How does dental care work in the UK?

aznriptide859

A good idea on prices and who has to pay, from one of my local practices

http://www.jddentalcare.co.uk/price-list-dentist-in-high-wycombe/nhs-costs-dentist-buckinghamshire.html

And yeah, it will be fairly obvious if they are NHS.  They generally have it on the sign outside and on their website plus in the NHS directory.

A good idea on prices and who has to pay, from one of my local practices

http://www.jddentalcare.co.uk/price-list-dentist-in-high-wycombe/nhs-costs-dentist-buckinghamshire.html

And yeah, it will be fairly obvious if they are NHS.  They generally have it on the sign outside and on their website plus in the NHS directory.

Damn, it's nice that you guys have pricing just so blatantly listed out; fee charging is a nightmare over here and it heavily varies from office to office.

Is it generally a positive experience though? Like you don't have to ever really worry about costs when going to get treatment?

You pay for treatment before receiving treatment. If it's an emergency and you go to a NHS dentist, the maximum payment is £18.30 (or there about). That price is the standard price for a check up if you pay for dental treatment. But if it's deemed an emergency (you're in a lot of pain etc) the £18.30 covers everything (tooth being pulled or temp filling). Private is much more expensive.

I'm getting a tooth pulled and a filling (repairing an old filling) for £51.30

But if I wanted a root canal, that would have been roughly £700/£800.

How I've found it is that you have a pain in your tooth, you go in and they get you to register, tell you to take painkillers and wait for a few days. Then you go back and they haven't filed the paperwork properly so you have to wait a few more days. When you finally get past that you ask for an appointment, and heh, that totally happens before the infection spreads to your jawbone and you have to get your face amputated.

*suitcase*.. we have to pay for that stuff?  Not gonna lie, I don't think I had a dental check between my 18th birthday and joining up (think I was about 18 and 11 months) so I did not even realise.

I knew crowns and caps etc cost purely through airsofting and that topic coming up, but you'd think the more basic and essential treatments would be covered for your teeth the way they are for the rest of your body.  Learnt something new today.

I was private for a while.  Prices were extortionate.  Standard visit.  Right, you need £60 X-rays.  Umm.  Are you sure?

I need to find something in the middle ground.

That's how it is in the states lol - every single procedure is charged. The costs though are higher for a practice going only with PPO's versus HMO's or Medicaid, sometimes by a factor of 2-3.

Do dentists over there ever try pushing more severe procedures, e.g. implants or invisible braces?

I don't think prices are extortionate for Private work. Having said that. It does pay to shop around. I pay £20 a month (Into an effective kitty). The only other money I've ever had to pay were to get crowns and gold teeth made. The rest was paid by the money I had paid monthly.

The Dentist I see has never 'pushed' anything onto me. I've always had to ask for it. OK, he has asked when I'm going to get another crown as one tooth was falling apart, but that about it. Oh. I got that crown two years later. As for implants. That a new one on me.

Braces? Are you mad. We're British, We don't do Braces. We're supposed to have crooked teeth!

Research has shown that averaged out over the whole population, British people have straighter teeth that the Americans.

The availability of free dental care for children has meant that the only reason not to have corrective dental work as a child is bad (lazy or don't care) parenting.

In America the affluent have good teeth but the poor have rank teeth.

We are all average, works out better.

Yeah, not bad parenting as my wisdom teeth kicked in after 16. I know people who had their wisdom teeth kick in at the age of 12. So my comment was for narrative clarity.

I do think it's mad that a person can be in a situation, were they can't afford to go the dentist, and as such, leads to being ill. Good old kidney failure due to an aggressive abscess. Not nice.

Would be nice if the NHS covered all aspects of a dental practice (you pay nothing).

My doctor is very attractive, well, I say my doctor. It's my children's doctor, and it's a very funny story why, as I'm not registered their yet. I have to provide a utility bill to prove who I am. *fruitcage* you, doctors.

Me; Hello, I'm Mr Byrne.

Dentist Receptionist; Hello, Mr Byrne. Sign here, fill in your details and we'll see you shortly.

Me; *a look of pure respect and clarity fills my face*. Cool.

Archived