BB comparison

sirrith

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn`t know, i only copied the list. As i said the org post was on airsoft retreat but the page doesn`t seem to be coming up http://www.airsoftretreat.com/forums/topic...?TOPIC_ID=85226.

I would guess though that the special order are probably hard to find now. Probably best bet is to try to order them direct from digicon if they even still do them.

also, once you pass a certain point of weight you begin to lose rather than gain.

not true, hop up is what plays a part on that. Assuming hop up can put the appropriate amount of spin on the weight, a heavier object will carry its inertia longer, thus shooting further.

I keep reading positive stuff about Guarder .28 HPM.

Anyone compared them to sgms or .30 tm?

Yeah, do a search 'cos I'm always raving on about HPM's.

For fear of repeating:

I'd been through the usual bunch (including the digicon family & Marui's .3) & settled on sgm's. I was given the HPM's by a mate who had got them at a skirmish by mistake (thought they were .2's.)

I started off using them in my aeg sniper (couldn't afford to feed that sgm's) & noticed a dramatic improvement over the marui .25's I'd been previously feeding it.

So, I did a quick like for like test against the sgm's in my vsr's. They seamed to need a little more hop & gave the same accuracy as SGM'S about 9 out of 10 shots. I published this some time ago (possibly in this thread) & someone replied with a set of stats showing that hpms were actually more consistently made (shape, weight, smoothness etc) than sgms!!

I then went back to the vsr's & after more testing realized that they were about the same as the sgms. Imagine my delight, no more super expensive bb's for me. :P

I've still got some sgms (used to buy in bulk, to keep cost down) but as they get used up, I wont be replacing them.

They may not suit every thing. I only use them in my guns over 400fps, this includes the vsr's at 500fps. I have taken the vsr's over that, (560 & 660) & found no benefit to range or accuracy with bb's lighter than .3 at that power. I think a heavier bb would produce the goods, but as we have a 500fps cap, further experimentation (& expense) seemed pointless.

They may also specifically suit my set ups: vsr's are on lalax barrels with firefly hard v hop & the aeg is lalax barrel with mad bull silicon shark.

Just for the record I've had the same results with Blaster Pro .28's. These are dark green so great for those stealth kills, but not so good if, like me, you want to trace their flight path. (Fine against a white paper target, not so good in the field.)

Give 'em a go, it would be good to see what you think. I suspect they may not be a winner for you as I believe you are running higher than 500fps.

Good luck,

Greg.

They may also specifically suit my set ups: vsr's are on lalax barrels with firefly hard v hop & the aeg is lalax barrel with mad bull silicon shark.

Give 'em a go, it would be good to see what you think. I suspect they may not be a winner for you as I believe you are running higher than 500fps.

Thanks greg.

Just bought a bottle, and hopefully I can run a test tomorrow at the range.

I also have the laylax+firefly hard setup.

High (550-600) fps bolt action experiences, not just mine:

GP .28 --- not good

Blaster .30 (white) --- not good

.29 SGM --- excellent

TM .30 --- excellent

Straight .36 (white) --- unbelievable <40m, worse than SGM/TM above 50m

Thanks greg.

Just bought a bottle, and hopefully I can run a test tomorrow at the range.

I also have the laylax+firefly hard setup.

High (550-600) fps bolt action experiences, not just mine:

GP .28 --- not good

Blaster .30 (white) --- not good

.29 SGM --- excellent

TM .30 --- excellent

Straight .36 (white) --- unbelievable <40m, worse than SGM/TM above 50m

Interesting to see, I have had similar experience. Funny how I found the blaster .28's to be good, but like you, the .3's aren't.

Like you, I found that digi's weren't up to much. As previously posted, this can be improved by 'filtering' & they do go quite well in gas guns, particularly pistols.

