Star AG36 Launcher

nikoneko

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First person to mount one on an L85 gets a beer :)

there were two of us trying to do this a while back.

thats why i bought a home-made conversion aeg acx l85 and the other chap was modding his springer.

we got talking to a guy who said he could make up the foregrip used on the sa80ugl but it all turned out to be a scam of sorts.

the smokey's ag36 had come out, the other chap got it and tried it and the dimensions were all wrong - it looked like smokeys had made it by sight instead of measuring a real one. [iirc anyway..]

since the foregrip deal fell through we tried other ways. the other chap got a spare dragon arms G36 long foregrip and mounted it on his l85, and it just looked a bit wrong.

by that time we both gave up.

shortly after the airsoft club l85 became a reality, and then a time after that the academy l85 aeg production restarted..

the star project might give us some new impetus.. but a reasonably accurate-looking foregrip would still be a stumbling block..

I know, I've been going for a cam15a2 rifle for a while now, even more so since I recently acquired an M870 shotgun and have alway wanted to have an m16/m870 masterkey since I first saw predator :)

but now...those l85s are looking damn tempting... underslung grenade launcher and a shottie as back up...manly... :)

as you can see in the picture, the foregrip is quite a large part of what visually makes up the sa80ugl, not just adding the star ag36 [which is about 3 times the cost of the original aeg..]

this is what myself and others were trying to achieve ever since the first few photos of the sa80ugl started popping up.

just depends on how you'd do it i guess - certainly an opportunity for more space ..perhaps..

another stumbling block was the fragility of the plastic used on the acx l85 - i think it needs some kind of reinforcing within the body to be able to take the weight of whats being added to the front.

an old compilation of ugl pics

0buzzard_end3_hrcopy2.jpg

another stumbling block was the fragility of the plastic used on the acx l85 - i think it needs some kind of reinforcing within the body to be able to take the weight of whats being added to the front.

Indeed.

I'd be concerned about bolting that to the front of an Academy SA80 too.

Dunno if you've seen one in bits. It's got a sort of box-section reinforcer for the front part of the barrel. Even so, it still only attaches to the receiver with a couple of screws.

The gun, itself, is pretty solid but I wouldn't be keen on having that hanging off the front while I supported the gun only by the pistol grip.

:)

0_L85_aeg_and_springer.jpg

^ thats the custom jobby.

by 'acx' i usually mean academy [i'm pretty sure i do..]

the asc [airsoft club] would also need reinforcing, though it does feel stiffer and more solid than the acx, it still isnt as solid as.. it should be perhaps.

while smoeone did attach the dragon arms g36 long foregrip onto their l85 - it just didnt look right - either the dimensions are off on the academy, or they are on the g36 part, or the g36 is quite a bit deeper than the l85 and it just looked completely wrong.

Archived