Excel BBs

R22Master

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many people have posted up their "I use Excel and it works so why change?" comments. That's cool - if it works for you then great. But this isn't a what BBs do you use thread. We have one of those currently going on at the moment (link).

What I want to know is...

• 1 - Am I the only one who sees these flaws in the Excel range (apparently not judging by previous responses) - post up if you too are seeing the flaws too,

2 - More importantly, why do people say they're the best you can get - it just doesn't make sense. Can anyone tell me why? Please.

Cheers ;)
What I want to know is...
  • 1 - Am I the only one who sees these flaws in the Excel range (apparently not judging by previous responses) - post up if you too are seeing the flaws too,

yep, if you hadn't metioned the seam lines on the .25g bb's i probably wouldn't have noticed :unsure: but now i have noticed the seam lines i don't plan to ever buy excel .25g bb's ever again :)

and once i've finished my bag of .2g excels i'll try either goldfire / ICS or KSC .2's ;) although i havn't had any problems with the .2g's yet :)

Hmm. Never Used Excel BB's myself, and probably won't after Hearing this. Atm I'm only using Toy-Tec 0.12's - but that's 'cause my only gun is a mini :D Well, that and you get an extra 400 more than a bag of TM rounds that are the same price.

I buy my BB's from AA, but I've never seen these Goldfire jobbies before (not in Amersham at least). We buy bulk (a box at a time), and all the boxes seemed to be Excel. A mate of mine bought the AA-brand bb's and a square lump of plastic was in one of the bags and jammed his magazine :lol: How we laughed...

Well, I shall bear this in mind next time we stock up, though all I ever see in AA is Excel, so I shall have to ask about these Goldfires. Unless they're more expensive, in which case they can bite the big one.

To be honest, I've only ever bought excels purely because they come in a ziplocked bag. The bottled BB's I got last time I was at firefight scotland have worked just as well, and in fact, that's whats in the ziplocked bags now.

Can't say that I've seen a problem. That said, single-shot can be a little inconsistent (i've always put that down to the "funny" AUG mechanism).

I've tried ICS and AA (Goldfire, allegedly. No idea apart from hearsay).

Excels vary much more to the "random yellow", but I can't see that the 25s (all that I use, these days) have given me specific problems.

I was looking to change to Biovals (old fart, misguided attempt to not quite destroy what's left of the planet). After seeing someone at CSW with "gooey" BBBs, I'm sticking (pun not entirely intended) with what I know.

It's all a bit difficult, with just about everything being 20s or being a little "give me your credit card, and don't look when you sign".

For the record, the 5000-odd ICS bag of 20s didn't have a single misfire. Tha said, one datum point don't make a trend :waggle::rolleyes:

R22,

You mention that seam, which I have looked at and wondered about too. But I thought it was normal, from the BB`s I`ve bought.

However, I do think that "seam" would not give me absolute accuracy, and that is what I seek. That casting seam is totally contrary to some basic priciples of accuracy.

What brands can I buy that DO NOT have this seam, if I may ask, so that I don't buy more with this same problem.

TIA,

Randall

Iv used TM, ICS, Excel and Goldfire BB's

Excel bb's are ####. Excel 0.25 dont feed on my G36.

I use TM ones. TM 0.25 are the best bb's you can get for low powered sniper rifles. Cant fault them out at 40 meters. Also work very well in AEG's. Id normally use TM 0.2 in my AEG but the local place has ran dry. So im stuck with ##### excel until i order some in.

Out of the bunch TM ARE the best with ICS and Goldfire join second place, could't really choose between the two. With Excel being way behind.

Iv had misshapen Excel BB's and BB's that are different wights in the bags that iv had. (You can tell because the different wights are slightly different shades)

I've been told that Goldfire BBs are unlubed, and thus jam more. That said, you ould lube them yourself I guess :)

Methinks I'll try em naxt time :)

A mate of mine bought the AA-brand bb's and a square lump of plastic was in one of the bags and jammed his magazine :lol: How we laughed...

I've also been told that AA BBs are Goldfire ones in a different bag.

Which is a tad unnerving...ever seen a misshaped one, Will?

I must also say that Alpha 55 ran out of Excels a few months back and had to sell Goldfire instead (if I remember correctly). Many people there complained of misshapen BBs - not SQUARE, but not round either. In the end they ended up sifting through the bags at home to find the good ones... :rolleyes:

Iv used TM, ICS, Excel and Goldfire BB's

Excel bb's are ####. Excel 0.25 dont feed on my G36.

I use TM ones. TM 0.25 are the best bb's you can get for low powered sniper rifles. Cant fault them out at 40 meters. Also work very well in AEG's. Id normally use TM 0.2 in my AEG but the local place has ran dry. So im stuck with ##### excel until i order some in.

Out of the bunch TM ARE the best with ICS and Goldfire join second place, could't really choose between the two. With Excel being way behind.

Iv had misshapen Excel BB's and BB's that are different wights in the bags that iv had. (You can tell because the different wights are slightly different shades)

i've also found TM .25's to be excelent quality :D very very smooth, consistant colour, no bits in the bags :D only problem is they cost quite a bit more than other brands <_<

Well i use excells because when i came here and started asking what bbs to use it was allways "excells mate- they am teh bestest." I have no idea why, but that idea just keeps getting past on. Maybe a while back all the competitors were terrible?

