Gear for an IRA impression

Crandall

I've been looking on google for information for what gear the IRA uses. I've found nothing so far besides my avatar picture (heavier OD jacket, face covering thing, beret, G3A3) .

That wouldn't be too practical in the summer though. So basically I'm looking for what gear they use, and what guns they use. Any and all help is appreciated :)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't trash this guy, I don't see people attacking each other for trying out middle-eastern terrorist outfits, this seems no different. As far as I'm concerned the situation in Ulster is a direct result of the Republicans and Unionists (never liked the term loyalists) having the same bigoted gang mentality. Its really no different than the gangs you get in the US or any other country. They just dress up in the guise of political/social activists in a lame attempt to get themselves some form of credibility.

Rant over

and the award for most insensitve question of the week goes to Crandall

how would you feel if someone asked how to impersonate the taliban/Al Qaeda on a US based forum? its pretty much the same thing as asking how to impersonate the IRA on an english forum

I hate how people make it that you can't immitate an opposing force. So you would all rather play Brits vs Brits in a make-do civil war in which there are no 'bad guys'? This is like those people that simply can't admit the Germans had a formidable army during WW2. Grow up & get over it.

As for an IRA impression, just do a google search on 'IRA Forces'. Having received a lot of media coverage, you can get a good idea of what to go for.

Kudos to you for trying a new impression.

Would you go on a New York airsoft forum and ask how to dress like an Al Qaeda or 911 terrorist?

Airsoft is illegal in New York. Try again :)

//edit

I'll humour your stupid question and say yes. The 9/11 terrorists wore very average and plain clothing - jeans, tshirts and sweaters. You don't happen to wear any of those do you?! You damn terrorist you...

then if you want to know how to impersonate a terrorist/rebel then ask that not how do i impersonate a group of people who have lead a 30 year terrorist campain against the english and northen irish.

I've been looking on google for information for what gear the IRA uses. I've found nothing so far besides my avatar picture (heavier OD jacket, face covering thing, beret, G3A3) .

That wouldn't be too practical in the summer though. So basically I'm looking for what gear they use, and what guns they use. Any and all help is appreciated :)

Guessing you've never been to Ireland. Summer only really happens a few days a year, it's either damp, wet or soaking.

Airsoft is illegal in New York. Try again :)

//edit

I'll humour your stupid question and say yes. The 9/11 terrorists wore very average and plain clothing - jeans, tshirts and sweaters. You don't happen to wear any of those do you?! You damn terrorist you...

Airsoft is illegal in New York City, not New York state.

I hate how people make it that you can't immitate an opposing force. So you would all rather play Brits vs Brits in a make-do civil war in which there are no 'bad guys'? This is like those people that simply can't admit the Germans had a formidable army during WW2. Grow up & get over it.

Do you really have to look that hard to maybe understand why some people might be offended by stuff like this? Look at things in perspective: you are playing dress up at the expense of someone likely becoming very upset. You are basically trivializing the suffering of a lot of people. It might be appropriate under certain circumstances/venues, but does a British forum really seem like such a case?

There nothing insenseative about it as hes only wanting to copy them in the sense of looks than actions.

And as for a UK forum its not gonna be much help asking in a US forum now is it seeing as they wont know almost NOUT about it.

Its not like you want to kick the ###### out of every person who dresses up as a german soldier in a Military event over here. I even got speaking to one of them who was US SF serving was quite a shock.

Look at it this way not everyone wants to be the good guy and there always needs to be someone who gets their asses kicked ;)

and the award for most insensitve question of the week goes to Crandall

how would you feel if someone asked how to impersonate the taliban/Al Qaeda on a US based forum? its pretty much the same thing as asking how to impersonate the IRA on an english forum

Errr... There are people who dress to be terrorist.

Hence rebel/terrorist pic thread.

The way I look at it someone has to play the bad guy.

Errr... There are people who dress to be terrorist.

Hence rebel/terrorist pic thread.

The way I look at it someone has to play the bad guy.

Not only that, but terrorists, rebels, and 'freedom fighters' are human beings, too. Some of them honestly believe that they are fighting for the freedom of their nation or their people and, in many cases, this is true ("From a certain point of view,").

There are a lot of people who use these organizations to justify their own bloodlust and anti-social behaviors. But these same people also join the British Army and Royal Marines, the United States Army and Marine Corps, and the German Bundeswehr. A lot of people join these organizations out of a genuine wish to do good.

The PLO fought (and Hamas and similar fight) for a sovereign Palestinian state. Chechan rebels fight for a sovereign Chechnan state. The IRA fought for a united Ireland. The Waffen SS believed they were fighting for a communist-free Europe. Local-bred Iraqi insurgents fight to free their nation from an occupying army. Foreign-bred Iraqi insurgents fight to save the Middle-East from crusading Westerners.

Of course, bringing up the topic of any of these in the nations most affected by them (Israel, Russia, UK, any synogogue, US) is likely to lead to people becoming offended. People who have forgotten that the people they hate so much are, in point of fact, human beings. It's just so much easier to classify a whole group of people, an enemy, people who do not share your vision of world peace, and seek to suplant it with their own, as being monsters. Objects. Cardboard caricatures.

Personally, it would be great if wars were more like airsoft: at the end, all the dead on both sides rise again and go to have drinks at the pub with their bitter enemies, who are also their best friends.

Of course, there's always the milsim angle: The best guys in the regular Army, Air Force, and Navy all get to play dress-up as OpFor and kick the arses of BluFor for a few days. :D

EDIT: For an IRA load out, I'd take a black or grey plain hoodie, camo trousers (DPM or Urban or whatever), an AKM or AK-74 (or nearly any WWII-era weapon), a balaclava, and some basic load-bearing gear in OD. That should cover Fall and Spring. For Summer, I'd go for a dark, long sleeve T-shirt, but otherwise identical to the hoodie load-out. Gloves should be fingerless and short-cuffed, wool or leather (perhaps USA/N/MC fingerless wool gloves?), balaclava should be SAS/Russian pattern (three-hole).

Can you say "We know where you live" with an Irish drawl? And "*fruitcage*" is always useful. :P Also the correct side arm would be a Black & Decker drill.

Not only that, but terrorists, rebels, and 'freedom fighters' are human beings, too. Some of them honestly believe that they are fighting for the freedom of their nation or their people and, in many cases, this is true ("From a certain point of view,").

Fock'em.

"Ireland for the Irish", etc.

Which IRA are you wanting to copy? There's quite a few to pick from :P Some classic promotional material might help:

http://cain.ulst.ac.uk/images/posters/ira/

pm4_t2.jpg

You could always go for a Michael Collins loadout, though I'm not sure how useful a pushbike would be in a skirmish. +1 for wearing tweed though.

Archived