Teach me english...

FUmiYAsu

Being from Hong Kong means that I don't know some of the english that I speak in exact form...a recent phrase that's puzzling me is that I've been trying to figure out but didn't ask anyone was whether it should be "can't be arsed" or "can't be asked"?

I know it means can't be bothered but I've never really learn this sort of phrases properly...So which one is it? (or are they both right?)

Well fair enough, if that's what you say, that's what you say, but it's fair to summise that 'arsed' is the more common turn of phrase. As seen here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=can't...:en-US:official

And less so here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hs=w2J&hl=e...nG=Search&meta=

I know it means can't be bothered but I've never really learn this sort of phrases properly...So which one is it? (or are they both right?)

Its both. It probably sarted as "Can't be asked" and then got bastardised into "Can't be arsed".

But, you can use them both, mate. :)

"Can't be asked" has everything to do with motivation. As in; "You can't even ask me to do that", etc.

cba - cannot be arsed

i've only ever heard of 'cant be asked' by foreigners who didnt know the correct term and had instead relied on the phonetics [but hadnt listened closely], and presumed that we had a silent 'k' because '*albartroth*' didnt exist for them when they learnt english [usually bottom or posterior] - so while they werent familiar with '*albartroth*' they were with 'asked' and presumed it was some funny english variant on a phrase.

And so it begins...

At least I can't be mistaken for Jow now :P

EDIT: Ohh and no I didn't shave it off to prove Doc wrong, incase you were wondering :huh:

"Can't be asked" has everything to do with motivation.  As in; "You can't even ask me to do that", etc.

I don't understand :huh: that really makes no sense. You being asked to do something would mean that you would have an opposition in doing it for someone, not whether you can be bothered to do something or not :bleh:

Archived