My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Sledge

• Replies 24.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a job will "only take 5 minutes" what that means is "It will take a minimum of half an hour".

If you give me 10 of those "quick fastballs" a day - I won't be able to do anything else.  Including my job.

Also I am ill, I believe it to be haemorrhagic swine aids so probably just a cold but I smell ill, I have hospital/old people's home/ginger sweat.

So:

My hard drive is *fruitcage* cheesed. It's not dead yet, but it's very obviously dying. Good that a new one of the same capacity will cost me just half the money this one cost (because my previous hard drive crapped itself at the most inopportune moment right after the floods that ruined the HDD factories in Thailand).

It's the Electricity Bill Paying Month next month, so I'll have to cough up fifty quid in addition to all the other bills.

I'm already broke, and it's not even half of the month.

I'd just throw the *fruitcage* thing out of the window, if not for the two-year warranty that hasn't run out yet. Which means I need to source some anti-static bubble wrap and send it back for replacement.

OK. Now this is bull *suitcase* of the highest order. Since a week, those lazy *suitcases* from postal service are giving me the runaround regarding my package. A package that, as I can clearly see from China Post logs, left China two weeks ago to the day, and hasn't turned up in Poland yet, at least officially (but my guess is that some thieving *suitcase* actually thought he had found real jewelry, and not dime store baubles, and ran off with them). Not one of my other packages sent in that timeframe came delayed or went missing, despite similar contents.

Some absolute cock-end on eBay dragging his feet with refunding me for an item which didn't arrive. Insisting that its at my local sorting office and saying he will ring them on Monday.

Honestly, if he's that bothered about refunding my £4 then maybe he should have sent it on more than standard second class post so he wouldn't have to.

A delivery company that delivered in the evening would make an absolute killing! I've got a good set of neighbours around me who will offer to take a parcel in if needs be, and likewise we would do the same for them, but it isn't as easy as that for many people who will often have to book a day off work to sit in waiting for a parcel.

I'm not saying you guys are guilty of this, but I know so many people that have been *suitcase* on by Apple and their 'amazing' phones and keep on going back for more.  It's like they know there are better phones out there but don't want them as they don't have a little apple on the back...

Have had 2 Htc phones burn out and I hate samsungs spares prices and charging dock / charger failure /problems . Not to mention screen / chassis prices also not a fan of their operating menus . . Also the iPhone has the ability to block unwanted calls / texts. ,messages from the phone .

Android can do that too though.

I agree that the new charging/computer connection port on the iPhone is better than the micro USB-B fitted to Samsungs but I have literally never used the one on my SGS4.

With wireless charging and WiFi direct there is no need for a cable.

Everyone is different but the lack of user replaceable battery and SD card slot in Apple products (and the HTC-One) is an instant no for me.

I guess the problem is the different philosophy, Android is an OS that is available on a massive range of products and iOS is only for the iPhone.

If you don't like Samsung or HTC phones you still have Google's own Nexus brand, LG, Sony, etc.etc.etc.

This whole OS swap issue happens literally every time they change it but you never hear of the same issues with Android because almost every phone has a different version of the software and the new versions have a soft roll out over the different platforms.

Also, going from Windows to Apple for the reason "virus and spam" is basically opening yourself up to the same problem.

A single operating system on a closed hardware platform.

In this case Linux is the equivalent to Android.

Open source and available across multiple hardware platforms with equivalent functionality to Apple.

In both cases the difference is that the Linux/Android solution is generally for power users who have IT experience/can be bothered and the Apple/Apple solution is for people who don't have the experience/can't be bothered.

You choose Apple and you have to accept these issues.

I know a few people that had issues with some of the older HTCs but I had a Desire for 18 months and it was nothing short of amazing.  From what I hear, the new ones are solid.  Do you you break your phone a lot then if you worry about replacement parts cost?  And the cool thing about Android is if you don't like the menus, you stick on a ROM you do like.  I imagine there are some that mimic iOS.  I've certainly not heard about any problems charging wise for Samsung .  My S II was ridiculously good and same for S IV.  You can block calls on Android too...  Have Apple been flaunting that as exclusive to iPhone? lol

This is fantastic. Not liking the menu's? When was the last time you changed make of TV because you didn't like the menu's?

I can literally change anything on my android phone. As I'm typing this I have the option of 3 different soft keyboards, (each brilliant but some slightly better for normal typing and others better for more punctuation and coding commands).

I can choose which ROM I use, which version of Android to use, what skin over android (such as HTC sense), what kernel to run, what apps have access to the Internet, what speeds my CPU runs at different times and how my battery level is displayed, to mention a few.

With regards to spares being expensive, that's *badger*s. How much is a replacement for for the notoriously fragile iphone screens?

As to chargers/ docks failing, it's the first I've heard of it, and i've had no issues with my current phone which I've had for nearly 3 years now (HTC desire s).

Sounds like you're justifying having an iphone to yourself as much as to other people.

To be honest. It's a phone. Who the *fruitcage* cares whether then next man has a HTC, Apple or Samsung? I mean really, it makes no difference, if you get worked up about the fact that your handheld communications box works in a trivially different manner to a different handheld communications box, you might need to review your priorities.

Having a son who is a manager at carphone warehouse I can pick and choose any phone I want. I have had most of the models worth having. The iPhone I chose purely for its ability to block phone numbers, messages, unwanted calls. Which none of the other phones can do as of yet . An iPhone screen is 49 pound fitted, a samsung screen (that fail a lot) is 120 quid, 75 quid for a snide one. Also my iPhone is jailbroken so I can chose anything I want on it. have had an s4 and it was ok, three Htc phones that all failed, and their customer service/after care is abysmal, and that's being polite. Resale value is also an issue, and iPhones hold their value more than any other phone, apart from my vertu phone. Which is in another league for resale value.

Ironically enough, a change of lock screen wallpaper negated the issues I had with the text layout change and now it's growing on me.

The increased functionality is good, it's just the icon design and new safari layout which annoys me now.

Archived