Sportsmanship

Hardcore1-6

Now we've got threads for Epic hits, and non-hit takers but i've seen nothing to congratulate those who have played with excellent sportsmanship. So I've started this as a place for people to post about others they've seen take hits, given objectives or generally helped out - a shrine to the good bloke.

To start:

Few weeks back a kid (no more than 14) in adult sized plate carrier in full ACU walking past my position with a walk-on friend. I took hasty aim and on shooting his friend first and missing him, the friend takes cover and he instructed his friend to take the hit. A slight arguement took place, and he took the hit for his friend leaving just the one shooter. Here's to him.

To start:

Few weeks back a kid (no more than 14) in adult sized plate carrier in full ACU walking past my position with a walk-on friend. I took hasty aim and on shooting his friend first and missing him, the friend takes cover and he instructed his friend to take the hit. A slight arguement took place, and he took the hit for his friend leaving just the one shooter. Here's to him.

Must admit that is quite win.

Reminds me of what happened last year, was climbing up the steepest part of the hill at one of the sites down the road, was getting to the point where I was using branches to hold me up and slipped once or twice. About half way up I got a shout, looked up to see someone aiming at me about 15m away with me being in pretty much open ground. He gave me a chance to take my hit so I did and gingerly strolled back down the hill and off to my regen. Most idiots at said site would have just fired and hoped for the best.

'FireKnife'

The one good bit of gameplay I experienced at the mall a few weeks back:

Team at each end of a corridor shooting at each other. I had managed to get into a room a few doors up after using some bangs. I was turned around trying to communicate with guys behind me when someone dives in through the doorway chased by bbs. I turn back around we see each other and he asks "oh i thought I was the only one up this far." I say "thats because I am on the other team."

At this point we both realise what could happen next, but instead agree to both take a hit and go our separate ways. Best part of it was we both had headcams on so caught the whole exchange on film. ;p

Sportsmanship is a good thing but it does depend on a lot of times if the players have something to prove.

Sportsmanship about appreciating (and showing an appreciation of)

- a well planned game

- good strategy

- good tactics

- an exceptional player/show of character

- there are grey situations where fighting over hits wins nothing (personally, tactically, strategically)

- other players AND

- that this is a game, these are not live rounds.

Often the show of (bad) sportsmanship is arguing over hits. One time I was tail end charlie of a patrol and one lone ranger snuck up on our patrol and tried to open fire first as he shouldered the weapon. I spotted the guy, fired first from the hip and proceeded to lay rounds down at him and he was trying to shoot me, he hit the trees and bushes around me, and I didn't feel a hit, while eventually I hit him first, it took a few rounds to get him (we were both on semi-auto). He argued that he hit me and that I was cheating, by that time my squad had responded to the contact, and some guy just shot him in the chest. He still insisted he was still in the game.

I said: "look man, if this was real both of us are have shat our pants either one or both of us would've been shot since live rounds would've penetrated the foliage around you and me. Adrenaline is pumping and often we won't feel hits. However you are sneaking up on an 8 man patrol, contacted by me first and then stand here to complain you should still be in the game while there is 7 other people with guns trained on you. I will take the hit, you can decide what you want to do given your surprise is ruined."

He didn't take the hit, but I did. He was a 40 year old ex- infantryman, probably have something to prove...I wasn't vigilant enough in watching my squads back, so i was happy to walk back 15mins to respawn. It was totally futile argument, he was gonna get wasted in the contact but he didn't have the appreciation of the situation (which is odd, as I would've done a battlefield estimate and realised it was a pointless endeavor to attack an 8 man squad with one Peashooter).

So yeah, sportsmanship isn't a well defined quality, particularly when ego is involved. Given his ego driven narrow point of view, he would've said that I was a poor sportsman, but its him who didn't appreciate the wider gravity of the situation.

• 4 weeks later...

When I first started I played at KGBAirsoft where everyone takes their hits pretty much all of the time. It's a closeknit group so there's a pretty good honour system - I'll tip my hat to them. Otherwise, I still find it's only the occasional guy that won't take their hit. Most of the people I've encountered will take their hits, It's rare to see someone taking a hit for a friend though, so the kid mentioned in the OP deserves a pint [when he's old enough]

Most of the best sportsmanship i've seen has been at The Mall, they big up the importance of it so much in the briefing you really can't help being a good sport.

One time me and another player from the Armadilo's were running in parallel to each other shooting from our side arms (which happened to be identical stock TM1911s) we were both out of rounds at exactly the same time so we agreed to just both go back to the regen.

Second thing (same day) was when my gun wasn't actually firing but the action was cycling, the player from the Armadilos just said "I don't think your pistol's actually shooting mate but i'll take it anyway".

• 1 month later...

