Help Us, Help You!

TheQuietWarlock

I know there are people out there that think this game wont suceed, etc.

Personnaly, I dont give a ######, but keep it off of this thread.

How about this, you spend years learning a programming language, devote your life to it, and you have a great passion for that and airsoft. So you decide to create an airsoft game, you then slave away in your free time working on it, inputing ideas to make sure almost every airsofter is happy. And your working for peanuts here, you wont be earning a living off this, but its your hobby, your doing it anways. And here comes some fatass who just brings you down.

You try making a game, without any motivation. Guess what? You cant!

And positive feedback, is constructive feedback.

You're right dude.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply
know everyone thinks the game aggressive inline sucks, but as an aggressive roolerblader I love the game, just because its based on something I love, even if it is a "simulation of a simulation."

Did you even READ my post? A rollerblading game is not a simulation of a simulation. Airsoft simulates armed combat. A game simulating airsoft ( a sim) is in fact a simulation of a simulation. Do you see my point? Sims are wonderful. Simulations are great. But an Airsoft game just sounds redundant (I know its a big word, so look it up Phish).

Look Warlock, In my original post I just called it like I saw it. I took the time to read your concept, read the whole thread, then added my 2 cents. I was making no personal attack against you or your hobby or your passion. You wanted feedback, and I gave you some. It didn't happen to be what you wanted to hear, but hey, we are all adults and we can handle a little criticism.

Here is a pointer. The world is an awful big place. And sometimes people will disagree with you or think your idea isn't so hot. The thing you don't do is get all uppity and say

"I won't tolerate this!".

Anyway, I cease and desist. Sorry to get your panties in a knot.

and by the way...

I'm not fat.

That hurt my feelings!

I can't tolerate it!

I know there are people out there that think this game wont suceed, etc.

Personnaly, I dont give a ######, but keep it off of this thread.

How about this, you spend years learning a programming language, devote your life to it, and you have a great passion for that and airsoft. So you decide to create an airsoft game, you then slave away in your free time working on it, inputing ideas to make sure almost every airsofter is happy. And your working for peanuts here, you wont be earning a living off this, but its your hobby, your doing it anways. And here comes some fatass who just brings you down.

You try making a game, without any motivation. Guess what? You cant!

And positive feedback, is constructive feedback.

Go for it. It's your time, and you can do what you want with it. The fact that you're devoting your time to making a game to please us lot is something we should all be thinkful for :)

Did you even READ my post? A rollerblading game is not a simulation of a simulation. Airsoft simulates armed combat. A game simulating airsoft ( a sim) is in fact a simulation of a simulation. Do you see my point? Sims are wonderful. Simulations are great. But an Airsoft game just sounds redundant (I know its a big word, so look it up Phish).

Is it, though? I'm sure a lot of soldiers would disagree with airsoft being a simulation, even in mil-sim form.

I have just set up public forums for the airsoft game, its located at http://bnbentertainmentforums.tk/

Arnies: ^ Im not meaning to steal people (:P), and I hope that isn't considered advertising, and your against it. I just want to thank you for providing me with this forum, and such great members. :P

PS. I am going camping with my family for a week tomarrow, so dont mind the abscence of me. :P

I kinda side with Romanowski here. For me, The joy of playing airsoft involves getting in my gear and then hitting the field with guns in hand and friends on my side (or, better, in front of me. Haha.) In other words, I like the physical/material aspect of the hobby. If I want to play an airsoft-like computer game, then I might as well play Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon and toss in mods for extra weapons and equipment. Many airsofters seem to strive for realism in their guns, tactics, and gear. Given that, how many would really get into an airsoft-based game over a real-steel-based game, aside from the novelty of playing a game centered on our hobby?

A video game for airsoft brings in a whole new meaning for the term "chairsofter."

Regardless, if people want to go for it, that's fine. My suggestions for game ideas would involve selecting what field to play at, with each one having a different difficulty setting and fee. Players can choose quick and free local games to get some fast cash and if they do, toss in some funny parts when the locals call the cops over a "backyard" game.

