parents

Linzoy

I am not sure whether this is good or bad or plain ReDNek.

My whole immediate family have section1 and section 2 licences. Yup even my mother.

Unsurprisingly there was no opposition to airsoft

As far as I am concerned firearms are a totally natural part of everyones life. It worries me that people cannot accept that human beings have a natural desire to own thigns that go boom or shoot stuff.

Damn, what was that Freud quote:

<paraphrase>A fear of weapons is a sure sign of sexual retardation</paraphrase>

As for the mothers fear of the army I solved that problem by saying that it wasnt all killing and that the Challenger 2 is reasonably indestructable! (joining RDG)

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but I have a question and I didn't want to start a new one. My parents are fine with me having a gun, fine with me mucking around with it, fine with me spending evey penny on airsoft. However my father seems to have (and he acnoleges it is baseless) an idea that your all pikey chavs with punk haircuts and a weird facination with guns. I have reasoned with him and he accepts my arguements, but nevertheless he does NOT feel confortable with me going to a skirmish alone. He might go to one with me, but doesn't really want to go himself cos of the earlier irrational belief. Could you just tell me a little about why you play, what kind of guys you are etc, so I can show him who you are. Because he will feel really uncomfortable until you do. Thanks a lot guys.

I've talked to british people on the internet before coming to this site and they all seemed to hate chavs. This forum is no exception.

Airsoft isn't the kind of sport that attracts criminals and morons, and when it does, those people are kicked out because the game is based on the honor system.

Some people think fascination with weapons is connected to power issues, needing an outlet for anger, or simply being a stupid lowlife with nothing better to do. I think there are all sorts of people intrested in owning guns. It's instinctual, because the ability to weild weapons is the only reason humans wern't killed by all the other animals.

I bought my M4 before trying any skirmishing but i did want to try it out , unfortunately i couldnt get any of my lazy *albatross* friends to turn up on a sunday morning (too early for them too hung over etc)

So... i went to my first skirmish by myself. Im 34, married, i run my own business and id like to think im fairly responsible. But i was kinda thinkign that i would turn up at the Skirmish site and be (A) The oldeest swinger in town! and (B) quite possibly surrounded by gun nuts and survivalist types! :P

Thankfully i was wrong on both counts.. Airsoft seems to be like any other Hobby, you will get folks who are into it for any number of reasons but most importantly its a very rare thing to find any truly annoying "chav" types. All the people i have met at Skirmishes have been pretty decent and at least civil if not outright friendly.

I suggest you get your dad out to a skirmish to elt him see what its all about. You may even want to put him in the other team so you can get a few pot shots at him.. but if your really smart you'll let him get you a few times! (tis good for the ego lol)

pilman, thats not useful.

i airsoft because it lets me escape the real wrld a bit. get alot of exorcise and use my brain for something other than books and essays for a while. done right, airsoft is a thinking mans game. take your dad to a skirmish. (best if you go to one where people from this board play) and point out the idiots (theres always some), then point out the good players. people who actually give a damn about what they're doing. let him talk to a marshal about site safety.

its harder to fear the known.

as for what kind of spook i am, i'm an employee of the MOD currently responsible fr the education of ACF cadets while i complete my criminology degree. after that i'm off to sandhurst with the intention of becoming an officer in the intelligence corps. other members of my team are design students, one is a professional html code monkey who spends his weeks trapped in an office job.

hope this is more relevant and helpful to you.

Ingo

pilman, thats not useful.

i airsoft because it lets me escape the real wrld a bit. get alot of exorcise and use my brain for something other than books and essays for a while. done right, airsoft is a thinking mans game. take your dad to a skirmish. (best if you go to one where people from this board play) and point out the idiots (theres always some), then point out the good players. people who actually give a damn about what they're doing. let him talk to a marshal about site safety.

its harder to fear the known.

ingo

My dads dead, however he was a gun addict. He would have loved airsoft if he was still alive today.

• 6 months later...

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones, my dad was a marine so he loves guns. Don't really know my mom so her opinion doesn't matter. I used to paintball when I was 14 but stopped because of how expensive paint was, so when I started to airsoft I mentioned how cheap bb's are and everything went smooth.

