TAG Innovation GP30 shellless grenade launcher

Lancaster

The issue is not about site insurance but it seems heavily convincing that TAG shells are illegal in the UK under sec 5 of the Firearms Act.

This is like the 11th time we've reached back to this point of the circle... it's pretty extensively discussed back in the original TAG round thread as far as UK legal issue, especially before they were sold here in the UK... pretty sure the conclusion was that there is no conclusion, nobody knows if it's legal or not legal, and since nobody has been arrested or charged for these exact items, there's no examples neither, the same way moscarts (same applies to Tanaka rounds, APS sniper and shotgun rounds, and the Madbulll 50 cal rounds these days) raised some eyebrows years back, as it would also be illegal under sec 5 firearm act for being interrupted as "any air rifle, air gun or air pistol which uses, or is designed or adapted for use with, a self-contained gas cartridge system." Since it's also illegal to throw pyrotechnics / fireworks at people already, we seem to get away with it in an airsoft event, so this again falls into the grey area category, so the facts are, we can buy them, we can sometimes use them, they aren't dangerous if you're sensible, and nobody has yet been arrested, but if someone wants to, they could probably charge you base on what you've stated above.  

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://airsoftpyrotechnics.com/component/virtuemart/tag-015-grenade-launcher-detail#.Vle9c8rzNUV

TAG-15 launcher is finally ready for international sales! It may seem pricey, but when Polarstar first launched their Polarstar engines, it was about US$700. And If you watch the video in the link, you'll see TAGinn put a lot of efforts in R&D and came up with lots of innovations. I'm sure the following generations will be cheaper, but if you want a cheaper solution NOW, you could also try moding your TAGinn shell to make it work somewhat similar to TAG-15: http://www.instructables.com/id/Airsoft-Rapid-Fire-Grenade-Launcher-Mod/

c3b0c264deefc87abd0305c9eef70d812cd591f5

You're not joking about the price. $650 for something that sort of looks like a GP-25/GP-30 is steep, considering I can get a D-Boys GP-25 for $65, or King Arms GP-30 for $130, and have $500 left over to buy regular TAG shells.

Comparing it to the Polar* doesn't do it any favours, either - the Polar* was intended to replace your primary weapon's gearbox, so it was something you'd use with literally every shot you took. This thing, not so much...

It is every shot you take if you're Lancaster :P 

Comparing the price to a ACM GP-25 is probably a little unfair considering those are essentially a lump of cast metal with a spring and a lever, this is more like a GBB in its own right, but it's certainly still steep, I'd consider it for half the price, but $650 for something that launches £5 into the sea per trigger pull is too much for me... That said, I do appreciate this unit for replicating the function of Russian launchers more, in that there's no empty shells to deal with unlike the NATO nades. 

You're not joking about the price. $650 for something that sort of looks like a GP-25/GP-30 is steep, considering I can get a D-Boys GP-25 for $65, or King Arms GP-30 for $130, and have $500 left over to buy regular TAG shells.

Comparing it to the Polar* doesn't do it any favours, either - the Polar* was intended to replace your primary weapon's gearbox, so it was something you'd use with literally every shot you took. This thing, not so much...

If the gas output is as consistent as my Built-in TAGinn Shell Grenade Launcher (B.T.S.G.L.) mod or better (which I believe it's the latter based on their promo video), I'd say its performance justify its cost. Below is a video showing the zeroing procedures of the B.T.S.G.L., which showed its potential to hit a bunker window on first strike at 100 feet and perhaps beyond. I'm planning to do the same test once I get my hand on a TAG-15. Using a charger to fill shells just doesn't produce the same level of consistency, even if you are using a CO2 charger with pressure gauge. I've come across many instances when I thought I put gas in my shell, but later found out they all leaked out because I didn't seal the charger needle with the fill valve properly. In addition, multiple shells mean more weight and maintenance, which I discussed in my B.T.S.G.L. promo video.

