G&G's GEC System - The Most Advanced AEG Ever?

PureSilver

Here are two videos G&G have released. Sorry for the clickbait title, but having watched these I think these are strong contenders for the most advanced stock AEGs ever made. The videos demonstrate the features of their new GEC system, which include:

• Quick-detach pistol grip and motor assembly.
  • Quick-detach proprietary stock tube battery and six-position adjustable stock.
  • New tappetless, modular split gearbox with quick spring change and ceramic bearings.
  • 'Micro control unit' FCU, with magazine/BB sensor (no magazine or no BB, no fire), bolt sensor (I assume if the bolt is drawn back, no fire), trigger sensor, fire-selector sensors, bolt catch sensor, and gearbox split sensor. It looks to have absolutely no exposed contacts or microswitches anywhere.
  • Trigger hammer (has to be a first for an AEG) to provide realistic break and reset.
  • Simulated cocking resistance and noise.
  • Realistic magazine with last-round feed and fake cartridges.

Not usually impressed by anything AEG related but christ this is impressive. Seriously impressive.

Battery storage is clever, so is that grip. Providing you set it all up correctly you could potentially hot swap for a DMR style rifle or CQB, if they add adjustable FPS they are set. 

I think the quick change spring & split gearbox design is damn good, I didn't notice an arl release (like the ics) but with that smart trigger maybe it always completes the cycle instead.

If you can easily lock it to semi, thats a winning modular dmr/woodland/cqb setup right there!

Jim.

Personally I'd prefer "regular" batteries. Having its own does help the electrics to survive a bit longer.

I'd miss my precocking-feature very much and the irony is, this could have such feature easily.

It might get 3rd party FCU if this picks up popularity and by the looks of it, it most likely will if the price is right.

They really did put lot of thought into this.

Proprietary pistol grip, battery, motor, stock so upgrades and customisation will be impossible until some one makes after market parts (long wait).

Yep. However, I think you should be able to ditch the battery system by just bolting up a different stock tube - you may even be able to ditch the motor grip with a bit of ingenuity - which would free you up to use a variety of aftermarket parts. I think aftermarket support for G&G's weird proprietary guns has always been poor (battery grips for Kalashnikovs, that deeply flawed VSS they make) so it's two steps forward and one step back in that regard.

G&G have really thought this out. It sucks that it uses proprietary parts, but to me it looks good as it is. I really like the features they've added to this.

I think large numbers of proprietary parts are inevitable when you're making changes this drastic; maximum parts compatibility means stagnant cloning of old designs, which describes almost exactly what has been going on in the vast majority of airsoft factories for decades.

This does look very interesting. If they made other replicas (other than the ar15 type platform, but that is the most popular so you can see why they've gone down that route) this could become the bench mark for aegs 'going forward' (hate that phrase but it does seem to work here).

Second on the 'wish it was a P90'. Very impressive though, most impressive.

This is gonna sound weird at first glance, but honestly I hope these cost at least as much as the TM Recoil ARs (if not more) because I'm not sure they can make a good release of them if they scrimp on QC and material quality in any way; given the complexity.  Right now there's a lot of promises and I think folks should be careful with getting swept up in marketing.

I love a lot of the ideas, but as mentioned they've already shown that proprietary battery packs don't work out and that's somewhat a core component of an electric gun.  If you can't change the grip, stock or front end (and that weird ratchet sort of system inside the handguard will be a serious obstacle there) that kills it for me personally, but there's certainly a big market of folks who aren't weird OCD like me and just want to buy a gun and actually use it.  Whereas I buy a gun, put it in a cupboard and tinker with it occasionally for about 1-3 years before begrudgingly taking it to a skirmish once I'm fully satisfied that it's caused me enough annoyance in the form of parts not fitting together.

I think us forum dwellers that care a lot about the looks are a small minority and if they make these reliable and at a good price they have the potential to sell very well regardless of aesthetics.

Have to agree with CK on most of those points really.

Cocking noise sounds like a gimmick that won't sound good or be all that useful for adding your own front ends. Proprietary battery is silly, and no need given they haven't incorporated recoil so it should just be a stock tube with genuine deans on. And same with the motor really, just looks like it'll cause alignment issues after a few swaps.

The internals could be a very good thing however, if the electronics don't fry due to being terribly low ampage.

Since Airsoft Systems and their ASAR are no longer actual there is a room

they proved that pretty good.

One can only wonder why nobody else have picked up on that.

But there are things that concern me.

When ICS made the split gearbox everbody thought is was going to be the future.

And nothing happend.

When the ASCU came out everbody said this is the future

and AS slapped out on the v3 and quickly made the 3+ version.

So a lot of this depends on the electrics.

If it dies so does the hole gun and entire project.

Systema PTW were ###### for years

only a few years ago Tac made the hopup and motor work

but at a high price to pay.

What made the PTW survive for that period of time

especially at that price one can only wonder.

Maybee the marketing of

"This is used by military and lawenforcement" Professional my bottucks A-SS

But it is gonna be hard to work on it

how are you gonna testfire it to check it all work before putting it together?

Interessting yes indeed but pricetag can make it or brake it

Innovative in some respects, but, not a Systema contender.

I still think the pinnacle of the AEG experience is met with the recoil systems, and, for me, the PTS / KWA offerings. While this has some fancy gadgets (trigger, mag, and ratchet sound?) once the trigger is pulled, it will still be a largely lifeless experience.

Maybe some of these features will eventually find a home in the upcoming recoil platforms.

Looks like a normal motor to me, so there's potential to swap that at least. but that's a lot of electronics considering how poor their toptech mosfets were.

Yeah, that's a lot of stuff that can fry. Hope they come with a nice warranty.

Archived