Complete Ghillie Thread

The Chef

I put them through the netting and then attach them to the netting by using a piece of jute that I pulled free from the stand.

I finished the jacket and now I'm working on my headpiece.

HPIM0731.jpg

Compared to

HPIM0732.jpg

At about 15 feet:

HPIM0726.jpg

Right side: woodland blouse

left of that(Hard to see) ghillie top

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After looking through the SOF Military website, i noticed this (im talking about the ghillie garnish kit, not the 3d ghillie suit) and was wondering how well that would work on a concealment vest.

its just an idea, but i thought it could work well with the camo net being placed on the concealment vest first on the back and on the shoulders, attached to the vest with the zip ties, with the strands of fabric and hessian attached to either the camo net itself, or to the vest netting and let loose to hang over the top of the camo net, maybe interlaced a bit with the camo net if you know what i mean.

this is similar to what i was originaly planning to do at one point, but i only originaly planned to just use hessian material, untill i found this stuff for sale.

there sounds like there is enough stuff there to make a the concealment vest fully covered and good to use, and if the vest needs a bit of touching up just before a skirmish, there elastic straps on the concealment vest should still be usable as the camo net, hessian and fabric wont be too dense.

Dusk: no offence but my eye is drawn to your ghillie, before the regular woodland top. This is due to the light reflecting off the woodland clothing differently to how it is absorbed by the jute. The ghillie is the darkest thing in the picture and your eye therefore is attracted to it quicker than the other material. I am sure if you attach local cam to it, to lighten it up with the grass that abounds in that area you would blend in better. Guess you were going to do that anyway?

Dist : Yes you have found a great kit for the concealment vest and with it a ghillie could be finished very quickly indeed compared to stitching or knotting.

My feeble $50HKD attempt at a gunwrap:

gunwrap.jpg

gunwrap2.jpg

gunwrap1.jpg

The loose bit at the end I will flip over my head when in use - and that seems to keep it clear of the bolt.

I realise it's a bit slip-shod at the moment, but I'm new at this sort of thing.

This is what my rifle camo looks like:

hpim0881wn2.jpg

hpim0880ga0.jpg

Ignore the bright yellow, thats an armband my team had to wear.. The game was mostly urban+some scrapland but because it was windy i decided against wearing my ghillie and just played as DM for the day. Didn't remove the wrap just in case i decided to ghillie up later.

It's made from a piece from a Mil-Tec camo netting, left over from making my ghillie, wrapped around the rifle, tied in place with pieces of wool, and the camo on it is wool, or something close to it.. with pieces of heavy duty string.

In the first picture, you can see a bit of bright green, that's a one of the pieces of elastic i sew onto the netting to add vegetation.. there are a few of those scattered along the barrel and receiver area..it's a bit bright so i will darken it.. also have to add more material to the scope area, but i think it is allright.

This is what i have so far:

hpim0698ek8.jpg

hpim0701xa4.jpg

hpim0703yo4.jpg

The pics are basically just me posing, there wasn;t enough cover at that site for me to use the ghillie, and it was the first game after i finished making it.. so i decided to put it on to get some pics and see what needs fixing. It;s not "roughed up" yet, so the colours are strong and not faded at all yet, and i didn't bother to add any vegetation, even tho i have veggie loops on the head, neck , shoulders and arms areas.. Also didnt bother to camo all of the exposed skin.. so stuff shines here and there..

It also looks dark compared to the fress green grass, but i will mostly use it in heavy forested area where everything is darker, so i think that will be allright..

My concern is that it's not enough brown on it.. what do you guys think?

That's looking REALLY good Rhyn0.

The texture is about right, but as you say the contrast of colours "could" possibly do with some adjustment.

I think your 3rd picture shows it's current downfall (or it might just be the camera!) as the suit just looks like it's one OD Green blob.