I had a situation in my first (and as yet only) skirmish where myself and a member of the opposing team rounded corners at the same time to end up facing each other at around 8 - 10 yards, couldn't tell which team either was on as our bands were on our right arms and obscured and had the following exchange "what team are you?" "Blue" "oh, i'm red" we then proceeded to hose each other. The good sportsmanship comes into it because we both aimed well away from each others faces and both took the hits without a row about who had the faster trigger finger (which is just as well because I'm pretty sure he got there first)

Same game I saw three grown men get 'banged' by a lad of around 14 in rapid succession with no gripes at all. Couldn't see that happening at a paintball sight.

Second thing (same day) was when my gun wasn't actually firing but the action was cycling, the player from the Armadilos just said "I don't think your pistol's actually shooting mate but i'll take it anyway".

I had one like this. Was trying to connect up with a forward scout group deep in the enemy territory. I think i see them in front of me, but it turns out to be two from the enemy side. I take them out and as i finish them off i hear this full auto sound opening up on me 7-8m away, there is no cover to jump behind, i'm in the open. So i call out hit and wait for the pain. Its then i realize he is firing dry, because of the cold his auto winder is failing. I say you got lucky i called that hit to early, your firing dry. Turn my head looking into four barrels pointing my direction, i realize its is good to be a sport sometimes. :D

Yesterday I twice had to be informed that I had taken a ricochet by a team mate then a marshal.

But as I had called it I just went out respawned as normal, got a funny look from one of the hypocrite geardos but a smile and chuckle from the others, had a good laugh about those ricochets I took later too.

'FireKnife'

Yesterday I twice had to be informed that I had taken a ricochet by a team mate then a marshal.

But as I had called it I just went out respawned as normal, got a funny look from one of the hypocrite geardos but a smile and chuckle from the others, had a good laugh about those ricochets I took later too.

'FireKnife'

Good lad, I'm also like this, I generally take hits even if they are ricochets just in case I actually did get hit. Don't like cheaters so I try everything I can to show them how it's done. ;

Good lad, I'm also like this, I generally take hits even if they are ricochets just in case I actually did get hit. Don't like cheaters so I try everything I can to show them how it's done. ;

Well in the case of one or two of the players and areas it becomes a case of firing shot after shot into a small building until people have had enough of the shots ricocheting around. I personally can see them coming and just ignore / avoid them if I can, if I can't I take a hit and wander over to another area that my team is one and respawn as the rules dictate (often just bleed out or if it is a defensive one inform the marshal why I am moving to the opposite side and the fall back).

But then what we have up here is very hit and miss, some that have no sportsmanship at all and others that are happy to acknowledge a good hit or two (I and a few others made sure to shout out a sorry when we may have used one too many shots to hit someone, not easy to judge when you have an 'out' player in front of an 'in' player etc).

'FireKnife'

Was in the middle of a game when we got a "Man Down!" call, I was in the middle of running from a storage area full of pallets and crates to a building and had to halt due to the call. I could see about five people pointing their rifles in my direction and I knew as soon as the game resumed I was going to be in a lot of trouble.

Marshall blew the whistle to recommence the game and I sprinted for the building and practically threw myself through the door, I didn't hear or see a single round near me, I reckon they let me have a little head start which was nice of them.

I really like the kind of guys that for instance in a break just helps others with whatever

At a time my plug for the battery had put itself all the way in the stocktube

and I couldn't get it out and had no tools.

The guy standing next to me, a total stranger, just handed me a multitool to fix the problem

I thanked him for his help and he just asked me if I would have done the same for him

I replied off course and he responded no need to say thanks then and gave me smile

A pretty small thing to do

but its the attitude thats counts

Unfortunately precious little since I came back to HK, but there was one incident in Edinburgh that was amazing:

I'm trying out my new hop-up and barrel combo in my G3a3 (Promy purple, SCS nub and a Promy 6.05x509mm barrel, firing 368fps with a 0.2g) and I'm very impressed by the range and accuracy.

So impressed, in fact, that when I spy one of the other team about 60m away facing the other direction, I decide to try my luck.

I watched the little 0.25g bb float off through my 4x scope and give him the very lightest of taps on the arm. By the time it had gotten to him it would have been deflected if he had exhaled at the right time.

He put his hand up, turned around and spotted me waving at him, laughed and walked back to respawn. Top bloke.

At one of the weekly games last summer, we had a group of three moving very close together in line towards the opposition's base.

One of the enemy scouts spotted some movement, and chanced a shot at the shape he saw through a break in the foliage. I am certain he just hit a tree limb myself (can't be totally sure), but what ensued was an intense debate as to who took the hit. What set it apart was that it was not the expected "No, you!" type, but more along the lines of "No, Me!" variety. In the end, they Rock-Paper-Scissored for the hit, with the winner walking back to the safe zone.