Greg.

not true, hop up is what plays a part on that. Assuming hop up can put the appropriate amount of spin on the weight, a heavier object will carry its inertia longer, thus shooting further.

nooooo. rough example, if yo use a .43g bb in a gun firing at 260fps, no matter how much hop you apply, it is not going to go further than a .20 or a .25

greg, i have filtered my orange label .36g digis, by rolling them through a .01 barrel...... they still suck i guess its all about the label.... go brown label :P

Well the white .36`s with the orange label are at the bottom of the list so are probably the worst of them, unfortunly only them and the teflon coated seem to be readily available. Dosn`t really effect me now as all my regular sites now work on a 1j limit so i stick to sgm and guarder .28`s. Although i did find that a bag of siis 0.25 actually performed better than the sgms, i was going to try to get a few bags of the siis 0.28`s but the guarders are good enough and alot cheaper.

I do agree though about the white .36`s, they work really well in my saa`s and hfc beretta`s.

Interesting note to make about the SIIS 0.33g...

Having cleaned my Madbull 6.03mm barrel for some testing this weekend, I decided to drop a few of the BB's through the barrel, and hold them up to a light to check out how big the gap was between each of the BB's.

I tried it with 3 different brands of BB - Xtreme 0.3g, SIIS 0.33g and Digicon 0.43g (uncoated variety). I couldn't tell any discernable difference in the gap between each brand of BB.

So I decided to repeat the test through my PDI 6.01mm barrel. The Xtreme and Digicon BB's both went through the barrel fine... but the SIIS one wouldn't fall through of it's own accord! Which leads me to believe that these SIIS bb's are slightly bigger than the other brands!

Can anyone else imperically prove this theory?

there are two other possiblities though.

1. they are the same diameter, but the powdery surface makes them slightly larger, and gives more friction

2. they are simply very imperfect, so the imperfections get stuck (like trying to put cruddy digicons through a .01)

Interesting you should say that scithe. However, the SIIS bb's don't get stuck halfway down the barrel, they are jammed right at the very top, as soon as the full diameter of the bb enters the barrel.

I'm going to further assume that this may have been the reason why my hop had little effect on them, when it was overhopping 0.36g digicons. But in any case, I've put my longer 6.03mm barrel in, so we'll see how they perform at the weekend :)

so a 1kg bb will shoot further than a .3g bb, if both have the same power pushing them, and the optimal hopup setting?

you know what, you find me a 1 kg bb and I'll try it out. All I can say is I shoot .43's further then .36's, .36's further then .3's etc.. out of a 550 fps type 96.

I apologize for making an assumption that on an airsoft sniping forum, bb mass would be kept at a realistic weight, but obviously not.

So here are a bunch of graphs which are obviously wrong from the airsoft trajectory project, and you know what your right. Heavier objects do not maintain inertia longer because obviously newton was an idiot. So I am sorry for posting such hideously false information. I agree that we should all go buy some sweet matrix and crossman .12g bb's so that way we can shoot at least 750 feet.

07-B-169.gif

07-B-170.gif

07-B-171.gif

07-B-172.gif

07-B-174.gif

I apologize for making an open ended statement, and you guys punished that. Thats fine, but I have to post on several forums every week about heavier masses traveling further then lighter masses, so all I do is try to completely dispel that false concept.

nopes. have tested it before.... not intentionally though as the idea of heavy-weight bb's getting good range out of a week gun is simply illogical. i was plinking and i ran out of .20's. so i grabbed a handful .30's and loaded them into my cyma aep (only fires 170fps, but can get about 80-90ft off of .20's, so you know the hop is good) i fired a few and they began to drop as soon as they left the barrel, and went about 15ft. i upped the hop, they went straight for about 10ft, and then slowly dropped off landing at about 30-40ft. i upped the hop to the max and they curved up a tiny bit, and then dropped at about 20-25ft. so no. as can be expected, the increased weight, did not increase the range. the only reason the .30's went farther than the rest is because 260fps can still handle .30's.

if you throw a light ball, it will not go that far because it does not retain its energy as long. if you throw a comfortably hefty ball, it should go pretty far because it retains its energy a long time. if you throw a really heavy rock, its not going to go very far as you dont have enough force to get it moving at a good speed.

dont believe me? fair enough. test it yourself. its the best way to go anyway rite? im sure you have, or can get hold of a cheap spring pistol firing at about 150-250fps. shove some .43's into there and shoot it.

Archived