But then again you've still got to "age" it. That'll make the different parts of the suit and the different materials all change their colour anyway. That long with natural foliage and the accumulation of "muck" it'll get from actually using it and it should work REALLY well!

thanks dave, thats about what i was thinking when i first saw the pictures.. that it doesn;t break up my shape that much.. but i think that was partly because of the camera angle and the stuff on the ghillie not being roughed up, and also because theres no one near to compare with. That's partially why i added veggie loops on the most important parts that make up your shape: the head, the shoulders and the arms.. with some vegetation there to break up the shape, i think it will work just fine..

gonna add 2 more pics that are closer up and show comparison to other people, hope it's not too much..

hpim0713uu2.jpg

hpim0716uf5.jpg

one more thing, add more burlap in knots to one side of your hat to stop it from "domeing" so much, it looks like a head

you definatly need to age it, leave it hanging up outside through a few rainstorms once it starts to fade it'll be great.

making it more "tufty" and adding some more colors will let it work in more situations.

my hat looks like a birds/ratsnest allmost.

get a hood :D to cover your hair/face up from its natural colour (unless you've had plastic or dyed your hair which i doubt :P )

and darklite :D LOL that is full of lols. sticky tape!!! lol you must put some glue on it to stick some dirt/mud on it to complete your budget camo wrap! :D

get a hood :D to cover your hair/face up from its natural colour (unless you've had plastic or dyed your hair which i doubt :P )

and darklite :D LOL that is full of lols. sticky tape!!! lol you must put some glue on it to stick some dirt/mud on it to complete your budget camo wrap! :D

I don;t understand your comments.. i do have a hood and a full ghillie but like i said i decided against wearing it.. what does "had plastic" and "darklite" even mean? And WHAT STICKY TAPE?

Whatever you're smoking, i want some...

haha, now it makes sense.. i read his post like 20 times trying to figure it out.. What the lack of proper spacing and punctuation does to a text, i swear..

As for the front of the scope, i'm still waiting on a proper 50 diameter extender to arrive so i didnt really bother.. uncompany sent me a 40 by mistake.. which they seem to be doing alot of lately..

any ideea what "had plastic" means? :P

Right, got a skirmish this sunday, summers a coming and ghillies back in full swing.

So ive decided to get my rifle camm'd up for the season, the internals are sorted, firing 490 w/ .2 and have decided to keep the nineball hop rubber in, because i know how that performs compared to the firefly one.

ive taken a simular approach to my last rifle ghillie

DSC00192.jpg

this year ive taken it a bit further,

ive added a bit to the back to cover the scope fully, and to cover the bolt so my hand is hidden when im cocking the rifle (thanks for the idea bushman ;))

ive also let the back of the barrel part sag down, to partially hide the bipod. this helps break up the shape a bit.

and most importantly included are veggie hoops, for that good old natural veg which is just starting to sprowt very nicley :D

DSCF0056.jpg

DSCF0053.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

DSCF0046.jpg

the back fold out of the way so i can access the turrets to zero,

will get some photos on site this sunday :)

nice work BAUER :) . Looks effective.

just started to add more camo to my m40a1 for the coming warm weather.

Here is how it looks at the moment.

S6000988.jpg

scope detail...

S6000990.jpg

Showing the 20mm optic is far easier to conceal than the 40 or 50mm that is most commonly used.

S6000986.jpg

and here it shows close up and the HOP UP control too.

S6000989.jpg

lastly is a close up showing the barrel and bipod. I think I need to cam the top of the bipod better to avoid reflection/shine.

S6000987.jpg

More will be stitched to the gun sock and elastic bands will be used to add local camo. Will show you what it looks like when I have finished.

Happy Hunting ;)

haha, now it makes sense.. i read his post like 20 times trying to figure it out.. What the lack of proper spacing and punctuation does to a text, i swear..

As for the front of the scope, i'm still waiting on a proper 50 diameter extender to arrive so i didnt really bother.. uncompany sent me a 40 by mistake.. which they seem to be doing alot of lately..

any ideea what "had plastic" means? :P

typo of hard plastic?

i like that a lot, but how come theres no jute on your legs?

That site is actually more of an urban/cqb site with some scrapland around it.. i basically just put the ghillie on to take a few pictures and then took it off for the day. I usually play in dense woodland areas, with quite alot of bushes that get to about chest hight.. so i figured i don;t really need my legs camo-ed.. more snagging.. i let the lower part of the suit longer so it coveres to about mid-thigh. If i see a need for leg camo i'll add it.. it's not so hard..

i'll see if someone has a cam at this sunday's game so i can get a few "real" pics with vegetaton added and me in hiding..

I'd spent a few years without using leg camo, but i eventually got fed up with having to think extra about hiding my legs when taking up position so i made myself some Ghillie suit overtrousers and i have to say i've been much happier ever since!

They are not as cumbersome as i thought they would be to use and they have been a bit of a god send on a few occasions where i was laid up a position i wouldn't have otherwise have used.

Archived