WE making a .22LR MP7

renegadecow

Remember those teaser photos of a WE sort-of-MP7 dubbed "MP8" some time ago? Turns out it's not going to be airsoft but an actual firearm. I know this is technically not airsoft news per se, but it confirms what was an alleged airsoft gun as not being an airsoft gun after all. So scratch that WE MP7 off your lists.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2013/03/14/produce-22-hk-mp7-replica/ 

I wonder if it's me being optimistic or naive, but this could be good for airsoft, if they pump their firearms (gained) knowledge back into their airsoft products. I'm instantly thinking of materials. It also mentions VFC being involved with this, so can one assume a possible UMAREX presence. I didn't know VFC made the UMAREX .22 rifles, does this means the VFC HK416 is the closest replica around?

but it confirms what was an alleged airsoft gun as not being an airsoft gun after all. So scratch that WE MP7 off your lists.

You got that wrong. The WE MP7/MP8 Airsoft is real product.(that is my hand holding the gun).

iwawe005jxk0y.jpg

The article is just talking about some sort of "cooperation" between WE and a RS company, presumably VFC. Which to me seems more than unlikely.

In general it is possible that WE builds a .22lr gun. There are not that many differences in material and design between an airsoft GGBR and .22lr. German Sports Guns build MP5s in .22lr pretty much that way. But WE doesn't have the same sort of access to the most important .22 market - the US.

This just made my head hurt....We making real firearms...somewhere ADDAQ is rolling in his internet grave....

"I'm going to buy a 22 lr from the worlds worst airsofting manufacturer...it's a good idea, what could go wrong???"

Said no one ever.....

The legal implications of this would force them to up their game dramatically.  As much as I question WE products, I can't see them bringing out something dangerous.

I admire your optimism, but you guys have got this all back to front. WE are NOT making a .22LR version of their MP8 - they are licensing their design to a RS builder of guns - and therefore this is pretty unlikely to make any difference to their regular guns at least in the immediate future.

It also mentions VFC being involved with this, so can one assume a possible UMAREX presence. I didn't know VFC made the UMAREX .22 rifles, does this means the VFC HK416 is the closest replica around?

VFC don't make the .22LR replicas for Umarex.

Sorry about the essay, but this is sorta required explanation. Provided there is demand for civilian ownership of the weapon, .22LR copies are not that uncommon. Normally guns are replicated in .22LR for two types of reason - financial, and legal. The financial ones are simple. Normally, the weapon being cloned is very expensive (HK MP5s, for example, are currently work anywhere between $15-25,000; a GSG MP5 is around the $400 mark). Sometimes the weapon shoots expensive or even obsolete ammunition (a 30rd magazine of Federal 9mm - if you could get any at the moment, which you can't - would be around $10, whereas a 30rd magazine of Federal.22LR would be about $1.50) too. A crossover between financial and legal would be if the weapon is no longer legal to manufacture or import (like, for example, the MP5) which creates a finite supply and raises the price even further. Purely legal reasons are often centred around features of the weapon that are no longer legal (e.g. folding stocks, select-fire capability, or certain designs deemed easily modifiable to fully automatic capability) - or maybe the ammunition is not sold to civilians (e.g., 9mm Parabellum, which feeds the normal MP5, was not for sale to civilians in Italy, whereas .22LR usually is).

There have been .22LR copies of HK's weapons - particularly the MP5 - made before. The MP5 hits all of the above reasons - in its select-fire form it cannot be legally sold to the civilian market any more,  and HK discontinued sales of even semi-automatic only versions years ago so the finite supply of weapons is extremely expensive, especially because the gun was never cheap from HK in the first place, and It fires expensive 9mm ammunition. There is a market, however, for people that want a gun that looks like an MP5 (even if it has nothing else in common with it) - such people are in non-gun-owning-countries called 'airsofters' and in others form part of the market for .22LR replicas. Umarex (who hold HK's trademark rights, and therefore govern who gets to make guns that look like HK's guns but aren't made by HK) handle this - which is why Umarex license GermanSportGuns (GSG's) .22LR replicas of the MP5. You need some certification to make guns, which you can bet everything you own WE doesn't have - another reason they wouldn't be the ones making the putative MP8-.22.

However, Umarex won't be licensing anyone to make a copy of the MP7 any time soon. The problem with the MP7 is that it is very small (compared to, say, a regular MP5) which means it falls foul of a lot of rules in the American market (which is the primary market for these sort of guns, unsurprisingly) and elsewhere concerning the minimum length of rifles. Pistols, obviously, are not subject to such onerous minimum size requirements, but pistols are not allowed other features (foregrips and folding/extendable stocks - hence the HK SP89 modification of the MP5K) that the MP7 has. If Umarex won't license it, no-one's making a .22LR MP7 anytime soon.

