Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

After abit of work it now looks like this (compare with above).

S6001010.jpg

I have used some bits and bats that were lying around in the bottom of the gun cupboard. This includes parts of a yoke that i have clipped around the rear of the stock. As you can see this means there is now a foliage loop for a clump of grass. In this position it will not be in the way of my arm or shoulder.

S6001016.jpg

Another part of the yoke was used to provide 3 foliage loops on the right side of the main forearm just past the scope. (Cheers BAUER for the idea :P ). These are purposefully on the lower right side, to make any grass/ferns added will be clear of the scope picture and my body, to reduce sound. You can also see I have tried to make the 20m scope front optic, less of a perfect circle, by adding webbing material (from the scrap yoke) to one side. I have decided to use my flip up scope cover for it and cammed it up so you can still open it at the push of a button. This helps with moisture on rainy days. As you can carry your rifle facing upwards all day and therefore the rear optic stays dry, then just flip the front button to shoot.

S6001023.jpg

There are no foliage loops on the left side of the rifle for this reason.

S6001024.jpg

I added the last scraps of ADVANTAGE tape to the bipod uppers.

S6001011.jpg

The muzzle end, got a scrap of fabric tape that I roughly cut a hole in to minimise the eye being drawn t o the black circle on the standard black rifle.

Still some bits to do but looking like it could work on my next outing. Will show pics of it with local cam, when I next get chance.

S6001019.jpg

Good luck with your own rifle cam projects. ;)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DSCF0060.jpg

the rifle

DSCF0068.jpg

me and the rifle

(posed photos) think theres a couple of me in game, but the ghillie definatly helped me, managed to keep 3 guys pinned down without working out where i was, was only cos i was bolt happy and started to cock to fast without waiting that they honed in on me :) damn my eagerness some times lol

very nice Bauer..

Played with my ghillie first time today.. not many pics, just a couple with my friend's mobile camera.. so excuse quality.

Here's my whole setup with some vegetation added.

It worked miracles i was very rarely spotted for the whole day, but unfortunatly the site wasn;t very sniper friendly.. mostly thick bushes.. but i still got some nice kills without being spotted.

IMAGE_00048.jpg

Played with my ghillie for the first time today.. and boy was it awesome.. I was practically invisible as this site had ALOT of thick bushes.. but because of that it wasn;t very sniper friendly, few and smal firing corridors, and the bushes were so thick that many were impassable or barely passable but with alot of snagging and noise..

First impressions about ghillie fighting:

-excellent camo

-allows multiple shots without being detected.. even more before being spotted

-VERY HOT!@!!

-mobility greatly reduced

-EXTREMELY HOT

I must say there were a few moments today that made me swell with pride:

-I fired 8 shots at 2 guys that were about 30 meters away,took them both out, they didnt see me( 8 shots cuz twigs kept deflecting my bb's)

-i was sneaking through a bush, and i heard noises, froze. 2 enemies appeared less than 10m away in another thick bush. They stopped and scanned the area for several minutes without seeing me.. I took out my sidearm really slow, but probably moved a litte too fast so one of them noticed something.. discussion between them follows:

"what was that?"

"where"

"there.. near the bush, straight ahead"

"don't see it"

*points to me, 10 meters away, i was kneeling, my left shoulder was towards them

" there, saw something move"

about 30 LOONG seconds passed.. as they scanned the area.. then one moved probably to see better and i panicked thinking he was lifting his AEG so i fired with my sidearm.. First guy was hit instantly but second one was almost entirely hidden and he got me after a long burst.. was still awesome. After i talked to them and they told me they weren;t actually looking at me, they were looking beyond me at another bush

and prolly the most fun.. i was prone on the side of a road, covering the left flank. no enemies came my way, but a few cars came down the road slowly( dirt road), about 5, with 3-4 people in each of them.. they passed by me probably less than 5 meters away, i could have touched the cars with my rifle.. never saw me.

Enough bragging.. here's a couple of pics my friend took with his mobile's camera.. excuse the quality:

me standing proudly with my new veggies

IMAGE_00048.jpg

picture of me kneeling, firing position at the cameraman, about 7-10 meters away:

IMAGE_00049.jpg

man ghillies are HOT!! literrally.. drank about 3 liters of water in 4 hrs, and my face camo just ran down eventually

Rhyno

It might be worth sticking your rifle to a lower power, one that doesnt have an engagement rule, such as 1j here in the uk, where people dont have a minimum engagment distance, that way with all the thick bushes, you can use field craft more, and get closer without having to worry about getting to close.

that would be 120m/s.. if i'm not mistaking it's 400 fps..i still have the old 120 spring but it was not a problem of minimum engagement distance tho, it's a problem with the way games are played here, more fast paced and action oriented.. the game is still somewhat new in my country and snipers are somewhat of a rare breed.. im the only one that bothered to make a ghillie, the rest just charge with the assault team and play more as DM.

My problems here were not that i couldn't fire because of the rules, but because i didn't have a clean shot because of all the twigs and branches and leaves.. and because i really could't see them until they were about 30 m away, and withing thier AEG ranges..and firing would give away my relative position which inevitably leads to 4-5 AEG's charging me.. since i am somewhat of a rarity i am usually stuck with the less experienced team, and just a couple of my regular team mates were present today to watch my back..

When we get back to playing the usual dense woodland areas i should be fine..

