Star M249 Para Examined...

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What are you guys doing to them?? I've had my M249 Para for 6 months now and used it almost every weekend and put excess of 40K rounds through it with NO problems what so ever. :D

The only problem i had is when i slipped a couple of weekends ago, landed on the gun and snapped the top of the box max off. :angry: (But alot of superglue fixed it a treat and it still works perfectly! :) )

I've just come back from a friday+night match with some friends, me and my friend set up in a machine gun nest/hole thing with one of these, an M4 and 2 glocks, and we defended it for a good hour before someone got close enough to pop a smoke, misjudge the range, and land it about 2 inches from my face, and we both had to jump out of the hole, before we got smoked.

It completely outshot the other team, me and him together were able to supress movement from a good 15 odd opposing team members for a while at the beginning.

I was very jealous, he's had it 4 months now, and he's glued a small crack in the top, but thats it, no problems at all.

Very cool gun in my opinion.

Well, this thread having convinced me to try one (I've owned the TOP MkII and found it too big and cumbersome for airsoft use), I picked one up used.

I'm having a problem with the connection from the box mag to the gearbox; gearbox runs fine with battery hooked directly to it, and the mag winds when trigger is pulled, but gearbox isn't getting juice from the drum.

I tried unscrewing the cover on the drum feed and re-seating the contacts; the contacts in the mag well look fine. I can't find my multimeter at the moment to check if it's getting current to the contacts though. I can't see any breaks in the wires anywhere.

The really odd part is that when I first got it and tried it out, it would get enough current to the gearbox for the motor to make a little click, like it wasn't getting enough voltage to turn the gears. Now it doesn't even do that.

Any ideas?

Alright, so I took my 249 out to a game and way overused it...haha. So now I have a little issue with the gearbox. The piston seems to keep moving too far forward and will therefore not allow the sector gear to grab it. Upon opening the gearbox I found a very small clear plastic piece that I can only assume broke off of the gearbox shell. So my question is, is there a piece on the gearbox that keeps the piston from going too far forward and if so the only solution is probably for me to buy a new shell, correct?

Thanks for any help you can offer guys,

-Lutz

Hey guys! Just had a battery cause a fire in my ammo box, due to what looks like a poor negative connection. G+P made the battery, and they are now trying to run me around about the damage done my 249. I do mean literally on fire. Namely being it burned all the wiring from the battery to the motor, melting everything in between. If anyone has some advice on who to get ahold of who regulates this type of thing, (if there is anyone in Hong Kong) please let me know. !

Hey guys, so Im just about to pick one of these up second hand and I was wondering if any of you guys could tell me what to look for in terms of problems or bits that may be going wrong ?

Hey.

If I didn't massively misunderstand your question, you want to know which parts might be already or soon after buying broken?

If that is the case, then you should be really looking at the hop bucking and piston head. I think those are the weakest parts in stock form, and can be upgraded easily.

I really wonder how people get to shoot tens of thousands of BB's through stock guns without any problems, as on my M249 those parts mentioned above were completely useless before I shot the gun even once by myself. (Got it second hand also, approx. 10,000 rounds shot before) I think that it got stored in cold places during postage, which messed up the poor quality rubber parts.

Just make sure it feeds properly, and if it shoots with nice FPS then you should have no problems, and I can even recommend it to you. If not, you may not want to get it unless you have some engineer-spirit to make it work. ;)

Oh, forgot to add (and this forum won't let me edit)--my cylinder is painted black, and the piston is clear (transparent). Anyone else have those parts? Are they a new version, or did they come from some other gun?

Can't really say if those are parts from newer/older version, but my piston is black, and the cylinder is gold-colored. I believe that newer Star pistons are indeed clear, but not sure about that cylinder.

Edited by Ghoosti
  • 2 weeks later...
does anybody know where to find new, complete gearboxes? have they been released and if so, where can i get them?

As far as im aware the clamied Red, Yellow and Clear complete gearboxes have not been produced and probably never will be. How ever you can find the star clear gearbox alone. also there are many metal gearboxes that are a copy of the star gearbox which IMO offer better longevity.

As far as im aware the clamied Red, Yellow and Clear complete gearboxes have not been produced and probably never will be. How ever you can find the star clear gearbox alone. also there are many metal gearboxes that are a copy of the star gearbox which IMO offer better longevity.

I'd love to buy a metal GB but with my incredibly low income I can't justify buying a metal GB because I'm not sure if the actual shell is what is causing the issue with my 249. I can't find anything that would cause the piston to sit too far forward. That makes absolutely no sense to me.

• 2 weeks later...

After searching this long and extensive thread I cannot find an answer to my dilemma. The small electrical switch that activates the boxmag autowinding mechanism is completely broken. I have emailed STAR about this and have not received a reply is over 4 weeks. Does anyone know where I can pick one of these up or possibly a fix to this little piece? any help would be much appreciated, thanks

I just picked up the new MK46 SPW from Airsoft GI. I quickly added my Eotech 552 Holosight to the top rail and a foregrip to the forward bottom rail. If anyone wants detailed pics of the new feed system or other features let me know and I'll oblige.

Yup, please do write a review!

sorry that's not the right switch. You can try the store you bought it from or from Star directly. Or you could make your own using a micro switch.

What part of the M249 is that switch for then? I havn't encountered any others during my many disassemblies of the gun