It's only because the MP8 is allegedly not an MP7 rip-off that this is even close to coming off the ground, and you can bet there'll be some pretty serious modifications needed to make this legal as an actual firearm. In fact, those modifications will make it quite unlike the airsoft gun.

It's only because the MP8 is allegedly not an MP7 rip-off that this is even close to coming off the ground, and you can bet there'll be some pretty serious modifications needed to make this legal as an actual firearm. In fact, those modifications will make it quite unlike the airsoft gun.

Thanks. Now you've put an image of a 16" barreled MP7(8) floating in my head. That's gonna haunt me forever.

Yep. That or they'll have to remove the foregrip and the folding stock, SP89 style.

I've never understood that, personally. I can understand making pistols harder to get and more regulated than rifles - pistols are concealable. But once you have a license for a pistol, and a gun licensed as a pistol, why should it be illegal to make it (functionally) bigger with a folding stock? It's bizarre.

I love how WE is somehow "the worst" airsoft manufacturer in the world, according to some here. I'd love to hear who these people think are the best manufacturer.....

With all due respect Mr Eisenhorn, first and foremost, yes, TM would more than likely come out on my top of list, but to tie this all in with Mr. Elchinator's post, I don't mix airsofting with real steel, mainly due to the fact that you really can't. The fact that alot of American airsofters lost their muffins when the We open bolt gas systems got banned due to the fact that could be " made into realsteel" kind of proves a point.

KWA would run a close second to Marui....and I wouldn't purchase a real steel from any airsofting company...it's not like a Reeses cup.

Frankly I could see We farming out the .22 to another company (remember the hk3 We deal) and then coming back with, 

"So then how can you make this cheaper for larger market share" 

The piece hit's the shelves, and young airsofters trying to segue into real steel start loosing hands eye's and such from this abortion...

/rant

With all due respect Mr Eisenhorn, first and foremost, yes, TM would more than likely come out on my top of list, but to tie this all in with Mr. Elchinator's post, I don't mix airsofting with real steel, mainly due to the fact that you really can't. The fact that alot of American airsofters lost their muffins when the We open bolt gas systems got banned due to the fact that could be " made into realsteel" kind of proves a point.

KWA would run a close second to Marui....and I wouldn't purchase a real steel from any airsofting company...it's not like a Reeses cup.

Frankly I could see We farming out the .22 to another company (remember the hk3 We deal) and then coming back with, 

"So then how can you make this cheaper for larger market share" 

The piece hit's the shelves, and young airsofters trying to segue into real steel start loosing hands eye's and such from this abortion...

/rant

Your rant is misguided for a couple of reasons. First up, I never mentioned the real steel aspect of this discussion, I'm in complete agreement with you, firing real rifles and airsoft are two different things. I don't believe a company's focus on one sport should restrict it from expanding into another however. The point I was referring to, was the statement regarding WE's pedigree (or lack of), and I was curious how people would justify it.

Second point, looking at your response, TM is the best, which is hilarious as i) they make completely different products (AEG vs GBB), and ii) it's hardly as if TM are free from criticism. The other nonsensical aspect of your rant is the fact that, according to you, this lack of pedigree stems from the fact that the US government has ban their products because they're too realistic...so, let me get this straight, WE are the worst airsoft company in the world, because their replica rifle products are too realistic???? Not poor quality, bad customer service, lack of innovation....their products are too real.

Sorry, I find it hard to take your point seriously. And drawing a conclusion from your point, if your stance was valid, an airsoft company whose products were "too realistic", IMHO, there's no one I would rather trust to make the transition from airsoft to real steel.

Hmmm, so WE are going to give out the designs of the MP7-Abortion to another company so they can slam so real workings in and make a semi automatic .22LR?

This is how I read it, and seeing as it is the design they are offering and not the airsoft grade materials what is the issue? Just means WE gets to make more money and the RS world gets a MP7 that looks just enough of an abortion that they don't get sued by H&K, let them I say.

Oh and as we all know in this day and age TM still 'am bestest' duh :P. /sarcasm.

'FireKnife'

Bring on the MP7 in .22lr! My GSG5 is awesome and I would love this. I really want a .22lr G36 but this will fill that gap right now. As for the length problem they can just do what they did with the GSG5. Whack a big fake suppressor over a longer barrel. The real weapon is about 415mm with a 180mm barrel. In the Uk it would have to be 600mm with a 300mm barrel. So whack a 190mm fake suppressor on it and jobs a good'un. I think this would cover most other countries who buy .22rf too.

There is a G36 body kit available for the Ruger 10/22 available from Midway UK.

http://www.midwayuk.com/epages/Midway_UK.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/Midway_UK/Products/567408&ff_pos=106&ff_origPos=106&ff_simi=96.19&ff_TrackGUID=5145CB36-C558-7735-97F9-1414141B19AC

That + a Ruger would probably end up half the price....

Archived