Jump to content
Sledge

My eye! Sweet Jesus, Ouch!

Recommended Posts

Besides the usual pains I've expressed before, I wasted time, money, and parts trying to get a backup gearbox set to go in my 74m body.  Spent almost a week and it just wouldn't work right, so I ended up taking the 12:1 gears I got for it to work on the 105 gearbox again.  Cue finding out why it made a clunk noise a few months back, the metal spring guide had come apart and the piston head had come undone.  In a gearbox sporting a m95 spring that had probably been used for less than 20 midcaps over the last few months...

I'm done trying to do tech work, if I could I'd convert everything to hpa and be done with it now.  I have had so much frustration just trying to do simple things, and even when I think they are fine, stuff breaks way too early afterwards.  I need gearboxes that will work without needing a spring change, aoe correction, etc. and don't cost a cyma to acquire at this point.

Just puts a damper on any moment of trying to take my mind off all the other *suitcase* right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I blew 600 quid worth of Christmas bonus and savings on a computer upgrade, and it turns out that (apparently because of having them 50 quid cheaper than the next one) the store ran out of RTX 2070Supers (meanwhile, the next store was flogging the pre-Super 2070s for 360 quid, 40 off the original price). So now I'm waiting for the delivery to arrive next week, and that after having to buy a new PSU and a beater secondary monitor with a DP input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuine first world problem, but my brand new smartphone is absolutely atrocious.

 

Don't buy a pixel 4, guys. The reviews are accurate, but mine was pre-order.

The camera is excellent, and that's about it. Really poor battery life and terrible WiFi reception. The swiping between apps is clunky, keyboard is a hair's breadth too small so typing isn't fun, and it's laggy when trying to punctuate. Screen brightness doesn't always go high enough either.

I'm sure there's more, but really don't bother if you were considering one. Volume settings are cob too. Lastly, my fault for assuming it had, but you can't expand the memory, which it terrible as it only has 64gb on board. Well, 53 in reality...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Girlfriend has had a series of tests, and it turns out she needs special glasses... with £200 quid orange lenses. Given her propensity for sitting on/standing on/dropping her glasses, this could be a very expensive game.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, scorch said:

Girlfriend has had a series of tests, and it turns out she needs special glasses... with £200 quid orange lenses. Given her propensity for sitting on/standing on/dropping her glasses, this could be a very expensive game.

That sucks.

Do you mind disclosing what she's been diagnosed with? I've never heard of a requirement for orange lenses, and dad was an optician.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2019 at 5:39 PM, shmook said:

Genuine first world problem, but my brand new smartphone is absolutely atrocious.

 

Don't buy a pixel 4, guys. The reviews are accurate, but mine was pre-order.

The camera is excellent, and that's about it. Really poor battery life and terrible WiFi reception. The swiping between apps is clunky, keyboard is a hair's breadth too small so typing isn't fun, and it's laggy when trying to punctuate. Screen brightness doesn't always go high enough either.

I'm sure there's more, but really don't bother if you were considering one. Volume settings are cob too. Lastly, my fault for assuming it had, but you can't expand the memory, which it terrible as it only has 64gb on board. Well, 53 in reality...

Since it is stock Google it should be super easy to fix that with a bit of a root.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Hedganian said:

When you buy something for several hundred pounds, you shouldn't have to 'fix it' by hacking the OS in order to make it usable though.

Whenever you buy a thing that costs several hundred pounds you should actually own the damn thing and be able to do anything you want with it.
The fact that you have to root a phone to do that is irritating.

The fact that some manufacturers take steps to prevent you unlocking the bootloader and rooting your phone should be illegal.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least in airsoft it usually just something glued/pinned in place that can be "removed" via swearing, hot air/water, or a dremel, sometimes all 3.

Caught a head cold of sorts, likely from a coworker, making this whole holiday week more shittier than it already usually is.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually got up at 0700 and went to Aldi before it opened on Thursday to get their latest release of Kevin related plushies, and *still* didn't get the new sprout and tomato characters.

 

I then went to every Aldi in the city. All sold out.

 

There's no way there was anything a full allocation of those two characters compared to the others. There were hundreds of the carrot family themselves left but the sprouts and tomatoes were gone in minutes.

 

Why they continue to create this artificial scarcity is beyond me, especially since they're not the ones actually benefitting from it. The only people who benefit are the few who are able to get the things for £4 each in the shop and then sell them on ebay for £30+

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Hedganian said:

I actually got up at 0700 and went to Aldi before it opened on Thursday to get their latest release of Kevin related plushies, and *still* didn't get the new sprout and tomato characters.

Umm, you do realize that you can get them on AliExpress? That, and we have that exact plushie lunacy over here as well, it's a scam so stupid that people on the internet deride it, and you know how stupid people on the internet are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Unless it's Aldi managers using their personal accounts to sell them on eBay...

34 minutes ago, Hedganian said:

Why they continue to create this artificial scarcity is beyond me, especially since they're not the ones actually benefitting from it. The only people who benefit are the few who are able to get the things for £4 each in the shop and then sell them on ebay for £30+

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hedganian said:

I did not realise that.

I will look now.

The local plushie lunacy is how I learned it. People were ordering whole sets on AliExpress and flogging them on the local auction website.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not seeing them on there, probably not searching for the exact right description.

 

I'm sure a few staff are cashing in - hell, I would if I worked there and could get away with it - but they'd need to be discreet about it as Aldi will probably sack them if they were caught.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Isn't it a case of artificial scarcity to get people to shops where they will inevitably buy other stuff seeing as they're there? Win win for Aldi.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kevin the carrot and variants are quite specific.  They're not some generic vegetable plushie.  Aldi and ebay are the only places you can get them I believe.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, they're not the same design at all.

 

 

I don't know how much it worked for Aldi, as I saw plenty of people walking out with nothing when they couldn't get the toys they were after. The scarcity is certainly working for the people reselling the things on ebay for about ten times what they paid...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just like Nintendo and their Amiibo craze, which has caused folks to literally hijack the transports carrying them.

I half wonder how many airsoft retailers do it as well, just saw evike brought back TM recoil aks just to sell them for near 600 dollars claiming that they were "difficult to import till we with our partners made it happen" which is a load of crock.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.