WE Stuff (I know me posting about WE, what is wrong with the world).

FireKnife

Anyway, just thought I would put this here for those that have missed it:

http://www.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=17141&cateId=122

www.rsov.com/product.php?langId=1&currencyId=1&manufacturerId=10&prodId=17138&cateId=122

So we have a XDM 3.8 that comes with the extended mag parts to allow full size mags to be used and an E2 version of the P226, also comes in Tan.

Now if it wasn't for it being a WE I would have snapped up that 3.8 (the full size I played with left much to the imagination and nothing to the firing feel).

'FireKnife'

Is it me or would anyone else prefer the spare magazine to be a Compact one and leave you the option of buying the full size ones?

I would much prefer that to here is a big and small one, though I suppose that way they appeal to those that want a short barrel but a full capacity (even the I bet the difference in airsoft is something like 21 instead of 25 shots).

'FireKnife'

you didnt like wes full sized xdm? i thought it was quite nice.

also, from what i can tell, it comes with 2 mags. the short one is in the gun with the other outside.

Yes it does come with two, I was more wondering why the two couldn't both be 3.8 size mags, not one full size mag.

Nope I didn't find the shooting experience good at all, that was in a warm day, average temp mag and good green gas. Still felt as lack luster as a basic plastic gun on 134a and it couldn't fling a shot near were the sights were, in fact using the standard irons it was hard to hit a man size target at 15m, something I can do with my 1911 easily, in fact even other WEs I have held could do that. Finally it was a striker fired gun, call me old fashioned but i like a hammer and that grip safety feels like an afterthought.

'FireKnife'

Yes it does come with two, I was more wondering why the two couldn't both be 3.8 size mags, not one full size mag.

Could be something they picked up from the real steel world. Many sub compact guns intended for CCW use come with two mags: one standard and the other with an extended floor plate. Reason is that you holster the short mag and the longer mag being out of the gun is easier to conceal so may as well contain a little extra.

True, have seen that before, with the extended plates for fitting it into a short frame but maintaining the full size grip.

Still I would just have liked it to come in two mag form with the extended sections as extras in case you want to use the other mags you have.

I may get one of these, even though it is a WE and a striker it is about the only striker save the M&P that I like (can't stand the full size XDM but the compact just has something about it).

'FireKnife'

It has threads for an adaptor like the full size so should be able to mount a suppressor.

Might be interesting to see one with a can mounted on it, plus it is a change from the Glock 26 being the only striker fired sub compact that is easy to get hold of. Just for me personally WE have not set a good benchmark, even with the new guns.

'FireKnife'

I might pick up a full sized WE XDM sometime. Its one of the few newer pistols i don't find offensively ugly. Plus there's just a shortage of anything else that interests me since KWA delayed the MKV to focus on the more Kriss (I cant wait for that to be released so it can be forgotten about already.)

Has WE said anything recently about their plans for any new rifle models? I'm always excited to hear about new models from WE. Not that they make the best, but the variety is refreshing. I wish they'd make a maruzen P38 clone in metal.

Nope I didn't find the shooting experience good at all, that was in a warm day, average temp mag and good green gas. Still felt as lack luster as a basic plastic gun on 134a and it couldn't fling a shot near were the sights were, in fact using the standard irons it was hard to hit a man size target at 15m, something I can do with my 1911 easily, in fact even other WEs I have held could do that. Finally it was a striker fired gun, call me old fashioned but i like a hammer and that grip safety feels like an afterthought.

'FireKnife'

I know over a dozen people with them and they are all very accurate. And on .3's they easily reach out to 25m+. The kick and overall shooting experience has also been unanimously good so I'm surprised by your comment. Could it be slightly tainted by your dislike of WE pistols perhaps though ;) have a go with a few more and see if that can't change your mind :)

As to the grip safety, it's there in the real gun and has no feeling of being an after thought. In fact when I fired a real XDM last time I was in the states it was one of the nicest 9mm semi autos I've ever fired. Very easy to aim and a great firing experience, which I think has been replicated quite nicely in the WE version. So much so I have both the TM an WE XDM's and a compact en route. I, like you, have had numerous pistols from a multitude of manufacturers and had the same misgivings about WE after having a 1911 commander a while ago that would only manage 5 shot max! However, the latest WE offerings have been exceptional for the price point and far exceed more established brands.

I know over a dozen people with them and they are all very accurate. And on .3's they easily reach out to 25m+. The kick and overall shooting experience has also been unanimously good so I'm surprised by your comment. Could it be slightly tainted by your dislike of WE pistols perhaps though ;) have a go with a few more and see if that can't change your mind :)

As to the grip safety, it's there in the real gun and has no feeling of being an after thought. In fact when I fired a real XDM last time I was in the states it was one of the nicest 9mm semi autos I've ever fired. Very easy to aim and a great firing experience, which I think has been replicated quite nicely in the WE version. So much so I have both the TM an WE XDM's and a compact en route. I, like you, have had numerous pistols from a multitude of manufacturers and had the same misgivings about WE after having a 1911 commander a while ago that would only manage 5 shot max! However, the latest WE offerings have been exceptional for the price point and far exceed more established brands.