At one of the weekly games last summer, we had a group of three moving very close together in line towards the opposition's base.

One of the enemy scouts spotted some movement, and chanced a shot at the shape he saw through a break in the foliage. I am certain he just hit a tree limb myself (can't be totally sure), but what ensued was an intense debate as to who took the hit. What set it apart was that it was not the expected "No, you!" type, but more along the lines of "No, Me!" variety. In the end, they Rock-Paper-Scissored for the hit, with the winner walking back to the safe zone.

So wait you had two palyers agruing over who was hit first? Usually I just put my hand up at the same time as the other person, seems to happen to me about once every two or three games :P.

Always good when those moments happen, where you both look and think 'ah it is only a hit' and both take one.

'FireKnife'

I know alot of geardos get a bad press , but the one at my locals a true gent. He has so many aeg/gbb spares that if any one needs something , he just gives them the internals for free. In the middle of the skirmish he is more than happy to lend a gun , spare mags or a tactical boost bar , and he never seeks to gain anything back. Plus he takes all his hits. I would say he is a pretty good guy and sportsman.

Actually, I feel a regular customer of mine deserves some serious recognition in this thread. He would be a collector, and is a true gent. A lad's rental gun broke down, and this guy gives him a 10" King Arms free-float sniper rifle to use; the lad then uses it as a crutch i.e. barrel into the muck, using the stock as a rest, to climb up the hill. Obviously some worried looks from the collector, whom (for damn good reasons) takes it back off of him. Undeterred by the blatant misuse of his gear, he buys a brand new Cyma AK spetz just to have in case someones gun breaks down. Seriously. This guy bought a back-up AEG for other people...

I couldn't get over that. I usually have a spare gun, and have no problems lending it out to people...but I would never buy a gun just to have as a backup in case other people need it. That is a kind of generosity I do not possess.

I know alot of geardos get a bad press , but the one at my locals a true gent. He has so many aeg/gbb spares that if any one needs something , he just gives them the internals for free. In the middle of the skirmish he is more than happy to lend a gun , spare mags or a tactical boost bar , and he never seeks to gain anything back. Plus he takes all his hits. I would say he is a pretty good guy and sportsman.

Then he is not a Geardo.

Geardo: Plays only in the finest gear / period kit AND looks down his nose on those that don't. What you have their is just a nice player with a decent selection of good quality guns and kit by the sounds of it.

'FireKnife'

Then he is not a Geardo.

Geardo: Plays only in the finest gear / period kit AND looks down his nose on those that don't. What you have their is just a nice player with a decent selection of good quality guns and kit by the sounds of it.

'FireKnife'

Sounds like a gent with a lot of cash I'd say.

Then he is not a Geardo.

'FireKnife'

ok you got me :) i just assume that it meant a person with a lo of RS kit , i didnt know they had to be bit of a *&*^%$@#" to be a geardo.

Sounds like a gent with a lot of cash I'd say.

He can be a gent or a sportsman whether rich or poor , it nae matter really. The whole reason Geardos exist are because ( according to FireKnife ) they play in v expensive kit and they possess arrogance , so they have alot of cash but are still tools. They have the money to lend but dont , whereas the guy im talking about has the ability to lend and does , but this is not because of wealth , but kindness.

ok you got me :) i just assume that it meant a person with a lo of RS kit , i didnt know they had to be bit of a *&*^%$@#" to be a geardo.

He can be a gent or a sportsman whether rich or poor , it nae matter really. The whole reason Geardos exist are because ( according to FireKnife ) they play in v expensive kit and they possess arrogance , so they have alot of cash but are still tools. They have the money to lend but dont , whereas the guy im talking about has the ability to lend and does , but this is not because of wealth , but kindness.

Best way to think of it. A person can wear Adidas clothes but not be a chav, only when they act like a *rickroll* are they really a chav. Same as someone can own an Audi, but only when they drive like a *fruitcage*-wit should they get abuse for it.

You will always get the nice people with the spare kit that help out, but they are often unsung heroes and are overshadowed by the arrogant players that have all the kit and no brains.

'FireKnife'

In my first CQB game i chased the same guy around the main building, hitting him in all the rooms he managed to get to escape me! I was using an pistol he was using a AEG in full auto, something that we do not permit ( only single shot inside buildings ) so the guy took the first hit, ran from me to another bedroom, chased him, he took two more hits... ran AGAIN FROM ME taking several hits in the back... it only ended with him trapped in a room with me pumping a entire mag in his chest AND STILL he managed to get up, shot me in full auto and at the same time he looked at me and said: " i wasnt hit! "... i call my hit... went to the parking lot and took off!

Archived