The Complete APS 2/96 Thread

The Chef

Ckinnerley, they ca be a bit fiddly to release. even my zero trigger bar refuses to budge sometimes. try putting a couple of shots downrange, that seems to do it for me, but i always pull the bar out before i remove the trigger assembly screws.

there is also a takedown guide around which helps a bit, if you need it, i will bung a link up :)

lajjvo, they are not spring loaded, they are held by friction. check all of the allen bolts are tight on your unit, and also check thta its secured to the receiver. the 2 mounting screws can work loose over time.

it sounds a bit funny really, it shouldnt be just falling out, and i would not use the rifle until you find out why its doing it. compressed springs and dodgy retaining bars could spell trouble. and pain. lots and lots of pain...

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm just making a shortened scout rifle--no ghillies or dragging in my future (my near future anyway). :D

Don't I still need the tri-rail to mount a standard bipod? I was hoping to find one that attaches using the post without any adapters, and this is my first experience with that sort of mount.

Speaking of NCStar, I'm currently using a 3-9x NCstar scope. Decent optic, but it's too tinted for my liking.

The only other thing on my L96 shopping list is a ball bearing spring guide; is the one in the $30 "upgrade kit" any good or should I splurge and get a Laylax? I could use the spring and piston in the gun I'm building from my leftovers.

You can use to mount if you'd like for it's quick-detach feature, but the bipod actually mounts to the stud under the rifle like any other Harris. Small modification is needed, the hole needs to be bored out as it's a tad too small, but it can easily be done with a pocket knife and 30 seconds.

As for the upgrade kit, I've got them installed in both my L96s and positively love them. They're cheap, and the piston offers full compression. The spring guide will be just as good as the Laylax one, unless you want the 9mm spring guide feature that the Laylax provides. The included spring is pretty nice as well, it gives about 600 FPS and really doesn't change the bolt-pull too drastically.

Thanks! I wasn't aware that you could use the stud to mount a bipod.

Well, aside from a ball-bearing spring guide my budget scout rifle is finished internally. Here's a photo with an AGM for length comparison:

16581805279.jpg

Accuracy: chopped outer with Vanaras threaded muzzle adapter, POM spacers, flat hop mod using a 300mm tightbore and HP chamber (both with enlarged windows), shaved bucking (unsure of the brand, it's lime green), and Firefly nub (red).

Power: AF 90° trigger, piston, cylinder, spring, and spring guide. Stock nozzle with reshaped and polished bevel.

I was slightly shocked when it only measured 1.6J with .20g with the short barrel, but heavier rounds allow more pressure to build up. Got 2.2J with .36g , and a steady 2.7J with .43g. I intend to used Madbull tan .40s.

I'm still researching that, and waiting for my .40g BBs.

It's also worth pointing out that using the same cylinder and spring between the 498mm stock barrel, a 320mm stock AEG barrel, and the 300mm tightbore, there was very little FPS drop when using .43g BBs (despite a drastic drop with .20s).

Has someone figured out the ideal ratio of cylinder volume to barrel volume, accounting for different BB weights?

• 2 months later...

Hey guys, I'm getting back into this fun sport again but I've found out my zero trigger doesn't grab my piston so it won't set the trigger. I've been deployed for over 14 months and it sat in my garage the whole time. Any thoughts? If I pull the assy off I can manually do the trigger but back in the stock it's not catching. Help please.

Nevermind, I had both washers at the bottom of my spring guide which stopped it from fully decompressing. Took one off and guess what??? It's working perfect!!!! Not all I gotta do is trim the mag well and she'll be a shooter for sure. It sure is quiet too.

Ok new problem, my bucking is too tight and stopping the bb's from going thru without force. Can you shave the hop up slowly? I don't remember which one it is but it's for a AEG because of my barrel is a db's tight bore made for the aeg bucking. I guess by the time anyone reads this I'll have it done. Either it'll be perfect or I screw it up. The bucking is red if that helps.

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been covered earlier, but I'm new to this neck of the woods.

I just got an Echo1 ASR, which I understand uses the L96 system (and thus is appropriate fodder for this thread), and would like to know where I can get a replacement hopup arm. I don't need the entire set, and am not really looking to upgrade to the PDI set; I just need a new arm.

Any idea where I can pick one up? (Preferrably CONUS,so I don't have to deal with steep shipping fees, but I'm not too picky)

Thanks guys.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have an APS2SV that's been running...oddly; and I could use some help if there's anyone out there that can.

The SV was given to me by a friend years ago; and everything in it was upgraded; barring the Hop and barrel. (I know...)

It had a KM (I think) adjustable hop and tightbore that was never fitted; due to the hop adjust being at the top of the unit, which necessitated drilling out a hole in the outer barrel in order to adjust it.

I passed on doing that, and bought the Laylax PSS2 Hop unit; and was fitted with a KM 363mm barrel and a Laylax Bucking & nub, with a Laylax M150 equivalent (Also a Guarder m150 at a later date).

However; it only resulted in between 390-400fps; which made me think there was air loss between the cylinder head and hop somewhere; even with a variety of springs it would never go above 410fps; with the lowest being about 330fps (With an Unknown rated spring).

To test it out; I fit the KM hop unit & barrel, with the same spring that was doing 390ish; only for it to rocket up to 640fps for an M150!

With a spare M150; attempts to clip the spring had negligible effect; the lowest I could get was 590fps; with a side result that it's ridiculously easy to cock the weapon; on a par with a standard spring now.

I've looked into the 'Dental floss around the bucking mod' for the Laylax hop; and I'm hoping to get my hands on some M110 and M120 springs to see what result they have with the KM unit; but thought I'd ask here before I do anything more to it.

Thanks. :)

Archived