Time to buy ACOG for the SA80

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

acog ######, wtf are we doing?

The l85a5 and 86a2 are amazing rifles, after HK got thier grubby mits on them... I wouldnt use anything else (and i do use real steels btw)

and the susat is probably one of the best combat optical sights available imo, i love it, good eye relief. and sturdy.

wouldnt like anything else on my L86...

Can people please stop using the Star SUSAT as an example.

I'm with Bo0m3r, the a2 series are a god send, stop bad mouthing them. Most of you have never ever shot them. Also the real SUSAT doesn't have eye relief problems. Also I promise a squaddie will destroy an ACOG in under an hour.

But the SUSAT is far from the best sight. Especially with the ACOG as a comparison. It's not the optics that are bad, but that it has a terrible field of view. Personally, I would take the ACOG any day over the SUSAT. MY airsoft one actually has one. I sold the SUSAT the day after I received it.

Is that based upon the Star SUSAT? Which is reknowned to have terrible eye relief, which the real one certainly doesn't.

Graham

I personally can't see it happening, not yet anyway.

The SUSAT is one of the best optics on an assult rifle, why change it?

And just thinking about it the ACOG most likely costs twice as much (though i dont know) and the MoD aren't into fancy pants stuff. Then again they have been getting with the times of late.

Also stop slagging the A2 if you have not handled, stripped, used, fired the damn thing how can you comment?

EDIT: its true its been in trials....i never knew

Looks like its true :(

060321_FIST2_Soldier_w225.JPG

Image taken from MOD website

The sa80 dosnt look too bad with the ACOG to be honest, but I still prefer the SUSAT. Its part of the 'soldier system modernisation section', under the name of 'future integrated soldier technology' or 'FIST' for short

Can people please stop using the Star SUSAT as an example.

I'm with Bo0m3r, the a2 series are a god send, stop bad mouthing them.  Most of you have never ever shot them.  Also the real SUSAT doesn't have eye relief problems.  Also I promise a squaddie will destroy an ACOG in under an hour.

i bloody agree... the susat is a great sight. and having used a real steel acog in the states, i flippin hate them. and i could destroy it doing the things i do to the susat.... i guaruntee acogs dont like being dropped...

plus, the field of view is not bad...

i wish people who havent touched the scope would stope commenting with frankly wrong points... the field of view is almost identical to the acog... while fromt he FIST pic, it doesnt look bad, but isnt the 80 getting a tad raped there? (and this comes from someone who has a spare A2 handguard with RIS rails on he plans to switch for his normal one for fibua. RIS mounted accessories ftw :D)

The susat is popular with the troops, its a good sight, and can technologically keep up with todays battlefield.

rant over *goes back to hide in his corner*

I'd guess that as the tritium runs out on the current SUSATs, and they need to replace them anyway, the ACOG comes in cheaper. Tritium has a half-life of something like 15 years so it'd make sense.

The Tritium isn't going to run out... half life means time taken to halve therefore 50% still remains after 15 years and 25% remains after 30 years, as such i can't see the move being a result of the radioactive material.

i might be wrong but i don't think so, other than that i can't see why any move should annoy airsofters - the M.O.D. isn't so rash as to spend £200million on an optical sight that's not as good......

• 8 months later...
Is that based upon the Star SUSAT? Which is reknowned to have terrible eye relief, which the real one certainly doesn't.

Graham

I don't have any problems using the Star SUSAT, my friend and I both have Star L-85's, (I have the AFV which I bought because it comes with a sight and I like the "stubby" appearance, my mate got the standard L-85 A2 and a SUSAT as he's used the real thing in Bosnia and Iraq.) When they arrived the first thing he did was check out the SUSAT and proclaimed himself well happy with it. Me, I've never used a real steel ACOG or SUSAT so I wouldn't be able to compare them but then most people on this site probably haven't used real steel sights either. I use a Guarder ACOG on my CA249 and find both sights to be very user friendly if they're set up correctly. I did look into getting a real steel ACOG but they are way too expensive. In my opinion the Star L-85 and SUSAT are fantastic, having said that, mine did strip its gears after 5-600 rounds, I'm going to replace them with Systema gears, put in some Guarder bushes and find out how great this A.E.G is.

ACOGs are cack.

That is all. Carry on.

Did you just quote the MoD internal memo there? I believe it was followed by a pricing estimate, counter-signed by a 'Mr A Blair'.

EDIT: Rt. Hon. A Blair? I've never written the *beep* a letter.

I suspect what really caused all this was somebody at Trijicon sent a crate of ACOGs to the MOD and gave a couple of suits a nice holiday in the USA.

Given that, at some point in the next ten years, the MOD is likely to bin the '80 and (most likely) replace it with the G36, is it likely that, in the mean-time, they're going to buy a shed-load of scopes which will cost about the same as a G36?

In order to save 130 grammes I'd suggest taking a dump before heading out. ;)

The Tritium isn't going to run out... half life means time taken to halve therefore 50% still remains after 15 years and 25% remains after 30 years, as such i can't see the move being a result of the radioactive material.

i might be wrong but i don't think so, other than that i can't see why any move should annoy airsofters - the M.O.D. isn't so rash as to spend £200million on an optical sight that's not as good......

It's 12 years actually.. and 50% less power is quite a lot..

I have a scope from the late 80s with tritium lit reticle.. it's not really that visible anymore..

Offcourse.. tritium can be replaced I presume, so I'm with you on thinking that can't be a problem.

Replacing Tritium is difficult and costly.

Tritium is applied in a protected environment because of the radioactivity... Not that it is going to harm anyone in everyday use, but at the factory there are higher potentially dangerous levels of radio activity.

And then it has to be shipped to the factory, disassembled, replaced, assembled, and shipped back to the customer...

Could be that it is not worth the effort....

Archived