If TAG-15's performance is as good as I imagine, I think it can become a primary weapon. In addition to shooting TAGinn projectiles, it can also shoot BBs using the Shotgun Clips method I described in the B.T.S.G.L. thread. You may also be concerned with the cost and scarcity of TAGinn projectiles, but I'm developing 3D-printed TAGinn-compatible projectile molds that will allow players to make their own non-pyro TAGinn-compatible projectiles. I'm planning to make the 3D file open-source, so that more players can share the joy of shooting Airsoft grenades.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

TAG015 is an Airsoft grenade launcher that utilizes built-in CO2 gas chamber to propel Tactical Game Innovation (TAGinn)’s 37mm grenade projectiles. At first glance, it seems like a well-built GP-30 replica, but it actually has many innovations that make it worthy of many awards. To begin with, the CO2 cartridge Quick Reload Chamber (QRC) is the most efficient system I’ve ever seen. In stead of using a tool to twist the end cap until the CO2 cartridge gets punctured by the needle on the other end, the operator punctures the CO2 cartridge by turning QRC 90 degrees. Compared to the gas grenade shell system, the QRC system is also more consistent. With TAG015’s QRC, players no longer need to attempt to find the tiny fill holes, hold the charger steady, and put in consistent amount of gas in each shell. The complete CO2 cartridge reloading process starts with rotating the QRC up 90 degrees and opening the end cap. The operator then inserts a CO2 cartridge, closes the end cap, and rotates the QRC back down to the horizontal position. The end cap can be opened and closed with a quarter of turn without the need of a tool. In some cases when the CO2 cartridge is shorter due to a different make, the operator can use an Allen key to adjust the screw in the middle of the end cap so that the needle can puncture it. But I have no problems with the most common brand – Crosman. TAGinn also cleverly places a foldable leaf sight on top of the QRC. Next, the degassing valve next to the safety lever makes it fast and easy to remove residual air in the gas chamber, so that the used CO2 cartridge can be easily and safely removed. Furthermore, reloading projectiles is very straightforward – simply align the grooves on the projectiles with the rifling in the barrel and push it down. With practice, the operator can feel whether or not the grooves on the projectiles are aligned with the rifling without the need to visually confirm it. Last but not least, the gas output is very consistent. As shown in the video, the first 6 shots vary only as much as 10 fps, which suggests that one can easily hit a window-size target at 100 feet repetitively. The projectile velocities start to drop significantly after the 6th shot, but one can still launch projectiles for more than 200 feet from 7th to 12th shot. The operator should drain the CO2 cartridge and replace it with a new one after the 12th shot as the residual gas pressure would not be sufficient to propel projectiles for good distances. Also, I’d recommend using the 7th to 12th shots only for targets less than 100 feet as they are not as consistent as the first 6 shots.

There are some minor issues with TAG015. First, there doesn’t seem to be an easy way to remove the projectiles once they are loaded. TAGinn suggests that the operator could shoot the loaded projectiles out if he wishes to unload and clear the weapon, or swap projectiles. But this method may not be desirable, especially with pyro projectiles. Pyro projectiles are expensive, and cannot be shot out near staging area when the operator is in a hurry. In the video, I showed a possible mechanism for unloading projectiles for the next version of TAG015. Next, the QRC cap can be lost during the heat of the battle, which can be prevented with a lanyard and mounts. These should be easily added to the next version of TAG015. In the mean time, the operator can fabricate a homemade retention system as shown in the video. TAG015 can also use a windage adjustment mechanism as it currently only allows elevation adjustment. In addition, I’d like to see an adjustable pressure regulator for fine-tuning although TAGinn claimed the current fixed pressure regulator provides the best performance. Lastly, there is a bit wobbling between the trigger unit and the launcher body, but TAGinn stated that it is designed this way so that it can accommodate different makes of Airsoft AKs.

All in all, my first impression of TAG015 is very good. Although there are some minor issues, I believe TAGinn has made another masterpiece after launching their 40mm shell and projectile system. The price tag – US$650 – may turn a lot of players off, but its performance and innovations justify it. I believe the best way to demonstrate this is to hold a dynamic shooting competition comparing TAG015 with TAGinn 40mm shells side by side. I am planning to incorporate this in my next in-depth review of TAG015.

• 2 months later...

