Why do people find airsoft to be expensive?

deepsprayj

Why do people find airsoft expensive? I think it's because they're not so much into adrenalin type of sports, they think it's childish to run around the forest with "toy" guns, they are lazy (don't feel like running around) or for some other reason. Personally, I'd rather spend 100$/month for airsoft or some other sport than for clubbing, drinking etc. That's just not my style of life. If I see something that's in my interest I'll find a way to acquire it even if it's expensive; it'll take a bit longer but I'll get it.

To sum up; like some have said in this topic; it's because people like different things.

PS: 4.000$ a year is a bit too much even though I love this sport.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lol well im only 15, so at first $300 was a decent amount to save up for, so once i had enough i was pretty happy, thinking of spending about a total of $50 in gear and $100 in upgrades/bbs then i would be done. Now im over $1200 into airsoft at the age of 15 with no job, I only been into upgraded my classic army since christmas :)

So, on topic i think airsoft is very exspensive to the 10-15 year old crowd, other then that if you got a job then its not that exspensive.

Airsoft isn't that expensive.

Considering what they are (or can be), guns aren't usually that expensive.

And as hobbies go it's not an expensive one (well, depending on how addicted you are). Take horseriding for example. The cost of buying, training, feeding, maintaing and learning how to ride it (oo err) would cost far more than I have, or will ever spend on airsoft.

As far as I'm concerned, it's an expensive hobby. My other hobby, video games, is usually under $200 a year. Xbox Live for $50 and that gives me room for 2 new games and quite a few rentals. Besides, I just play Halo 2 and 3 the majority of the time. To see something giving me several hundred hours of entertainment for $200 definitely makes airsoft expensive. I'd love another high-end AEG, but I hardly even get to use my P90, let alone enough to justify $300+ on another gun.

However, it's been a long time since I got something new and I think I'm in the market for a new GBB. The price of airsoft is entirely dependent on the person and how it compares to their other expenses. You really can't brand it an expensive or cheap hobby, there's a strong grey area depending on how much you play, how you play, if you collect, and what your financial situation is. It's all relative.

As far as I'm concerned, it's an expensive hobby.  My other hobby, video games, is usually under $200 a year.  Xbox Live for $50 and that gives me room for 2 new games and quite a few rentals. 

But your forgetting the Game system cost :P

So it would basically be the exact amount as your video game hobby, 300-400 for the system (equivalent to a gun) and 200 for games/xbl (same as upgrades and gear)

Well for me when i first started i was happy with a stock Tokyo Marui, now I need a metal body, total upgraded internals, tightbores, real steal parts and optics, so what started off as me spending 20,000 JPY on a gun when i first started airsoft is now 100,000 JPY now 6 years on.

But expensive is only when you can't justify the cost....I can justify everything I buy....convincing the wife is a whole different matter :D

But expensive is only when you can't justify the cost....I can justify everything I buy....convincing the wife is a whole different matter :D

Haha... yes. Perhaps this is why I can't get a girlfriend, these things called women (no offense belladonna) can't seem to understand why we spend so much on toy guns :P

It's mainly younger people who say that (like me) Because it is not like other sports... My parents wont buy all of my gear and guns and such... But they will pay for gas and food plane tickes gear and feild fee's for my brother to play soccer...

But if you do think about it you could justify that it only costs as much as phone, internet and TV bills... Thats like at least 150$ a month their...

I suppose this question is similar to asking "why does everyone think a Ferrari is so expensive?"

After all, compared to the Pagani Zonda R ($1,565,000 usd) and similar cars, the $168,005 F430 is practically out of the bargin bin!

Clearly its all a matter of priorities and one's financial situation that dictates whether people find airsoft to be expensive or not, just as it dictates whether Ferraris are perfectly affordable. I've known people who would buy an extra Ferrari in white just because the streetlights reflect better off of it at night.

To end this pointless rant, I was personally this close to having a custom pair of Western Arms pistols made by Clarence Lai, as well as purchasing a "predator" p90 and a pair of MP5Ks to start off airsofting around five years ago. Finances fell through, and I haven't been able to even afford a rubbish springer yet! :P

Meh, I get 400$ to blow maybe every 6 months or so, as I have to support myself and my schooling and a lot of other stuff (food, electicity, heating ect.) on a low budget. Airsoft is DEFINITLY LESS EXPENSIVE THAN PAINTBALL however, as you do not need to pay for expensive paint (ie: 300rnds for 40 bucks is ridiculous).

A good friend of mine is a die-hard paintball fan and we just convinced him to take a step to the right side of the force (airsoft w00t) and buy an AEG. He bought a CA 33e, and the first time he had it out playing, he broke the hop-up. Now he does nothing but complain about how expensive airsoft is because of the parts.

Honestly, I do alot of research before each buy, as being low income only makes these descisions even tougher. He doesn't have to worry about money tho, because he gets alot of support from his parents, and so just relied off of what he had heard us talking about. We just said: hmm, full metal body, decent FPS, range looks pretty good, and then he went out and bought one.

He never read online reviews, never went to a store to look at one, just sat there on his lazy bum and let other people digest his information for him. Needless to say, buying an older generation CA gun isn't a great idea. Old CA guns (okay, the 33e isnt too old but it still has a plastic hopup and alot of subpar internals) are generally not very relyable. It came as no suprise that the hopup broke within a few matches, as far as I've seen, CA hopups arent all that good.

Now he does nothing but *badgeress* about how he hasn't got the money to fix it and that airsoft is too expensive. I've never seen something so utterly false. If you buy a gun built to last, like a Mauri or VFC or something of that caliber, you wont have to deal with buying replacement parts for broken internals. People say: o dont buy Mauri, it has a plastic body! I say: better buy the plastic gun that shoots 100% of the time liek a champ, than a metal gun that breaks first go and is a paperwight.

Just to illistrate the irony even further, my friend announced to my and the rest of our team, that he has no money because he wanted to buy a Nvidia 7950 GO for his desktop and paid 400 dollars for a new graphics card, but still complains to us that he has no money. People, I'm sorry, but you can do real life milsim for less money than a PC milsim these days. Honestly, I could build a top of the line PC for 3000 bucks, and I could build a top of the line airsoft gun for 1500. Half. And you know what the advantage of airsoft is? Its a helluvalot more real for one...

I'm sorry for ranting. I know thats not really the point of this thread. What I wanted to say is: alot of people complain about airsoft being really expensive, but I think if you are conservative about your purchases and buy only when on sale, and do alot of research before hand, you should be fine. Its really so much less than paintball to play, and honestly, if you get a good gun, internals shouldn't be an issue. Really, its not too bad funding wise, and look at it this way: its cheaper than paintball, and if we didn;t have airsoft, we'd all be arsons and such. :P

People like us need a creative outlet for mayhem! :D

To end this pointless rant, I was personally this close to having a custom pair of Western Arms pistols made by Clarence Lai, as well as purchasing a "predator" p90 and a pair of MP5Ks to start off airsofting around five years ago.  Finances fell through, and I haven't been able to even afford a rubbish springer yet!  :P

Double post sorry! :P

Damn dude, what did you do for a living! I want in!

Also, Pagani Zonda. Is that six digits? i don't think; they were about 400,000 USD in the US, if you could get them. I saw one at an Autoshow I went to in So-Flo, I thought it was more in the 400,000 area. I get you point tho, and this isn;t a flame, just saying...

Archived