Well as for my dislike of WE, that only applies to the guns that have gone through my hands and have not shot well, the fact that over 75% of them are WEs justifies my dislike. But each new gun is judged impartially. I have shot two WE XDMs and one of the Samurai Edges, along with seeing a WE P226 fail in moderate temperature, even after a good lube. I can see why people like them, but they feel hampered by bad construction or parts mesh. Saying that I have seen other guns go wrong, like a KWA Glock (the better option for Glocks) deciding to jam open and spew gas on a mild day when it had been firing fine. :P

As for the XDM design, the grip safety just feels strange, it is too much of a protuding block unlike the ones used on 1911s that are smoother and match the gun. Then again a lot of older grip safetied models had this issue it seems, where it just felt like a block sticking out. As for WE, they have still to really show a gun that redeems themselves. Perhaps when a UK retailer that has a good warranty (so no, not getting it from Z1) gets these in stock I will look at the sub-compact XDM. Maybe that might even out the balance of bad WE guns I have seen (not to say other companies have bad guns, but WE do have a habit of more lemons than others).

'FireKnife'

It is absolutely impossible for you to be unbiased and hold impartial views about new pistols, as you have already formed strong opinions on manufacturer and those opinions will influence your view on that pistol, guaranteed. That is nothing bad against you as a person, as it is the same for everyone. Unfortunately you cannot escape your culture or life experiences, and since they shape how you look at an item it is an impossibility to look at a pistol without being affected by the previous experiences.

All you can hope to do is reduce it down to a formulaic comparison to restrict the amount of time personal conjecture comes into the equation.

Just to illustrate my point; you love 1911's, and you are thus far unimpressed with WE, however think the world of TM. Generally that means that when you pick up a TM you'll be looking for good points, as you will not be expecting faults or flaws. However with WE your expectations are much lower, and thus you will be looking for faults as that has become the standard. You'll be naturally more sceptical about the pistol as a whole, and that will very much influence your conclusions.

I find it critical to keep in mind that each company operates drastically different from one another. WE are not in direct competition with TM - they are two completely different business models. TM's focus is on excellence, because they actually care about the domestic market; they stand behind their product in terms of build quality, reliability and performance. WE focus on the tagline 'full metal' and they did used to pure ######...though now they have seriously upped their game. It looks to be since their partnership with HK3P (or whatever they're actually called). The fit of slide to frame on their 1911 series has improved to no end, with very little gaps and rattling when compared to their older models. Gas economy is still poor (being kind there :P) though. Accuracy has improved though. They focus on pistols for sidearms or for plinking, and they are perfectly suited for that. Are they as good as TM? No. Do they need to be? No.

As with all things airsoft it is swings and roundabouts!

It is absolutely impossible for you to be unbiased and hold impartial views about new pistols, as you have already formed strong opinions on manufacturer and those opinions will influence your view on that pistol, guaranteed. That is nothing bad against you as a person, as it is the same for everyone. Unfortunately you cannot escape your culture or life experiences, and since they shape how you look at an item it is an impossibility to look at a pistol without being affected by the previous experiences.

All you can hope to do is reduce it down to a formulaic comparison to restrict the amount of time personal conjecture comes into the equation.

Just to illustrate my point; you love 1911's, and you are thus far unimpressed with WE, however think the world of TM. Generally that means that when you pick up a TM you'll be looking for good points, as you will not be expecting faults or flaws. However with WE your expectations are much lower, and thus you will be looking for faults as that has become the standard. You'll be naturally more sceptical about the pistol as a whole, and that will very much influence your conclusions.

I find it critical to keep in mind that each company operates drastically different from one another. WE are not in direct competition with TM - they are two completely different business models. TM's focus is on excellence, because they actually care about the domestic market; they stand behind their product in terms of build quality, reliability and performance. WE focus on the tagline 'full metal' and they did used to pure ######...though now they have seriously upped their game. It looks to be since their partnership with HK3P (or whatever they're actually called). The fit of slide to frame on their 1911 series has improved to no end, with very little gaps and rattling when compared to their older models. Gas economy is still poor (being kind there :P) though. Accuracy has improved though. They focus on pistols for sidearms or for plinking, and they are perfectly suited for that. Are they as good as TM? No. Do they need to be? No.

As with all things airsoft it is swings and roundabouts!

As much as that would make sense for the average person it doesn't fo me, first thing I do is pick a gun that I know is from a reputable manufacturer and find its faults or pick a gun from a poor one and pick its best bits. I often expect to be disappointed by a good maker and enlightened by a bad one, just to prove the alternative is true to what I expect, then as always I will look at faults.

When it comes to giving an impartial review that is what I give, if you asked me about any of the pistols I have owned I would tell you at least one good and one bad thing about each. It is much better that way. Plus it would be the model I ownde or used, that is my philosophy, I should be able to pick up any gun out of the batch and have it fire as well as the next otherwise it is not going to be a good design.

But then that is me and I can see your point, many do decide on a gun based on company and experience of them. Take when I got my PX4, first thing I did is look for what didn't work, what didn't feel right, what didn't work with it being a real gun too, like the slide safety and the dead trigger when uncocked, before I even actually thought 'wait what do I like'.

But as many have said it is the guns owner that makes the decision as to if it fits or not. The WE XDM did shine in one or two respects, but as no-one ask for a truly impartial view, they get what I think of it in a general term. If anyone wants to know what I truly think as that ;)

Anyway back to the news, a TAN one of these 3.8's exists, too bad the pic on RSOV.com makes it look like it is made of skin, not tan plastic.

'FireKnife'

When they get to the UK I will pick one up. Have no issue with buying a new gun that I like the look of from a maker I am not sure about the lemon rate of, so long as I have a warranty to back me up.

But it won't be that tan one, that is one *fruitcage* ugly colour if it looks like the RSOV pic in real life.

'FireKnife'

Almost picked on of the full sized XDMs up from a shop here the other day, however the only one they had looked like it had been already used and was scratched up quite a bit. I woulda taken it if they gave me a few bucks off but wasnt going to pay full price for a beat up gun.

In my experience, whatever metal WE uses doesn't seem to react well with aluminum blackeners so I couldn't just touch it up.

Archived