TAG Innovation GP30 shellless grenade launcher

Lancaster

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Even cold-burning smoke is not perfectly safe to use in extreme dry weather. The MilsimWest's "Battle for the Caucasus" held at Guernsey, WY this past weekend had a fire accident caused by a cold-burning smoke.  A 10 KM^2 area was scorched. The weather report showed it was 100+ deg F and 10% humidity then.

The USFS Wildland Fire Assessment System showed fire danger was high in WY during that weekend (see picture below). With hindsight, I guess the event organizer should have checked the website beforehand.

From actually being at that event and a couple hundred yards from where the fire originated, there's a bunch of hearsay over what actually started it with no official cause yet.  Could've been an EG smoke, pea grenade, or TAG round.  In fact, the Fire Dept on scene stated it was due to cigarettes.  MSW actually ceased their normal mortar strikes due to the weather and terrain, while asking people to limit their pyro uses at NATO's OPORD.

Technically already possible with the normal TAG 40mm shells and something like an RMW RPG-7 but I take it you mean a larger round and a specific launcher for it?

I meant a specific launcher. It'd be cheaper than having to acquire shells separately. Along with that, large rounds, with more rifling, and a larger gas storage would be a nice touch wouldn't it?

there are plenty of deact RPG-26 tubes used with TAGs and there are so called "Strela" (arrow) wich are quite popular nowadays as they have dispensable rocket housing

Yes, well I'm not sure that they're readily available to be shipped across the globe as far as I know. Dedicated launchers would hopefully bring down the price of rounds as well as allowing room for new innovations.

Assuming that Airsoft Pyrotechnics aren't Ares, I'd love to see Renegade Cow's China Lake come to fruition.

Technically already possible with the normal TAG 40mm shells and something like an RMW RPG-7

Like this?

We found when the round was fired it would often catch the edge of the dummy warhead so something shorter barrelled like a GP30 would be better.

Like this?

We found when the round was fired it would often catch the edge of the dummy warhead so something shorter barrelled like a GP30 would be better.

The TAGinn projectiles do tend to have some yaw angles when coming out of the shells. That's why TAGinn highly recommends using short barrel launchers. Short barrel launchers such as RPG-7 and M9A1, which usually deemed worthless for launching Nerf rockets, are actually suitable for launching TAGinn projectiles.

https://youtu.be/jDOUCjN2Xlo

Here's a follow-up video of Lancaster giving in-depth review of the TAG 15 launcher. Unfortunately, I can't understand a word of Russian. However, I can see some interesting features from watching:

1. The CO2 cartridge installation: First, rotate the CO2 cartridge holder up 90 degrees and open the end cap. Insert a CO2 cartridge and close the end cap. Next, rotate the CO2 cartridge holder back down to horizontal position. If the CO2 cartridge is not punctured, use an allen key to adjust the screw at the bottom of the end cap until it is. There will be no need to turn the screw anymore for future CO2 cartridge installation once its position is set, unless a different make of CO2 cartridge is used (this part is my speculation).

2. Gas release button: In order to release any residue gas in the CO2 cartridge for safety or maintenance, simply press down on the gas release button on the left side of the TAG 15.

3. Unload and clear the weapon: There doesn’t seem to be an easy way to remove the projectiles once they are loaded. This may be a cause for concern. The only way to unload and clear may be firing the projectiles, which may not be desirable, especially with pyro projectiles. I think some kind of lever should be installed in the back of the breech to allow pushing the projectiles forward until they are easy to grab and remove.

If you think it'll be usefull I can add English captions or take a shot 5-7 mins video explaining main features of the launcher in English if I still remember how to speak it :)

That would be great! I'm interested in learning everything you said in your 45-min review. It's going to be a lot of typing for you, though.

• 3 weeks later...

I really wish the tag grenades were easier/cheaper to get in the US. Cause that is really friggin cool.

Kinda makes me wonder if that opens up the possibility of having an m203 with a co2 capsule in its frame. But there probably isn't enough room.

Briggs, here you go - a VFC EGLM with side mounted CO2 air rig (I have opened a new thread on this: http://arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/215443-the-built-in-taginn-shell-grenade-launcher-btsgl-project/):

Doing the same mod on M203 should not be too hard. You probably need to mount the air rig on a side rail with a flashlight holder, though.

These are awesome... it looks like now it's more established that generally they aren't allowed in the UK by site insurance :( except for the occasional "objective item" like using it exclusively to shoot at a vehicle or building. 

Maddog in Cambridgeshire don't have a problem with them so long as you're not a *rickroll*.

Tag rounds are no more or less dangerous than any other pyro when used in an appropriate fashion.

Blank firing grenades are incredibly commonplace here, and they range from extremely lightweight models, to practically chucking a brick about. Some of which use 12 gauge blanks, and yet, fires and injuries aren't that common because we have rules in place to govern their use.

The issue is not about site insurance but it seems heavily convincing that TAG shells are illegal in the UK under sec 5 of the Firearms Act.

"any rocket launcher, or any mortar, for projecting a stabilised missile, other than a launcher or mortar designed for line-throwing or pyrotechnic purposes or as signalling apparatus;"

(not 100% sure what counts as "pyrotechnic purposes" but regardless...)

"any cartridge with a bullet designed to explode on or immediately before impact, any ammunition containing or designed or adapted to contain any such noxious thing as is mentioned in paragraph ( B) above and, if capable of being used with a firearm of any description, any grenade, bomb (or other like missile), or rocket or shell designed to explode as aforesaid."

Everybody I've asked about this has gone "well health and safety executive/insurance" bla bla bla. Which is fair enough, but not something I'd risk, personally. 

edit:

I rang Airsoft World to enquire about this and they fobbed me off with the above "explanation". Bit irresponsible tbh.

Is it not a grey area as technically although I suppose cartridge is relevant as I guess it's a gas cartridge, but bullet is not? I do know they like to play with the meanings of words and don't abide by the dictionary definition. 

A bullet is a bullet. To me, they are talking about HEIAP rounds.

Is it not a grey area as technically although I suppose cartridge is relevant as I guess it's a gas cartridge, but bullet is not? I do know they like to play with the meanings of words and don't abide by the dictionary definition. 

A bullet is a bullet. To me, they are talking about HEIAP rounds.

"and, if capable of being used with a firearm of any description, any grenade, bomb (or other like missile), or rocket or shell designed to explode as aforesaid." - I'm sure this in "RL" would cover TAG shells. 

For 100% certainty we'd need a test case to set the precedent I suppose? Any volunteers?  :D

So someone is letting them into the country, someone has consulted a bunch of people for insurance purposes.  It seems like a lot of people are involved in approving them without involving the people that matter if their legal standing is in question.

There's no other way to determine how legal they are until someone gets prosecuted? 

The legality of TAGinn pyro projectiles - Reaper and Archangel - were also called into question in US. Under US laws, they should be under Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives' control because their flash powder content exceed 50 mg limit as specified in CPSC 27 CFR 555.11, meaning only certified pyro technicians can operate them and lots of restrictions in storing and selling them. But many US Airsoft stores are selling them to general public, and many large event producers are allowing their use. However, I haven't heard stories of people being raided by federal agents. I think it is like motor vehicle speeding - everybody does it - but if you don't go overboard like driving 10 mi/hr above speed limit, police usually don't care. But if you catch CPSC or BATF's attention, it's gonna be hell to pay. Here are some horror stories of businesses in amateur rocketry being prosecuted by CPSC: http://www.space-rockets.com/arsanews.html#pyrotek CPSC or BATF are not guys to mess with when you catch their attention.

Archived