Also KSC highgrades. Corporal pain had many problems with them and hated them. Yet McMadKat as far as i know, loved them :S Its a confusing world.

I never really put too much thought into BBs before. I just used what everyone else was using (Excel) and they seem good enough. Never had a jam or anything like that (excluding shotguns).

I have a variety of BBs sitting right here, so lets take a look.

Marui .20

Super duper shiny and smooth. Very slippery between the fingers. No seams at all.

Excel .20

Color not as white as Marui BBs. Almost yellowish. Not as smooth or shiny as Marui BBs. Feel different between the fingers. After inspecting a bag of 3700 for a few minutes I did in fact find a few visible seams. Not only that, I could feel said seams with my fingernail.

Excel 2.0 Bio

Almost brownish color. Lots of little brown specks. Much shinier and smoother than the non-bio Excels. Feel waxy to the touch. Much more visible seams. I could pick out several immediately upon opening the bag.

Are Excel BBs really smaller as R22Master suggests? Lets do a science experiment, give me a few minutes...

I can cram 24 Marui BBs into my Marui GLOCK17 springer. I loaded the BBs one at a time by hand, and they went in smooth as butter, due to their smooth finish.

The Excel BBs were much more difficult to load by hand! I really had to force those suckers in there. They are not smooth like the Maruis and actually seemed to stick a bit. And, contrary to R22Master, I could only get in 23! Less than with Marui BBs!

The Excel Bio BBs went in very easily, like the Maruis. They fed very easily, not sticking at all. The real surprise: I could get 25 in the magazine! Thats right, the Excel Bios seem so be smaller than non-bio Excel.

Here are the results from the loading experiment:

Marui .20: Fed smoothly, easily. Nice finish, no seams. Loaded 24 in GLOCK mag.

Excel .20: Difficult to feed, stuck. Not smooth. A few visible seams. 23 in GLOCK mag.

Excel .20 Bio: Super smooth feed. Waxy. Many visible seams. 25 in GLOCK mag.

I was really surprised by this experiment. Anyone care to continue this little project by doing some experiments on the range?

What brands can I buy that DO NOT have this seam, if I may ask, so that I don't buy more with this same problem.

Well, I have found that ICS, Goldfire and TM never have that seam. The "seam" is only a phenomenon of Excel 0.25g and cheap 0.12g BBs. I prefer ICS and Goldfire as my BBs of choice.

I've been told that Goldfire BBs are unlubed, and thus jam more. That said, you ould lube them yourself I guess :)

Unlubed?????

BBs aren't lubed. I think you are referring to the "polished" surface found on some brands.

From my experiences, AA BBs are the roughest, Excels follow close behind, ICS BBs are pretty good and Goldfire have the best, most polished finish.

Never heard of a pre-lubed BB before in my life!

Danka Master.

I`m going to have to buy some good BB`s, thought that seam was inevitable, LOL.

Thank you for the help, as well to Roman for his input as well. I need to look for these three brands. Its time to buy BB`s anyways.

As far as oiling BB`s, I`ve found thats a sure fire way to get them to spit out the top of the slide durring recoil. From what I`ve seen in use, they should be clean, and dry.

I also get much better accuracy when my barrel is dry, oil will send the BB`s flying almost everywhere.

Cheers,

Randall

I've been using the same bag of excel .25s for some time, I haven't had a single jam. I switched over from Inertia's .25s which are the bottom of the barrel my P90 sliceed one while firing and sucked it into its gear box, bugger stripped a piston tooth. I haven't noticed any seam lines, although to test the bio theory I have a few sitting in water on my window sill, all that happend so far is that half of the BB has turned a darker color, not fading either I stir them every day or so.

I don't know who said Excel is the best brand of BBs. I just see it at most of the retailers. I'd say it's popular, and I guess according this thread, it's all there is about Excel.

I hadn't need to buy BBs separately because everytime I buy a gun, it comes with a couple thousands of BB for free. :P I don't think they are Excel because I don't see seam lines on them.

Excel .2 BBs consistently jam in the stock 6.03mm tightbore barrel of my WA M4013 TSW. They are smaller than the KSC "perfect" .2s I normally use and the loading nozzle pushes them occasionally too far into the barrel so they roll out upon firing.

In my experience, Excel .25 non-bio smooth BBs never give me this issue, but then agan, the cheaper KSC .2 smooth grind BBs have NEVER let me down, even in my old finicky KSC Mac-11.

Ive used 3 bags of Excels without a problem in a stock gun, but now I have a bag of KSC perfect, because thats what the site sold. They are certainly very smooth and shiney, but cant give a comparison with performance, as ive only used them in cqb, where as i used excel in woodland.

Ive been looking at my bag .20 and i cant find these seams :huh:  maybe imjust blind...i cant feel them either....  They feed find in my M4 but they jame a lot in my GBB's either that or my GBB's are poorly maintained (probably a bit of both)

they only seem to be on the .25g bb's ;)

Archived