Sting: Retailers Selling Illegal BB Guns To Minors

hivemind

http://cbs4boston.com/topstories/local_story_131130720.html

Sting: Retailers Selling Illegal BB Guns To Minors

Dan Rea

Reporting

(CBS4) BOSTON A sting operation by the Attorney General's office found six Internet retailers and one local store owner illegally sold "look-alike" air rifles and BB guns to minors.

"These are not toys, these are very dangerous, dangerous weapons," Reilly said in a morning press conference at the Marlboro Police Department.

The guns, commonly called "airsoft" guns, are high powered, often semi- or fully automatic, and fire plastic or metal pellets that can cause serious harm.

They pose an additional safety risk because they are designed to look and feel exactly like real guns. Many air rifles and BB guns bear brand names, model numbers and logos.

"Distribution and sales to minors, under these circumstances over the internet, is illegal under Massachusetts state law," said Reilly.

Over the past year, a 16-year-old boy was easily able to purchase these guns online from two large national sporting goods retailers -- ######'s Sporting Goods, Inc. and The Sports Authority, Inc.-- using gift cards purchased from local stores.

The teen also purchased guns from three other out-of-state online retailers: Airsoft Atlanta, Inc., of Norcross, Georgia, Jungle Toy, LLC of Chino, California, and Tactical Innovations, LLC of Milford, Ohio. The boy also purchased a gun in person at the Xtreme Action Paintball store in Norwood.

Reilly has informed the companies that he intends to sue them to permanently stop the sale of the guns to minors in Massachusetts and to pay penalties.

The Attorney General told CBS4's Dan Rea, he wants to go one step further, "Should there be a national policy that prevents the distribution of these weapons over the internet? Yes there should be."

(© MMVI, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep. Thats why so many US stores ask you to fill out a waiver. however, that waiver is often about as "legal" as a click box saying "Yes I am 18 years or older, take me to the pictures of naked ladies."

A good lawyer would tear it apart in a few seconds.

Oh, and the word filter is there for a reason. No need to circumnavigate it. There's actually a bit in the rules and guidelines about it too, so stop it, thanks. Gives people bad ideas.

The Attorney General told CBS4's Dan Rea, he wants to go one step further, "Should there be a national policy that prevents the distribution of these weapons over the internet? Yes there should be."

think hes looking for a little more than just preventon of sales to minors over the net by sound of it hes looking for personal face to face sales only.

If its an offence to sell to minors over the net then surely that should cut both ways - with any kid found having done so (and making false declarations about their age) being subject to prosecution

a big - 'if you are under 18 you are not allowed to purchase these items and if you are found doing so by lying about your age the govt will send a big bad man round your house and take you away to a dark scary place where your mommy and daddy cant visit you. while there you will unblock toilets with your bare hands and live on a diet of rats intestines untill your 18th birthday' ought to do the trick..

stevie

The guns, commonly called "airsoft" guns, are high powered, often semi- or fully automatic, and fire plastic or metal pellets that can cause serious harm.

what is so dangerous about airsoft? car and cigaratte can be more dangerous, and I don't see people bitching about that, and at least airsoft gun has safety switch.

I live not too far away from Boston (okay quite far, but I'm on the same continent), The word being edited out is simply the harmless name of a sporting goods store. ######'s sporting goods. It does not refer to the male sexual organ, it refers to a name, and thus in this instance should not be edited. Tone the nazi-ism down just a tad. I'm a mod on several airsoft forums, and we encounter this stuff often.

Anyway, these major stores, and places like AA and Jungle Toy sell springer ######. Half the replicas used in crimes are springers. If they outlawed *suitcasey*, inexpensive, spring powered replicas, we'd be fine.

"These are not toys, these are very dangerous, dangerous weapons," Reilly said in a morning press conference at the Marlboro Police Department.

God I love american media for doing their best to tell the 100% truth. Its quite apparent that Airsoft is more dangerous then paintball, or a real bb gun. Its also quite true that the Bush administration doesnt lie to us!

I've always been an advocate of "The US Media Ruined the US, Not Bush" and this only reinforces that statement. The Media takes something completely harmless and pushes to ban it for votes. Sadly, our British counterparts are already experiencing this wave of utter bull *@#$. The mere statment of "These are not toys, these are very dangerous, dangerous weapons," is beyond infuriating. If I lived anywhere near that state I'd go give this man a serious what for that he deserves to prove that the only harm these guns pose under stock and slightly upgraded conditions is that to the Eyes and mouth and the rest is bullocks. A paintball gun has a higher chance of killing someone or causing serious harm then an airsoft gun.