Even though my dad loves guns and has always been very lenient with everything I have done some convincing and changing of other people's opinions on things. I was one of those people with brightly dyed hair in highschool listening to metal so I had to really talk to a few of my friends parents that wouldn't even let me on their property!

From that experience I can tell you that there is alot of good advice in this thread so far. I would really emphasize the exercise you get, and how it is safe with proper protection. Even explain the honour system involved with calling your hits and the teamwork skills you will learn. Tell her how some companies take their employees out to paintball/airsoft games to work on teamwork and leadership skills. Be mature and stay calm during every conversation, she will take every little thing as an insult if she is already taking the fact that you want to airsoft as one. Usually I would let her initiate conversations but if you were to start with something like "Mom can we talk?" and just start talking to her about life and gradually move into airsoft, explain how you want a hobby and would like to try this. I would probably model my outfit after a video game character rather than buying camo in your situation. Do extra things around the house if you can. Get a job so you are paying for everything yourself if you don't already have one. Remember at all times, you are the mature one.

I went with my dad to a sports store while my mom was on vacation to see her family and bought a 20$ P99 springer. (he bought a 4.5mm CO2 PPK/S) She was mad about it at first, but got over it as time went by. A few years later, and I have gone through a G17, G26, .38 S&W, MP5 SD5 (the 17 was an hfc, the 26 is a marui, the .38 is a tanaka, and the SD5 is a marui)

-Sh0ty

just kill them, it makes everything easier with them out of the way

but then you need money and deal with police, dont bury them cause dogs will find them

This, and the other posts here of the same naure, are some of the reasons people get the wrong idea about Airsoft...

It may not have been serious, but outsiders visiting these forums and elsewhere, will take it the wrong way. So be sensible, and dont.

What? Oh damnit, I was gonna get all right-wing again and tell everyone how to gas jews properly and what to take out womb-stabbing of a Friday night ;) ;)

I think everyone has gathered that we speak only in jest, if not then you may as well go get that job in McDonalds and just write yourself off as defective for the rest o' yer life :P

My mum would have hated me to have a Springer pistol, but now she's fine with my airsoft collection, I used to paintball =£50, airsoft =£14 (average), so make sense, when I explained it was a safe sport she didn't mind.

She actually thinks it's good because if I run around playing airsoft I won't have a need to join the army (something which I have been considering).

I married with two kids and LOVE this sport it's the best hobby i've ever had and find no problem with my kids eventually playing ( I think 9 is a bit too young yet),

I have always wanted to "play" army, the buzz is knowing you can go and shoot all these people at the site and know you're not going to hurt anyone.

I also think it can teach kids to respect guns in general. the only problems are the numpties who think it's fun to shoot people in the street. They're just idiots.

As for you're parents not understanding it take them along to a game, if you're a member of a good site they'll soon see how responsible a sport it is, and with any luck they might start too :D

My dad never had a problem with it, we go hunting all the time and to the range and all.

My mother is a panzy, originally i had to convince her that one of my friends who played airsoft was a good person so airsoft couldnt be a bad thing and then mumbo jumbo about how if his parents let him do it and you dont then ill make you my !@#$%(jk), then for a while i told her i was going to wear a replica helmet(like the bb's were going to pierce my thick head, lol) and a full mask so i wont hurt my face, and as soon as i got to the field i just wore the shooting glasses. I think the best way is to use a friend as an example though, especially if your 2 families are friends then use their rents as leverage.

mario is right too, i told her something of the sort about how i would draft dodge or something(which i wouldnt ever) if our wonderful crazy nation went to some other nation ruled by a fanatical dictator who is being picked on because he cant play with all the toys in the sand box

Before i got my first airsoft gun i explained in detail to my parents how they work, what i will be using it for, and the safety precautions that i will follow and that most(hopefully all) airsoft players do follow. I also let my dad shoot my gun when i got it and i let him shoot all my other guns when i got those as well. I always keep my parents informed of airsoft(when where and who i play with). Those guidelines keep things very smooth between me, my parents, and my airsoft guns.

Archived