Why such a lack of CQB/FIBUA/Urban in the South?

bankz5152

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you think it's worth us creating either a Wikipage or some sort of Google document where everyone can update, with all site information regarding max capacity, status, location, facilities, fps rules, average game frequency etc, all just under similar format etc. I find that navigating all the different sites kinda confusing sometimes, especially now that some of them have moved onto facebook mainly. 

That would be an excellent idea imo.  Could cover all the random little bits and pieces like whether radios are frequently used and useful to have, good attire setups to help making up teams easy unless they just go for coloured arm bands e.t.c.

That's not the south... I'm not sure what it is - east?

Dunstable is immediately adjacent to Luton. Luton is in Bedfordshire. Bedfordshire is definitely in what most consider "The S

outh". Possibly South East in general. South Midlands is a long way off the mark ;)

Do you think it's worth us creating either a Wikipage or some sort of Google document where everyone can update, with all site information regarding max capacity, status, location, facilities, fps rules, average game frequency etc, all just under similar format etc. I find that navigating all the different sites kinda confusing sometimes, especially now that some of them have moved onto facebook mainly.

How about the Airbana map http://www.airsoftmap.net/ isnt that kind of what it is there for?

That's cool and all but it seems kinda tumble weed, and also looks to be world wide. Bar having a website up, what's the best platform to have a database of this sort that is super easy for everyone to update? Google Spreadsheet? (not the easiest to navigate though especially when the list gets longer, but super easy to access / edit) 

Google maps. On my land rover forum we have an international rescue map which can only be updated by 1 person but all it takes is a PM. Got points all over the world with discriptions of whos there etc..

Could work for this, few people take responsibility for updating the map. Works well as you can see the location on a real map

on my phone, my spelling will suck

• 4 weeks later...

On the discussion above about a database of sites:

I actually started working on something kind of similar, but not to the same level of detail.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=z2GXXsfQNs9k.kSKs1lEn_I3o&usp=sharing

At the moment it's just a map of active sites with their web address, but it wouldn't be too difficult to add other info to it. 

In addition, I can set it up so that other people can edit it as well as myself (already have one of the members who suggested it on Zero In adding and updating info).

I'm from what I'd call the South East (London) and based in East Anglia, I'd not say they're the same sort of area, especially given the utterly shocking the travel links which make the effective distance/time even further.  I'd certainly not drive from home to skirmish near my base.

YMMV.

R.e. The OP; I went to Red1 quite a few times as it's only a 20 minute drive from home.  However their numbers kept increasing with seemingly no cap leading to the most horrendously over crowded airsoft I've ever played.  Then they lost about 40% of their space through a very large building being condemned and shut for play.  At £35 green fee with no lunch with the massive cramping issue... one of the few sites I'd personally give a negative review to.

Red1 got worse over the year, but come the late summer suddenly the numbers dropped and it's much improved - they've also got some woodland by there (same parking) and now also have a woodlands site over in Chistlehurst.

There's Bluetac (? - Badger Airsoft I think) near Aylesbury, and xSite not only have Outpost near Dunstable/Tring/Hemel/Leighton (well worth it), but also a woodlands near High Wycombe (not tried).  There's then an indoor site recently opened up in one of the abandoned areas of the Royal Free Hospital in Shoreditch/Whitechapel/Aldgate.

BTW heard a rumour that Epsom Bunker is going to close as it's been bought by developers.  Personally was not a fan of there, but others love it.

There's Bluetac (? - Badger Airsoft I think) near Aylesbury, and xSite not only have Outpost near Dunstable/Tring/Hemel/Leighton (well worth it), but also a woodlands near High Wycombe (not tried).  There's then an indoor site recently opened up in one of the abandoned areas of the Royal Free Hospital in Shoreditch/Whitechapel/Aldgate.

BTW heard a rumour that Epsom Bunker is going to close as it's been bought by developers.  Personally was not a fan of there, but others love it.

You played Blue Streak at all?  From the pictures on their facebook page, it looks like it's just a big slinging match across an open area with buildings around the outside that don't seem largely accessible/open.  Could just be the pictures, but that's the impression.

Any info on this hosptial site?  I'm sure my google-fu is just failing but I'm bringing up blank searching for any out-of-use hospital buildings in that part of town.

ETA - The bunker's done now I believe.  Went once, probably the darkest and 'closest' site there's ever been just about anywhere I'd wager, can't say it really worked though overall, wouldn't have been in any rush to go again.

Why not, may I ask? I've only gone to maybe 3 games at their sites and generally enjoyed them, although I'd be interested to hear the other side of the coin!

Mainly the quality of players there. Generally all regulars/try hards who seem to think they are above the rules. Along with boring and unimaginative games, especially for the price.

3 games you probably wouldnt notice too much but after a few more its pretty obvious.

on my phone, my spelling will suck

I won't play with Airbone either, for very similar reasons to UCAP. Last game I played with them was an absolute joke and clearly biased toward one side, so much so that there where around 30 people who will never play with them again. 

You played Blue Streak at all? From the pictures on their facebook page, it looks like it's just a big slinging match across an open area with buildings around the outside that don't seem largely accessible/open. Could just be the pictures, but that's the impression.

Game day was enjoyable. Decent play, though what lets it down is one of the head marshals is ex-forces and doesn't let you forget it. As a paying customer, I don't expect to be screamed at with threats of an *albartroth* kicking just because a few of the home team took some face shots. Particularly as the grass was about 4 foot tall at the time so heads bobbing around in the field was about all there was to shoot at.

My No.1 pet peeve of airsoft, worse than non-hit taking, and that is moaning about being hit... don't like being shot in a the face? Cover up, hurts if shot many times? Wear more layers. If you choose to look operator with short sleeves and shooting glasses only and can't wear face pro cause it ruins the beard look, don't then moan about it if you get shot there. 

Somewhat related I suppose but my pet peeve are ambigious site rules.

I recently played at F&O's The Base. Its a great site and well run (and overgrown buildings are so cool aesthetically) - but they have a rule which is no full auto within 15ft of a building.

Ambush have a far more sensible rule which is no full auto shooting inside a building, with the exception of in and out of windows. Don't get me wrong there were no issues in the day (at all!) but I can see people acting up because of it.  I think it was Fireknife who said one his local sites had a semi auto within 15 meters rule, blanket (I may be wrong). That seems madness.

On a practical note whilst I think the 30m MED for sniper rifles is too high the situation is less intense then storming a building so distances can be estimated (lets face it) more accurately then rushing a building.

Archived