Many people questioned whether or not the TAGinn's TAG015 launcher is worth the US$ 650 price tag. I believe the best way to determine this is to do a head-to-head comparison test between a TAG015 launcher and a TAGinn Shell setup. 

The test I proposed simulates potential Airsoft gameplay encounters for grenadiers, including engaging a group of enemy and a bunker with grenade launchers, as well as individuals with rifles. Although both speed and accuracy will be taken into account, accuracy will be emphasized more as grenades are scarce compared to BBs. The number of hits with grenades will be the winning factor, and the finish time will be the tie-breaker. One shooter who are familiar with both TAG015 and TAGinn Shell systems will perform three trials each with both systems at a randomized order. In order to make it a fair comparison, the TAGinn Shell setup will consist of one King Arms GP-30 launcher (US$ 170), six TAGinn's Shells (US$ 68 x 6 = $ 408), and one Madbull XC-03 charger (US$ 75). They cost a total of US$ 653, which is similar to TAG015's cost of US$650. A single AK-74 platform will be used for both setups.

The course of fire consists of 5 stations as shown below:
1) Zero: a target will be set at 100 feet. The shooter will be allowed to zero the rifle and grenade launchers with three rounds each.

2) Station #1: The shooter will move to a 3-feet tall cover and take the kneeling shooting position. A 6-feet tall flag pole with a 4-feet wide flag will be set at a distance between 150-250 feet. A circle of radius 10 feet will be drawn around the flag pole. The shooter will fire 6 grenade projectiles at the flag. A hit is defined as landing a projectile within the circle around the flag upon impact to the ground. A range officer will use a flag to signal hit or miss to the shooter and the scorer. A mandatory reload for the gas power sources and projectiles will be required at the end of the station. For TAG015, since it has only one launcher barrel, the shooter will only reload one projectile. 

3) Station #2: The shooter will move to a 3-feet tall cover and take the kneeling shooting position. Six 6-inch tall knockdown targets will be set at a distance around 30 feet. The shooter will engage 3 targets from the right side of the cover with the rifle with semi-auto fire, transfer the rifle to the left shoulder, and engage the other 3 targets from the left side of the cover with semi-auto fire. The shooter will be permitted to fire as many rounds or reload as needed until the targets are all down. A mandatory magazine reload will be required at the end of the station.

4) Station #3: The shooter will move to a 6-feet tall cover and take the standing shooting position. A 3 feet by 3 feet window size target will be set at a distance between 50-150 feet. The shooter will fire 6 grenade projectiles at the target. A hit is defined as striking within the boundaries of the target. A range officer will use a flag to signal hit or miss to the shooter and the scorer.

5) Station #4: The shooter will move to a 6-feet tall cover and take the standing shooting position. Six 6-inch tall knockdown targets will be set at a distance around 15 feet. The shooter will engage 3 targets from the right side of the cover with the rifle with semi-auto fire, transfer the rifle to the left shoulder, and engage the other 3 targets from the left side of the cover with semi-auto fire. The shooter will be permitted to fire as many rounds or reload as needed until the targets are all down.

For the results, I expect to see little differences between number of hits between TAG015 and TAGinn Shell systems. But TAGinn Shell system will likely take 600% more in gas power source reload time (not the finish time as shown in the video - it's a typo), which may add more than a minute to the finish time. This may not seem much, but it may cost even more time during chaotic Airsoft gameplay, as players might make more mistakes, such as dropping or misaligning the charger. Also, since most TAGinn Shell owners only have one or two shells, I'd imagine the time differences would be even greater.

Background music: XCOM - Enemy Unknown (video game)

When are you conducting these tests and when will we see the results?

I, for one, am thankful that you're willing to shell out $650 for the benefit of the rest of us.

It will depend on whether or not I can get sponsorship and support. I will need about 80 Pecker rounds, 5 TAGinn shells, a KA GP-30, and use of my local field. I could probably borrow TAGinn shells and a GP-30 from local players, but I don't have the budget for the Pecker rounds. 

If I can't get sponsorship for the Pecker rounds, I'll have to wait till I finish the development of P.M.O.G. 3.0 - a TAGinn compatible projectile. One of the reasons I bought TAG015 is for the development of P.M.O.G. 3.0 anyway.

Archived