I kinda side with Romanowski here.  For me, The joy of playing airsoft involves getting in my gear and then hitting the field with guns in hand and friends on my side (or, better, in front of me.  Haha.)  In other words, I like the physical/material aspect of the hobby.  If I want to play an airsoft-like computer game, then I might as well play Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon and toss in mods for extra weapons and equipment.  Many airsofters seem to strive for realism in their guns, tactics, and gear.  Given that, how many would really get into an airsoft-based game over a real-steel-based game, aside from the novelty of playing a game centered on our hobby?

A video game for airsoft brings in a whole new meaning for the term "chairsofter."

Regardless, if people want to go for it, that's fine.  My suggestions for game ideas would involve selecting what field to play at, which each one having a different difficulty setting and fee.  Players can choose quick and free local games to get some fast cash and if they do, toss in some funny parts when the locals call the cops over a "backyard" game.

Good points and ideas there, Im going to disagree, as I love actually playing the game, I cant play everyday, maybe 2-3 times a month, Im osessed with airsoft, and a game might give me my airsoft "fix" until the next game lol.

Also I love the idea of the cops coming, it would be funny, but maybe a negative aspect for the game, as he wants to promote how good the game is.

...moving on, Romanowski, I wasnt talking about the simulation of a simulation when I was talking about rollerblading. I was talking about how many people hate that game, while I like it because I actually do it. I was saying IMO That having a game based on a passion I would like it.

DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST??!?! :P

Good points and ideas there, Im going to disagree, as I love actually playing the game, I cant play everyday, maybe 2-3 times a month, Im osessed with airsoft, and a game might give me my airsoft "fix" until the next game lol.

Also I love the idea of the cops coming, it would be funny, but maybe a negative aspect for the game, as he wants to promote how good the game is.

...moving on, Romanowski, I wasnt talking about the simulation of a simulation when I was talking about rollerblading. I was talking about how many people hate that game, while I like it because I actually do it. I was saying IMO That having a game based on a passion I would like it.

DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST??!?!     :P

We're basically in the same boat, but mine is much slower and uncomfortable... kinda smells funny too. Um... What I mean is that I play once every two months if I'm lucky. The rest of the time is spent fiddling with my guns and buying more equipment that will not be used for even more months. Haha. Anyway, I enjoy military simulations that get me into the atmosphere. For me, I get a kick out of feeling like I'm really in the "fighting" world. If this game can instill that feeling of danger and excitement in me, then more power to them... Just don't make me have to hit a key repeatedly to wind my high-capacity magazine.

The police bit was just another part of what I think will add a real airsoft twist to the game. If you toss in an armory of real airsoft guns and have them modeled into the game, they'd look exactly the same as the guns in other FPS games, except you'd be firing BBs. How can you make it uniquely airsoft and possibly teach a lesson about safety? Buy cases for your guns or risk getting pulled over and having your guns visible in the back seat. Purchase proper eye protection or your chemistry goggles will crack on the field and ruin your visibility... (and end the match for you.) Get ejected or banned from the field for shooting at unsafe ranges repeatedly. Otherwise, have the player automatically say, "BANG!" instead of shooting when the trigger is pulled at dangerous ranges. These are just little pieces that can make an airsoft game more than a "simulation of a simulation." Make it airsoft. Don't like those concepts? Well I guess there's Rainbow Six, then.

DID YOU EVEN READ MY POST??!?!     :P

Yeah I really only go airsofting 4 times a month. Because I go almost everyweekend. And this game would let me go to a airsoft game every minute.

• 3 weeks later...

BTW: This is still going on, and everything is going pretty good.

I'll be finishing up the Design Document sometime next week, and then heavy development starts! The finished Design Document will include the list of guns to be included in the first public release, and concept art.

Weapons will be added through patches obviously, as even now, many guns are just coming out!

Right now, we are debating on what to do on our engine. We have 3 possibilities: A) Use an open-source liscene, that gives us all rights and pay towards publishing and releasing our game. B) Get a loan, and use a commercial engine, that gives us rights towards publishing and releasing, however, they require a certain amount of royalties or C) Use our own engine.