Someone should start the "If your gonna ban us, ban Paintball too!' campaign!

Metal bb's... psshhh thats a BB gun, 6mm Aluminum bb's are shatty and you'd be hard pressed to get them outa the end of an AEG barrel with enough velocity to go beyond 20 feet. Causing serious harm, please, the sun causes serious harm as is evident with the high incidence of skin cancer, but no one is thinking about sueing go or the sun for being in existence.

For the sake of goodness, American Media, pull your heads outa ur *albartroth* and quit publishing utter bullocks.

Anyway, these major stores, and places like AA and Jungle Toy sell springer ######.  Half the replicas used in crimes are springers.  If they outlawed *suitcasey*, inexpensive, spring powered replicas, we'd be fine.

Why didn't that get censored but the name of the store did?

I know, I live 20 minutes from Boston, myself ;)

its just that everytime someone goes round the word filter for perfectly innocent things, it ends up with numpties thinking this means they can start swearing like a trooper on here by just changing one letter out of a swearword, something we don't really want to have to keep dealing with.

Why didn't that get censored but the name of the store did?

Because the word used didnt get recognized as a bad word.

Anyone up for emailing CBS and asking to have the article removed and/or having them publish an article that includes a more Realistic view of what airsoft is, and not the potty watter that came outa the Sheriffs mouth? We should email the sheriff too and explain that these guns pose less of a threat to a persons life then a scrape on the knee.

<Fuming> *Steps off soap box*

EDIT: CBS News apprently takes Idea's for articles... email adress is newstips@cbs4boston.com

Follow-up:

http://www.ago.state.ma.us/sp.cfm?pageid=986&id=1667

AG REILLY DEMANDS RETAILERS STOP ILLEGAL SALE OF "LOOK-ALIKE" AIR RIFLES AND BB GUNS TO MINORS

AG Reilly, Police Chiefs reveal results of undercover sweep, discuss dangers

May 11, 2006

(617) 727-2543

BOSTON -- Attorney General Tom Reilly today demanded that six Internet retailers and one Massachusetts store owner stop selling "look-alike" air rifles and BB guns to minors. AG Reilly issued the demand letters, which also inform the companies of his intent to sue, following an undercover investigation where a 16-year-old boy successfully purchased several of these weapons in violation of Massachusetts law.

"These 'look-alike' weapons are dangerous, and should not be in the hands of children," AG Reilly said.  "Local police departments use air rifles and BB guns in training exercises because they are so much like the real thing.  But now police are finding these guns are used to commit crimes, and kids are bringing them to school.  It's not safe.  Retailers have got to stop selling these weapons to children."

The guns, commonly referred to as "airsoft" guns, are high powered, often semi- or fully automatic, and fire plastic or metal pellets that can inflict serious injuries.  They pose an additional safety risk because they are designed to look and feel exactly like real guns. Many air rifles and BB guns bear brand names, model numbers and logos. Massachusetts law prohibits the sale of an air rifle or BB gun to a minor under 18 years old.

AG Reilly conducted an undercover sting operation over the past year in response to growing concerns about the misuse of air rifles and BB guns. AG Reilly enlisted the help of a 16-year-old boy who was easily able to purchase these guns online from two large national sporting goods retailers -- ######'s Sporting Goods, Inc. and The Sports Authority, Inc. -- using gift cards purchased from local stores.  Using money orders, the teen  also purchased guns from three other out-of-state online retailers: Airsoft Atlanta, Inc., of Norcross, Georgia, Jungle Toy, LLC of Chino, California, and Tactical Innovations, LLC of Milford, Ohio.  The boy also purchased a gun in person at the Xtreme Action Paintball store in Norwood.

AG Reilly has also notified GSI Commerce, Inc., of King of Prussia, Pennsylvania, which operates the website for ######'s and Sports Authority, that they are in violation of Massachusetts Law for selling air rifles and stun guns to minors.

AG Reilly has informed the retailers that he intends to sue them to permanently stop the sale of air rifles and BB guns to minors in Massachusetts and to pay penalties.

