1911 Picture Thread

Howdy Zen,

I suggest sticking a narrow ambi tac trigger (or single-sided narrow), swapping out the trigger and replacing the MSH with a flat one, maybe a magwell-flat like on the FBI Trial.

Unless you want to do a full-body transplant, you have to radius the grip tangs in order to put a beavertail on a Series 70, and filing/grinding that heavyweight material is going to be nasty :(

You can get a real-steel dropin CMC grip safety for Series 70, but chances are it won't fit perfectly, besides the tang+beavertail safeties are quite... ugly :P

Without a beavertail with the recess cut in the upswept bit, I wouldn't get a commander hammer, because you probably won't be able to cock it! See how the shape of the hammer spur follows the shape of the grip safety now, and how a commander lies in a "cradle"-ish cutout in a beavertail?

Anyway, what is this, SCW1? You can always replace it entirely, I mean, all you really need from WA is the magazine and small parts (mag catch, plungers, slide stop, sear spring, blowback etc.).

M.

• Replies 7.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hi marcus~

My sw1911

I kinda gave up on the kimber idea, can you give me any suggestions on what to do with my SW1911? I really wanna try something. I doubt il get the kimber set with rail soon. I was thinkin of gettin a set, but since it costs alot of money im not sure, u think a metal frame adds to the realistic effect? or should i just get a slide? And i wanna make it look dam secksy, like i bit of color here in there,white grips maybe =] or something like that. Got any ideas? thanks dood

-ham-

Thanks for the tips!

I'm thinking of keeping the stock trigger since I really like its incredibly short pull, though I honestly have no idea what the triggers are that you mentioned ;) I do however like the curved MSH, and I've already got a flat one on my SW1911 so I think I'll keep that too. My plan was to keep the grip safety as it is so none of this crazy tang modifying techniques should be required.

However, I'm not a big fan of the stock hammer, but I'm not sure what kind of options I have if I'm not going to change out the grip safety. I was thinking of getting an ambidextrous frame safety however. The gun is indeed an SCW1, though replacing the frame is definitely not something I am a fan of. I'm more or less trying to determine how difficult it would be to attach a Bo-Mar sight to a Springfield Armory MEU slide - how different are the cuts?

Howdy Zen,

I suggest sticking a narrow ambi tac trigger (or single-sided narrow), swapping out the trigger and replacing the MSH with a flat one, maybe a magwell-flat like on the FBI Trial.

Unless you want to do a full-body transplant, you have to radius the grip tangs in order to put a beavertail on a Series 70, and filing/grinding that heavyweight material is going to be nasty :(

You can get a real-steel dropin CMC grip safety for Series 70, but chances are it won't fit perfectly, besides the tang+beavertail safeties are quite... ugly :P

Without a beavertail with the recess cut in the upswept bit, I wouldn't get a commander hammer, because you probably won't be able to cock it! See how the shape of the hammer spur follows the shape of the grip safety now, and how a commander lies in a "cradle"-ish cutout in a beavertail?

Anyway, what is this, SCW1? You can always replace it entirely, I mean, all you really need from WA is the magazine and small parts (mag catch, plungers, slide stop, sear spring, blowback etc.).

M.

However, I'm not a big fan of the stock hammer, but I'm not sure what kind of options I have if I'm not going to change out the grip safety.

I'm more or less trying to determine how difficult it would be to attach a Bo-Mar sight to a Springfield Armory MEU slide - how different are the cuts?

Righty, for the hammer you don't have many choices except differently finished spur hammers. The STI-style quasi-spur *might* work, but imo that'd look kind of weird:

hammers.jpg

The STI spur is hammer C in the pic above, courtsey of Sanko.

I wasn't suggesting you change the trigger group, just maybe the trigger, if you want to. You could even keep the bow if it's very magical, and just mount a different trigger onto it :)

As far as slides go, it would probably be a lot easier to modify an old Magna slide marked however you like, but already cut for a Bo-mar, to take the SCW chamber, than to sight-cut an SCW-slide.

The SCW sight cut (universal between the Expert and the Meprolight, for example) is deeper than a Bo-mar at its deepest point, so you'd have to buffer up with JB Weld or something similar, so there's some work right there.

The other thing you could do is get an uncut Sheriff slide and have it cut yourself, but since that'd be a Magna, too (there are no uncut SCW runs from Sheriff), it doesn't seem like a better choice.

M.

Marcus wouldn't a Commander Ring Hammer fit, as the Combat Commander has an ordinary grip safety?

According to him, it's a GM MkIV series 70, and that doesn't have a beavertail, it has a regular (which I guess is ordinary?) grip safety.

M.

Exactly, so wouldn't a commander hammer fit?

I may be buying a second hand Wilson Tactical Supergrade, where would be the best place to go for metal frame and slide? Its the two tone but I'm not to bothered about it staying thatway.

I'd really like a commander ring hammer since I think they're the bees knees, but these two Commanders look like they have slightly modified grip safeties as opposed to standard.

Premium: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...t_WA%20Handguns

Looks like the grip safety has something of a notch in it to allow the larger hammer.

Regular: http://www.wgcshop.com/pcart/shopper.php?i...t_WA%20Handguns

And this one appears to have an exceedingly short grip safety which would also not get in the way.

The top grip safety might not require the tangs to be modified to work, but I'm not sure where I'd go about getting it.

A real Bo-Mar would be quite expensive, and unfortunately I'm not sure where I'd go about getting a WA one anyhow. That combined with the extensive work you've mentioned above are pushing me away. Browsing around I found this sight: http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=727908

Says its cut for a regular Dovetail but I'm not 100% sure what that translates to in airsoft. I know that airsoft guns have at least two different sight cuts for Novak style sights but I'm not sure if either of them qualify as the regular dovetail. I'd love to hear back from you on that Marcus.

As for the trigger, in my brief browsings of the cheaper real steel offerings, I didn't see any black or silver triggers that were quite as short as the stock trigger, and also as plain (I'm keeping fancy looking things on the S&W 1911). For that gun, I'm going to pick up a ultra-light trigger made by Nowlin. http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/...leitemid=623353

As for Magna slides, they seem to be getting kind of scarce nowadays, and I'm not aware of any slides that carry both Springfield Armory trades and Bo-Mar sight cuts, since I got into WAs just around the time of the introduction of the SCW system and so don't know much about the plethora of slides available before then.

Just so I'm not clogging up the thread with my inane questions, here is a picture of the WA Colt MkIV Series 70 SCW1 as it is:

ColtMkIV.jpg

Here is it and my SW1911, with metal slide recently installed:

1911s.jpg

Edited by ZenMastaT

Hey guys, hope you don't mind me asking in a picture thread. Is there a kimber slide available for the kjw/WA para, or one that would fit? I've been seriously considering getting the KJW for a while and just wondered if it was possible, I'll probably sand down the trigger and hammer, unless there are replacements for them? are there chrome replacements do you know?

Thanks guys.

The KJW/WA Para is a Magna copy of the old PO I believe, which means you'd simply need to find an old magna slide with the same sights so it would fit the blowback chamber. Magna slides are becoming a bit scarce though.

As for after market hammers and triggers, they can be quite expensive for what they are, so you might be better doing the work yourself.

Right now Western Arms is the only maker of a GBB Colt M1911A1 I believe, and boy is it a good one. You're in luck too since they just released that model with a new SCW2 firing pin system, so its up-to-date mechanically as well.

Here is my old one:

M1911A1.jpg