Yay Windows!

HaVoC

This why I love my iBook...

I just had my PC lock up on me completely. Cue an 'end task' of Explorer, causing it to restart said process, but with no wallpaper (the icons are all there, just no wallpaper). Ok, nothing too unusual for a PC (for shame!), so I reboot.

Same problem.

I now get my background colour (a rather fetching dark grey), with my icons over it. Just no wallpaper.

Any ideas?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope, nothing appears setting it to my old wallpaper, or anything else (even the standard Windows ones).

Refresh does nothing, either (hey, worth a shot).

Running XP Home, by the way.

EDIT: See, I've missed the beginning of Dr. Who because of this hunk of sh*t.

There isn't much here, but it's a similar problem.

http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum...isappeared.html

Once again, don't know if this'll help you.

http://www.bullguard.com/forum/12/Cant-cha...r-sp_22825.html

This one seems more like your problem.

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Miscellane...Q_21055602.html

One More.

http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?f...essageID=487307

Sorry I can't be of more help, I've never had this happen before.

Got it to work in the most illogical way possible.

Went into Display Properties -> Desktop, then set the current wallpaper to 'None', then back to my wanted wallpaper, and it worked.

WTF?!

It'd be more logical if it didn't f*ck up at all, and just worked.

I've owned a Mac for over 6 months. I run CS2 on it, I play games on it, I download stuff on it, I browse the net on it (without a firewall or anti-virus, no less).

It's not crashed once.

how do people manage to do this with PC's? i've been using my PC for years (this current windows has been installed for 2 years, 2 months and 5 days) and it never crashes or locks up.

the last time i restarted? 2 weeks ago.

Whoops, just started iTunes. Press space to play and...oops, it has to close.

Start it again and it works.

It's a lucky dip, really. I'd just rather not have to play the f***ing game.

Chances are that it's crappy programs like iTunes that cause most of these problems.

Use decent software, same as above 2 years on Windows never had a single problem.

Crappy programs like Photoshop CS2 (yeah, I have it for both platforms)? Care to mention an alternative?

I've had my fair share of problems with it on the PC. Not so on the Mac.

I shouldn't have to select the programs that are most compatible with my PC, they should just work (wait for it, that's right...like on a Mac). I'm not using spyware-infested free downloads, I'm using iTunes, or WMP, or CS2, or Firefox.

how many processes is your computer running?

what are its specs (roughly)?

Right now it's running a lot, but when I want to do intensive work I trim that right down.

Specs - 3.2GHz P4 w/ HT, GeForce 6800GT, 1Gb RAM, 200GB HDD w/ 20Gb left. Plenty.

Chances are that it's crappy programs like iTunes that cause most of these problems.

Use decent software, same as above 2 years on Windows never had a single problem.

Never had a problem with iTunes. Ever. Usually it's crappy programs like Windows Media Player that crash. Or Realplayer *blech*.

Never had a problem with iTunes. Ever. Usually it's crappy programs like Windows Media Player that crash. Or Realplayer *blech*.

Hate realplayer

My parents computer has stopped working at peak efficiency countless times because my dad by mistake installed real player (even without admin privileges)

Archived