body and slip about. I've tried rotating them 90 degrees (is this what you meant by "mock ranger plates"? to cover the base of my mags, but now they're all loose and don't stay on. This is most likely attributed to having stretched them onto the AEG magazines.

Curious mate , are they real ones or Chinese knock offs ? Reason I ask is I've never heard of them stretching like that before .

As to the poll , I have ranger plates on my pmags but on my stanags and every thing else (aug,G36,Galil) I prefer magpuls .

Curious mate , are they real ones or Chinese knock offs ? Reason I ask is I've never heard of them stretching like that before .

As to the poll , I have ranger plates on my pmags but on my stanags and every thing else (aug,G36,Galil) I prefer magpuls .

I'm really not sure. I suppose it's possible that they are knockoffs, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are. One of the pulls in particular is pretty loose, while another one is holding up fine.

I'm really not sure. I suppose it's possible that they are knockoffs, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of them are. One of the pulls in particular is pretty loose, while another one is holding up fine.

Did wonder as I have the real ones and there tight as a drum , did get a Chinese knock off in a trade once and it tore when I was taking it off the mag ! so would think the rubber could stretch with time with use if it can tear that easily .

I think it depends on the material of the mag as mine are all genuine and like CJ.Foxes bought back in the day and they grip some mags better than others.

Generally metal mags are fine but they'll easily slip off my plastic MAG branded mid-caps.

I think you're right, -Drake-, because I noticed the same thing. They seem to grip on metal very well compared to the plastic ones.

And to clarify, by "Magpuls turned Ranger Plate", I did mean the Magpul-approved method of turning a magpul 90 degrees.

I use magpuls in the standard fashion. They hold the mags fine, stop mags bouncing out of my open topped pouches and i tend to reload using the magpul hooked on my index finger.

Mainly, though, they look cool.

I only do it to look cool. What other reason is there?

I should have added a color option. People love accessorizing. I have some black ones and just ordered FDE ones.

I have them on my PTW metal mags now and they don't budge at all. I used to use them on MAG midcaps and if I recall they just weren't as secure on those, but I think that was more to do with the smoothness of the plastic mags than size.

The MAG mids now have lashings of OD 100mph tape and Paracord pulls for that old-school look.

...but it seems like kind of a pain to install them.

I recall back to a fellow airsofter who set about installing them on a batch of PTW mags. Left his hands in a right state afterwards. It looks like it requires some precise actions coupled with a bit of brute force and ignorance. Unfortunately the later usually ends causing more harm than good!

Halfway done installing the ranger plates on my Prowin magazines. Trimmed the included base plates to fit into the lower cavities in the magazines. They are hanging on as they are now but do rattle a bit. I'll have to find an AR magazine spring to clip and stuff under them for proper retention.

I have to say, I like being able to stack my mags side-by-side, right-side-up once again. They are sleek!

I use ranger plates on my PTS PMAGS, dead easy to fit , I have also fitted the "normal" ranger plates to MAG 190 rounders, (also very easy to fit , just 1 alan screw)

I used to use Magpulls on my M4 and M14 hicaps though, and they made the mags a very tight fit in most of my pouches. These are now used with my loner aegs.

I wish they would make ranger plates to fit TM M14 standards...

I need to find a way of attaching ranger plates to my sons LONEX pull string M4 hicaps too, instead of the hinged mag base (with a hole drilled through them for the string?)

I even have ranger plates on all my Glock mags (KSC and TM!)

Jim

I don't want to go through the hassle or cost of installing ranger plates on my PTW mags and with the Magpuls installed it was that much tougher to get them into the mag pouches. Plus, when my mag goes empty I put it back in the pouch topside up, so I know it's empty. Thus, I use paracord & duct tape.

Archived