Where did YOUR nick-name come from?

R22Master

Where did the R22 in my nick-name come from?  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Where did the R22 in my nick-name come from?

• R22 = The Remington .22 bullet
    • R22 = Airsoft Green Gas (also known as R22 or Chlorodifluoromethane)
    • R22 = The Robinson 22 Helicopter
    • R22 = The musical band
    • R22 = The speaker system made by 'Kicker' (US)

Well, so far, 9 of you have correctly guessed where the R22 in my username came from (26%). That makes it either something to do with Airsoft Green Gas, or the helicopter one. ;)

I'll tell you tomorrow...

...probably :D

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The two usernames I really want to find out about are those of "Stumpy Lubnut" and "Arnie"! Stumpy has already said he can't remember how his came about, so the only one left is Arn.

Come on Arnie - how did you get that moniker? ;)

My nickname?.. now that one goes years back now. Back to a time when I had hair (sniff) and was a lowly student. ;)

Well to cut a long story short, at one point I was wandering around my local site at the time with an upgraded G3 SG1 under each arm spraying ammo everywhere in a rather large and fun firefight.

...not exactly mil-sim, but very fun allt he same :) I remember one of the chaps there saying that All I needed now was an inflatable raft and an UZI 9 'mi-li-meter', and well it all started there.

Got bored one night, needed something to do to learn html and started this website (back in the days of the original blue airsoft.org, and when fragout.co.uk used to be around) the rest is pretty much history.

Oh.. and it's "The Robinson 22 Helicopter". ;)

hehehe.

Well, now we know. Cheers Arnie :)

And rats - you ruined my big secret! Yes folks, I did indeed get my username from the Robinson R22 Helicopter!

Basically, I am a helicopter pilot. I learned in the Robinson R22 helicopter (picture below), and I found at an early stage that I had a flare for flying. I managed to master hovering the beast after only 15 minutes of instructon using all three controls (collective, cyclic and yaw). My instructor said that he had never seen anyone master this in less than 10 hours of training, so I inhereted the nickname "R22Master". When he told all of the other instructors and staff about my flight, they didn't believe him. :D

r22-3.jpg

I'm now looking to take my flying career a couple of steps further, and become an instructor. So, anyone want cheap flying lessons? :rolleyes::lol: hehehehe.

Ahhh whirly birds.. what fun :) I still prefer flying things with wings myself, but that's just personal preference.

..anyone see BlueThunder last night? Retro classic.. still a fairly naff film but fun all the same. Useles fact, BlueThunder was a rebuild of a Gazelle helicopter, that engine note is unique in the aviation world..

And the bodge-job of the air-frame made it fairly simple to tell that it was a gazelle underneath.

I always find die-hard Blue-Thunder fans to be quite funny, as the question they always tend to get round to is "Which would win? Airwolf vs Blue Thunder?". IT'S AIRWOLF OF COURSE! Airwolf could knock Blue Thunder out of the sky from 20 miles away and disappear at Mach 3 before Blue Thunder even hit the deck!

Hmmm, sorry. I think I went a bit mad there - it's a bone of contention between myself and Sledge ;)

Anyway, I'd always prefer to be in a helicopter than a plane. If your engine dies in a plane, you have to find a runway FAST. If the same happens in a helicopter, you can glide to any bit of vaguely flat land and make a nice gentle landing. Not a lot of people know that ;)

Actually, Britain has some of the best flying weather. Most helicopters fly well when it's cold, and flying in our gusty/rainy/miserable weather is a fun challenge that builds your skills better than anywhere.

I have heard of a few chopper pilots who learn to fly in Florida, then come back and find they can only fly in fair weather over here! Some have even had bumps and scrapes during their first take off / landing. Not good.

That said, a few more beautiful days would be lovely so we can really enjoy the view. :)

Back in the "good ol´ days", when we still could do some shooting sports around my neighbourhood, I was close buying a Vektor SP1 9mm pistol for competetive club level practical shooting. Vektor´s a South African arms manufacturer, and I found the name exotic (written with the "k" in the middle) enough for a web nick.

I want an original late-60s Mustang. Nothing can beat those cars! :D

As for my nick...a random name generator for some online site made it and I stuck with it. Then I used it in more and more places, and mow I use it everywhere cos it's a pain to change!

Archived