Incidents involving these "look alike" guns are on the rise both locally and nationally. The Center for Disease Control reports that the guns caused an estimated 20,000 injuries in 2003. Local police are also seeing a serious problem in schools and neighborhoods, where these guns are used to commit crimes and may be confused by law enforcement as a real weapon.

"We have seen a significant rise in crimes committed using air guns during the past six months," Marlborough Police Chief Mark Leonard said. "They are easily accessible to people intent on committing those crimes, and are getting into the hands of minors with increased frequency.  'Replica' air guns bear a very strong resemblance to their 'real' counterparts, and there is no way to distinguish a real firearm from an air gun without close inspection."

Chief Leonard added, "This presents some very real concerns for law enforcement, and is what makes them an attractive criminal tool."

Lowell Police Superintendent Ed Davis estimates that his police officers confiscate two or three BB guns each week. On Monday, a Lowell middle school student used a "look alike" gun to shoot another student in the head. The victim suffered only a minor injury.

"I urge companies that sell these weapons to adhere to strict guidelines on their online sales and in stores," Superintendent Davis said. "Parents also need to pay close attention to the danger posed by these weapons, and ensure that they are not being placed in the hands of their children."

These cases are part of an overall initiative by AG Reilly to target the sale of illegal or age-prohibited products in Massachusetts such as firearms, ammunition, alcohol, cigarettes, and fireworks.  AG Reilly's Office has also become a respected resource on the ever-evolving world of the Internet, particularly as it relates to child safety. Since taking office, AG Reilly has devoted unprecedented resources to protecting Internet users and has dedicated staff specifically to education and training efforts.

Anyone with questions about whether certain weapons are restricted by Massachusetts law should check with their local police department.

Assistant Attorneys General David Monahan and Scott Schafer of AG Reilly's Consumer Protection and Antitrust Division are handling this case, with assistance from Investigators Dante Annicelli and Jake Harney of the Investigations Division.

I live not too far away from Boston (okay quite far, but I'm on the same continent), The word being edited out is simply the harmless name of a sporting goods store.  ######'s sporting goods.  It does not refer to the male sexual organ, it refers to a name, and thus in this instance should not be edited. Tone the nazi-ism down just a tad.  I'm a mod on several airsoft forums, and we encounter this stuff often. 

Anyway, these major stores, and places like AA and Jungle Toy sell springer ######.  Half the replicas used in crimes are springers.  If they outlawed ######, inexpensive, spring powered replicas, we'd be fine.

I agree with everything in this post. I think there should be the $40 Ban: No guns under $40 are allowed to be sold!

Anyway, ######'s Sporting Goods is a store, get over it ;)

Just sent an email to them. :)

What all did you say? I'm interested to see what you said and what the response will be. I'm from out of state and really have no business in other states stuff but this is just driving me nuts! 20,000 injuries to RIF's is like saying that every second is like saying 50 people die each second... its the same argument for FPS w/out weight is a worthless measurment... same kinda thing. Actuall injuries due to airsoft guns, probably only 10-50 if that. most of those are due to BB guns or Pellet guns that shoot metal bb's or pellets, not airsoft.

I said either remove your airsoft article or get yout facts straight.First of all Airsoft guns don't shoot metal 6mm bbs only air rifles.If airsoft guns shot 6mm metal bbs they would only go 5ft.Also those airsoft guns in those pictures are sold for less than 60.00 and can only shoot 180fps.How is that a dangerous toy.Sure its dangerous but not that dangerous and most retailers require you to sign and fax a waiver sheet.

i believe springers shoot around anywhere from 180 fps to 230 fps with a .12 gram bb which is made of plastic, while an air rifle shoots anywhere between 500 fps to 1000 fps with a 8.7 gram lead pointed pellet, biiiiiiig difference

I've boughten alot of guns online without question of age/parents concent (YET, all time i DID infact have parental concent, every gun i buy includes parental concent, because if it didn't MY a** would be grass with my parents).

So its not uncommon online.

Yeah, Airsoft Atlanta updated their homepage w/

No sales to anyone under 21!!!!!!!11!!1111!!oneone

This agrivates me dearly, i was going to buy a Hurricane Upgrade kit for a future purchase... guess that'll either have to be 3 years from now or not from them! I'm disgusted that Airsoft Atlanta would even give in to such bullocks threats from the AGO of MA, Its not their fault that the kid had the guns. People lie about their age all the time why does Airsoft Atlanta have to take the full force of the AGO of MA?

Archived