Each one has their pro's and con's. A) means we can get right on our game, however, we might be limited. B) Means we can get better performance, however there isn't as much support, might take some time to get the loan, and they expect pay. C) Means we can basically construct an engine to suit our needs, however will add towards a later release date.

• 1 month later...

My goal is to be able to show off the foundations of the game, such as the non-functional interface, and atleast terrain rendering, but part of a woodland map is planned.

An update on development, I'm doing this by myself with the Python language, equiped with the Realforge GDK Engine.

My goal is to be able to show off the foundations of the game, such as the non-functional interface, and atleast terrain rendering, but part of a woodland map is planned.

An update on development, I'm doing this by myself with the Python language, equiped with the Realforge GDK Engine.

Bleh, can't form a sentance. I meant to add around the end of the Christmas Holiday's. Once that step is done, then progess can start to move on pretty smoothly, because you have something to show and see and interact with, rather than a blank screen.

Can't wait for this! Great idea by the way!

(p.s. use real sounds. Get a microphone and record airsoft guns firing. There is nothing worse that playing an FPS with an MP5 that sounds like a support weapon!)

Definitly! I'm not an expert on real steel guns, but when I played several games... I found that sometimes the sounds were all the same, or muffled, or even mixed up. For the most part, all guns will sound the same. There will be the standard, GBB louder than AEG, NBB quieter than AEG, and then specific guns may be singled out. I read reports of the P90 and MK23 being some of the quietest guns just recently.

I thought you abandoned us!!!! Can you give us more details about this/ screenshots if possible? Do you have all the guns names that you wanted?

GIVE US INFO!!! and the forum you set up is gone, do you have a new website?

I've got a list of guns that I'll be including with the first release. From there, implemented patches will contain newer guns. I'm working on a new site right now, although I wont be getting it online until around the Christmas Holiday's when I have something to show off.

Could I get a link to the gun list.

I could give you an email with the document.

• 4 weeks later...

UPDATE:

I've got around to downloading the Realm Forge GDK engine. I'm having problems right now, as to be expected, but hope to have solved by the end of the week. In which case, I'll be able to start experimenting with the engine.

A prealpha preview is still expected for the Christmas Holiday's. (Its not technically a prealpha preview, but tells you its still extremely early on, and no where near the final thing, but its a begining start.)

PS: Sorry about that Drew, I'll be emailing you that list in a few seconds. :(

• 4 months later...
Any info on this?? Im really interested in this idea!

Holy thread revival I know, sorry guys, just trying to get some info out there!

Lol. Here's the didly do down. (No idea where I heard that....)

Yes, I was suppose to have a demo on Christmas, and yes, I was suppose to have alot of things by today... but that hasn't happened. School has cut into time, I'm haveing problems with Geometry, I've got Scouts, etc. etc. I also convinced myself to purchase some things... which I don't need.

I then was assigned a project at school on Friday. I choose to do a 3D game, it's due Monday. I did it yesterday, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Yes, the graphics suck, yes, the thing itself sucks... but give me a week, or more time, and it could be on par with something else. I had never modelled or messed with sound, or heck, 3D graphics before, but yet, I was sailing pretty smoothly.

I decided to get back into this thing. Right now, I'll be using Python, however, I'm going to TRY to learn C++ in the meantime.

I'm going to first work on getting a little map up, and then start adding features. From there, I'll probably get a website to host everything on.

I'm the most hardcore procrastinator ever...

Before, I said I was going to have to wait to purchase things before I could start. I've screwed that idea over. Sure, it would've made this easier and faster... but I would never pay $200 for programs to make a game, especially since I've lost my job, and still have lots of airsofting equipment, and upgrades left.

Right now, I'm setting up OGRE, which is a rendering engine, very capable, popular, and free. I'm having issues with it, but hopefully I'll be able to sort it out sometime this weekend.

I'm also going to run my Design Concept by my ELAR teacher, just to make sure for grammatical issuse, etc.

I'll keep you guys updated.

(Could a Mod delete my above post please? I dont want to double post, nor is the above post really needed)

Archived