Wow, its good to see your ghillie in action, and i must say, now youve added that foliage, it works one hell of alot better.

ahh yes, the temprature thing, Its why i only wear ghillie in the winter :)

Glad you enjoy'd yourself, certianly looked very smart :)

That suit works REALLY well with natural foliage added! impressive!

In ref to the heat: I've found a little trick with making Ghillie suits to keep the heat down a bit - Use builders hessian!

The type they use to cure concrete is only 1/2 to a 1/3 as dense as sandbag hessian and is therefore MUCH lighter and MUCH cooler! Although it does "shed" a bit more easily.

An added side effect is that it is also VERY quick drying! As we all know how much heavier a suit gets when it rains or you add wet foliage to it!

I bought an enormous roll of the stuff from a builders merchants as it was quite cheap and dyed it all sorts of colours and it works really well. Although i'm still not 100% sure about it's longevity due to the aforementioned shedding issue.

well im sure than any ghillie is hot, but in my case part of it is my fault.. because of the "building materials".. the threads you see are mostly wool or wool-like fabric with some strips of DPM..

Choice of material was tied to 3 main things:

-size of my netting, which is pretty small

-didn't like the dyeing part of the process

-i have no ideea what "hessian", and "burlap" mean..

I have a rough ideea, but i don;t know the equivalent in my language for those 2 materials, and trust me, i SEARCHED, and i ASKED, and i have a pretty high level of english knowledge and vocabulary for a non-native to the language..

Regarding using sandbag material here we have 2 kinds:

-the hempen ones

-jute ones

I tried taking pieces of the hemp ones and fraying them, but they fray too easily and the material is HEAVY.. plus i'd have to dye them which was too much to bother with

The jute from the jute bags here resembles plastic almost.. it's a tough scratchy fiber and it's very hard to handle.. again i'd have to dye it because they come in some wild patterns like white and red checkers..

About "hessian" and "Burlap", maybe can someone explain to me in a context what they are.. i might figure it out..

Regarding the ghillie, i decided to remove most of the material from the front, and some from the other areas, to make it lighter. I will add more veggie hoops along the arms and shoulders..

I also need to alter my headpiece.. it's basically a woodland boonie hat with netting sewn over it and on the sides and back it's left long to below my shoulders. It;s very effective at breaking the shape, but i found it hard to look to the sides when prone, because the "veil" will not turn with my head, being soft netting with pretty heavy material, so i end up looking at the netting or need to do some noticeable movement to get the netting out of the way..i'll probably cut a little more from the netting, to give me a bigger "visor".

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Hey guys, Im thinking about making a ghillie, but due to the unfriendly climate in Hong Kong, and to me using contacts instead of glasses, I do not want to use jute.

I saw synthetic thread on ghilliesuits.com, and that seems to be good, but would it actually help cool the suit down? or would it just help eliminating the particles that could get into my eye?

Thanks

nice first ghillie :D . Add more local camo and you will be effective.

Hessian is like the hemp bags you mention but will tighter weave.

S6000990.jpg

here is some on my scope. It is undyed and adds contrast. That is important to avoid looking like a large dark shape that draws the eye.

Good Hunting ;)

as davcymru says builders hessian is good stuff to use, the majority of the hessian i used was builders hessian, purely because i managed to get a huge sheet of it for free :P The stuff is a bit cooler, but still toasty.

Also straight after dying it, it begins to look weathered and doesnt take much work at all.

Nice work :) .

Looks good, but you need to cam up the silencer endcap. My only other advice is to tie some of those threads into knots around the barrel. Have the knots so that they make the material stick out and up rather than just hanging down.

This will make a difference without much work. ;)

cheers  ;)

just spotted this on ebay... click here ... looks interesting to cut up and use on ghillie and equipment.

cor, that brings back some memories! :) as I bought some of this MANY years ago.

Basically it's lace curtain with a DPM pattern on it! If memory serves me right I bought it by the meter and i bought about 6 meters of it. It was very effective when folded double and used across the open end of a bivi as it was good camouflage, allowed you to see out and also kept a bit of the wind out.

I did try to use it for a face veil but just didn't get on with it! :(

You'll mainly come across the stuff with the pattern only printed on one side.

If that's the case with this, then it might not be as effective as you want, if attaching it as artificial foliage to a ghillie suit. The double sided stuff on the other hand is VERY useful though :)

This is like one I got off ebay too (click here).

Those snipers veils are EXCELLENT! and make a really good starting point for a ghillie suit. Although i've found that the modern british one you can get for a few quid from most army surplus shops is nearly exactly the same material but comes ready "tailored" in a "head sock" style. Although it does need minor alterations to make it more useable / comfortable.

Nice work :D .

Just the 40mm front optic and end of the silencer to disguise. Painting the muzzle end is an option as you don't want loose material interfering withyour shots (as you know).

The front optic is always a tough one as you don't want to obscure the scopes view or light gathering ability.

I intend to try the covers with windows cut into them approach soon and investigate if it is practical for our purpose. Will post about it in the RIFLE CAMO thread.

Good Hunting ;)

I am in the process in camoing my rifle and get some green material good knows what it is but it seems that it will do the job fin since i couldnt find any hessian. Well to move on, i am camoing up a VSR g-spec and just wondering what i can use for a base as i am clue less what i am going to use. So bisically what suggestions do you have on what I can use to attach my material to other than just gluing it to my rifle as i would rather not to do that

Thanks very much Jim

Archived