Excel BBs

R22Master

I've used most types of BBs in my time and I have never come across a brand of BBs that managed to find as many ways of annoying me as Excel, and here's why...

• Excel .25g BBs are poorly made - on many batches you can actually see the seam that runs round the circumference of the BB. This does nothing for shot-to-shot accuracy.

• Excel 0.20g BBs are TOO SMALL! I had a problem with my TM Desert Eagle and TM Hi-Capa (my favorite GBBs) where the BBs were falling out of the barrel immediately after the slide scooped them from the magazine in to the breech. I tried several different bottles of Excel 0.20g BBs but none fixed the problem, neither did replacing the guns or components thereof. The problem was only fixed when I bought some "Goldfire" BBs. To further enforce this theory, my USP Compact magazines hold 1 more BB if I load them with Excel, than loading them with any other brand.

• Add to this that Excel repeatedly claim that their BBs are biodegradable when independant scientific tests have proven them not to be, and my opinion of Excel BBs is lowered further.

Yet EVERY time I ask someone what the best brand of BB is they say "Excel" (industry insiders included). Why is this? What actually makes the Excels better in their opinion? It's just a small ball of plastic after all, and my experiences indicate that Excels are causing more problems than any other brand I have used.

So are you one of the people who tells everyone Excels are better? If so, what makes them better?

Or do you, like me, think that Excels are missing the mark on quality?

Discuss... ;)

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use Toy Jet, since they're nice and cheap...

The only problem I have against Excel is that they claim their BBs are bio-degradable, something that...they are not.

Otherwise, Excels perform just as well as others, such as TM...

I had a problem with the 0.23g in my AEP. It was impossible to shoot with them. The magazines are too small. No problem with the 0.2g or 0.25g. And no problem with the 0.25g and the TN precision barrels.

I can't talk about my own tests here in these forum, but watch here in my download area for more informations.

I've been using Excel's from the begining. I have never had a jam, i've never found a damaged BB, I've never had a misshappen bb, and I've never had any significant seam (I can't honestly recall having a visible seam). They fly fine through all my weapons, and They don't jam my 6.03 prometheus tightbore AK Length barrel. I continue using it because it's never jammed, and this makes me happy. A lot of people at my local site swear by Airsoft Elite BB's and I may consider checking them out.

i was going to get excels instead of goldfire because they were a bit cheaper, but i don't think i will now. are goldfire better?

In my opinion, yes. But ask your local stockist or skirmish site and they will probably say no.

Goldfires are cheaper than Excels, have a smoother finish (great for maximizing HOP-UP, are consitant in size, shape and build, and are biodegradable (3 years in direct sunlight).

I just want to find out where this myth that Excels are the best comes from because it really confuses me. :mellow:

The skirmishing site I go to sells Excel BB's, but I personally use ICS BB's.

The Excel BB's I used when I first went skirmishing seemed fine for me, but it was my first time, and I didn't know any better  :rolleyes:

I certainly share the frustration with Excels. They're all that's sold around here, but I can't get over being charged far more for "biodegradeable" bbs that aren't. Bios are becoming the standard in California, but Excels could be what kills the sport for us. How many property owners have been told we'd only use bios but then come to find out that those bios will be visible for a long time to come? Loss of even one venue is too high a cost.

I just want to find out where this myth that Excels are the best comes from because it really confuses me.  :mellow:

I won't say that they are the best. It's just that I've never had a problem with them. Why would I switch brands if what I currently use works fine? Why fix what's not broken?

no their not

Excel .20g 3000pcs in Bottle  £4.79 

Goldfire .20g 3000pcs in Bottle  £5.86

Wow, Goldfire prices have skyrocketed then, and recently. I was in AA last week and the Goldfires were noticably cheaper than the Excels. :huh:

Wow, Goldfire prices have skyrocketed then, and recently.  I was in AA last week and the Goldfires were noticably cheaper than the Excels.  :huh:

Yeah same here mate. I bought a load and they were cheaper than Excel. I know this cos some guy in there teased me over buying Goldfire and advised me to get excel :rolleyes:

when I buy things for my MP5 is when I buy bbs because this is the time that I will be putting alot of rounds down my range, usually it is ICS from z1 as they are blummin good bbs, I then put them in my excel bag because it is resealable, HFCs are also good.

off-topic (kinda) how come 2 bottles of 3000 goldfire bbs are cheaper than one bottle of 6000 goldfire bbs?? :huh: why would you buy the bottle of 6000 then?? wheres the good deal in that?

Goldfire .20g 3000pcs in Bottle £5.86

Goldfire .20g 6000pcs in Bottle £11.74

Looks like it might actually be a web error then.

Yeah same here mate. I bought a load and they were cheaper than Excel. I know this cos some guy in there teased me over buying Goldfire and advised me to get excel :rolleyes:

Did this chap offer a single good reason why Excel was worth the extra money over the Goldfires, or did he just state it as fact? ;)

My m4 used to fire 2-3 bb's out at the same time :blink: i dont know why but it was probably due to excel's bb's, ive havent had a problem since i put my TN barrel in, im going to start using ics bb's seeing as they are £7.50 for 5000 from zero one (cheap as chips :) ). If the complaining continues, is anyone going to drop a line to excel about their poorly made bb's?

yep, after opening my bag of excel .25's i can see seam likes on everyone i've looked at, the finish is a bit rough compared to the excel .2g's i have as well <_<

havn't had any problems with the .2g bb's though ;)

When I got my M4 chopped down to a commando barrel I had to get a shorter inner barrel. The clerk told me to use high quality bb's otherwise I would damage the barrel, he chucked in a bag of excel's and told me those would be the best ones for to use so I just use them (this was from dentrinity)...and like someone already said theyre every where and Ive never had a problem with it so why change? :)

Archived