Gear for an IRA impression

Crandall

The "i'm on telly/here to intimidate/at a funeral" look has already been covered.

For ultra realism, ie, ASUs you need civvies, nothing military in the slightest.

You can skirmish in jeans and pretty much any crappy, cheap, matalan clothes you like, just avoid anything green/od.

Weaponry is anything you like but just be sure to hand it straight to a suitable child (from 6 to 14 should be ok) if you are spotted by opposing forces.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now days, I guess it'd be a suit and a seat on the Northern Ireland Assembly ;)

But I digress, you're looking at jeans, t-shirt and a jacket. Maybe a tracksuit. Just look hard :P

Weapons-wise, you've got a whole range of choice.

This document might help you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provisional_I...rms_importation

I'd go for something like an M16A1 or an uzi. If you pack a sidearm, make it something unflashy. Just remember, no RIS rails or attachments.

:mellow:

Anyhoo, is anyone here actually taking offense? Cos I'd guess that a US loadout wouldn't be appreciated by Iraqis. As a wise man once said, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Anyhoo, none of this is helping young Crandall, so maybe a discussion on the merits and drawbacks of dressing as "the bad guys" could be taken elsewhere?

:zorro:

I give this thread 15 minutes before Special Branch kicks the door in and hit us all on the head with a padlock.

"That wouldn't be too practical in the summer though."

A British or Irish summer? I'd suggest some kind of kagoul, and maybe some wellies. It's a bit rich to say you want to dress like PIRA, and then complain that's it too hot to wear this stuff in Pizmo Beach (or wherever the hell you live). Perhaps an Eta loadout might be more suitable? Or Balinese separatists?

leather bomber jacket or old west german nato parka, tank top, shirt with giant wings of a dove collar and a pair of flares for that 70s look :)

late 60s early 70s old wwII style weapons and british stuff raided in the 50s wouldnt be out of place as the officials were largely caught on the hop and it took the provos a couple of years to get up to speed with smuggling fresh stuff in from abroad, by late 70s AR and FN rifles Handguns and smgs would be predominatly modern(ish) american by that stage.

Mid 80s AKs would be the norm having been brought in in numbers that outweighed everything else by that stage. as much as possible your trying to blend into a rural/urban environment - camoflage isnt a lot of good whereas wearing what the locals of your age do or workwear like a boiler suit is. If you look like a terroist you've got it wrong.

Oh and if travelling to the site by car make sure its a four door if theres more than two of you in it or an old transit van, and make sure theres a team member posing as a marshal nearby to spirit your guns away whenever you do take a hit (makes for better propoganda) :)

hmm, i was thinking perhaps a little too soon, but there are kids wearing combats in NI now so its all good.

i'd say black boots, jeans, DPM smock and a balaclava of some kind.

use chest rigs and you can happily mix and match AK's and M16's.

pete

Im from northern ireland and i really dont care if somone would want to copy the IRA in LOOKS.

Just dont come here for a skirmish and tell people what your loadout is based on lol.

As has been said many times before, jeans, t-shirt/(maybe a celtic football top to go over the top)/leather jacket/very old DPM, balaclava and an ak47 is your safest bet.

to add to the debate old style armalites such as m16a1, vn etc were used during the 70's alot, which worried alot of the serving forces there.

yes i imagine it would worry them that the terrorists were useing weapons made (and partialy paid for) by a country simpathetic in principle to there fight against british imperialism, since that country had done it with rather more sucsess 200 years previously.

Guessing you've never been to Ireland. Summer only really happens a few days a year, it's either damp, wet or soaking.

Thats why it's so bloody green over there. I don't think I ever remember seeing a clear blue sky. I always remember it being grey and cloudy. And that was IN summer.

Al Murray/Pub Landlord:

"I'd like to thank America for it's help in the war on terror, because if you hadn't funded the IRA for 30 years, we wouldn't know how to deal with terrorists would we. You've played the long game on that one. Good thinking."

I can't BELIEVE no one has quoted "the armalite and the ballot box" startegy!!!!!!

it's THE saying to epitomise the IRA and their support!

anyway the Brit's seem to have an inherit ability to shrug off their problems, i'm sure most people would happily give you details on the IRA if they knew any, it's like a matter of National pride, having withstood it all so don't get too fret up about the idea, he's only immitating the opposition

The only qualm i would have with the idea is the methods the IRA employed - although insurgenices are obviously a bad thing in Iraq and play an underhand war, some of the tactics used in N.I. are despicable, to have your knee cap blown off is no pleasant experience

That would be the only qualm i would have,

My recommendations would be an early armalite, M16 variants ie A1/A2 or just a bog standard AK (with para stock preferably)

Browning Hi power for the side arm seems appropriate or a 1911,

Clothing wise, black balaclava with eyes and mouth cut outs - a very stereotyped look

jeans and thick jacket, either as aforementioned a DPM smock or a duffel coat i'd say, personally

Anyways i should go revise some more...... :(

Cheers Rob

I can't BELIEVE no one has quoted "the armalite and the ballot box" startegy!!!!!!

hell of a humph round a skirmish site though... would you be bringing the booth to go with it or just the box on its own :)

could always go for the INLA load out (fall out with your team mates every five mins and shoot each other instead of the opposition)

For top IRA ideas, check out The Crying Game (as mentioned already), The Devil's Own ("Tam, Tam, oi need dat money, Tam!") and classic Jeff Bridges film Blown Away. Blown Away features 3 landmark pieces of cinema:

- a pint of Coke masquerading as a Guiness

- Tommy Lee Jones doing an Irish accent (presumably he copied it off the lucky Charms advert)

- Tommy Lee Jones singing along to U2.

You can't go far wrong there. There's no IRA in it, but it's ideal background material.

For top IRA ideas, check out The Crying Game (as mentioned already), The Devil's Own ("Tam, Tam, oi need dat money, Tam!") and classic Jeff Bridges film Blown Away. Blown Away features 3 landmark pieces of cinema:

- a pint of Coke masquerading as a Guiness

- Tommy Lee Jones doing an Irish accent (presumably he copied it off the lucky Charms advert)

- Tommy Lee Jones singing along to U2.

You can't go far wrong there. There's no IRA in it, but it's ideal background material.

There is a limit to how far he should take his Crying Game impression though.....

To Crandall:  The best of luck getting your loadout together.  I did a couple of tours in NI and I can honestly say it doesn't offend me in the slightest.  Airsoft is a game and to use the cowboys and indians analogy, someone's got to be the Apaches.

Thank you, as I've wanted to say, it's just a game, but perhaps I should go with a less.. controversial ( ? ) impression.

Thank you, as I've wanted to say, it's just a game, but perhaps I should go with a less.. controversial ( ? ) impression.

After all the time that has been taken by everyone giving you the most up todate advice & now you want to drop it?

I expect to see a pic of you at the next game full paid as a revolutionary. Failure to do so will result in a good going over with a pair of DM's.

"We know where you live". :assassin:

Archived