Impact Training Grenade

renegadecow

About a year ago I was messing around with a pneumatically timed training grenade I developed but couldn't find that old thread for the life of me. Anyhow, I ran into some consistency (timing) problems due to DIY tools and basically needed a machine shop to make the pistons for me which I wasn't all interested in investing in. Fast forward to today, I've instead changed my old design to a drop or impact activated system and I'm a lot happier with the results. Function wise, it's dead simple. There's no more need for an air seal so the piston is made into a straight up striker by omitting the o-ring. It's pre-cocked and held back when the two halves of the handle are closed around the main body. When dropped the handle separates, freeing the striker and hits the primer on the screw-on cap. It's still bare bones right now and am still fiddling with some things like spring tension and a better way to secure the pin.IMG_20151118_211743.jpg

IMG_20151118_211854.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks! Yeah, the Bamse is something else. I just gave up trying to make a catchy name for this one because I suck at acronyms. I've just made one small change so far, added an o-ring as a buffer so the locking lugs don't get mangled (they're very soft aluminum) when the nade is dropped head first. Otherwise it's just about final and already started painting it. Instead of devising a fancy 2nd safety pin I'll just be rolling the handle with newspaper and some tape which is slipped off to arm.

You can make one with a drill and a hacksaw really. With a machine shop you could make one in metal.

Now, off topic in my own topic, what's the most powerful speaker that can be crammed into something this size? And just how loud can it be when set on an impact relay switch to play the John Cena theme?

Looks great! Are you going to post up a "How to" guide?

I think anchoring the covers is a good idea - it's going to be chucked into a room and then potentially knocked around by the occupants/assaulters. I'd probably add some luminous or bright colouring to the main body to make it easier to find as well.

I've already started taking pics while making a large batch but it will be a little while before I get to compile everything into a step by step process. Just to add, a few people at a local FB group expressed their concerns about using primers. While having them on you isn't violating any law, most gun shops will ask for a license when you go and buy them making them largely inaccessible to non license holders plus reselling primers requires a special business license equal to having an actual gun shop. So I've thought to develop a version that uses red caps for cap guns. A single cap isn't much but using three at a time is about equal to a small handgun primer and I'm guessing 5-6 will be on shotgun primer levels. The problem is making all of them fire at the same time if at all so the best solution I could think of is to manually cram the contents of multiple caps into one single loaded cap.

I've already started taking pics while making a large batch but it will be a little while before I get to compile everything into a step by step process. Just to add, a few people at a local FB group expressed their concerns about using primers. While having them on you isn't violating any law, most gun shops will ask for a license when you go and buy them making them largely inaccessible to non license holders plus reselling primers requires a special business license equal to having an actual gun shop. So I've thought to develop a version that uses red caps for cap guns. A single cap isn't much but using three at a time is about equal to a small handgun primer and I'm guessing 5-6 will be on shotgun primer levels. The problem is making all of them fire at the same time if at all so the best solution I could think of is to manually cram the contents of multiple caps into one single loaded cap.

May I suggest trying the "adult snappers" instead of cap gun caps? They are the souped-up version of party snappers. They produce noises about 4-5 times of caps, but are still safe - watch the video below. They are categorized as novelties at some US states, and ground fireworks at others. The differences are accessibility and use requirement. Here is a place I bought them from several times: http://www.pyrocreations.com/inc/sdetail/567/81003

Archived