BB comparison

sirrith

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess it shows that the "best" choice of pellets is actually down to the conditions and environment you play in. Windy conditions certainly make the heavier pellets a more viable choice. As I say I favoured 0.30g as a general purpose pellet for all but the most windy days, although now I am using a much higher powered rifle, the 0.28g cope better than you might expect.

I now have access to a high powered microscope, so intend to take some photo's of different pellet's surfaces to post up here soon.

Good Hunting ;)

Testing BB's in windy conditions and saying stuff like "it was good", "better", etc means nothing...

Please take the time to shoot at least 3-5 three-shot groups from supported position, windless condition (in the middle of woods or indoors), at carefully measured distances (no shorter than 25 meters) and put the numbers here - along with the fps variance and hopup type of the rifle.

I'll 3rd the Guarder hpm .28 thing. In fact, if ya look back I was raging about them ages ago.

I know Trash had no luck with them, so they wont suit every one, but I suspect that is down to fps.

I use them between 400 & 500 & find that other than requiring a little more hop(& the price tag :P ), they are almost indistinguishable from sgms.

Tried them at fps's from 550-650 & they were poop!

& I agree about wolf. ;)

Greg.

Good to know, I still have around 9K of Guarder, so plenty to test. :)

BTW, we tested the dark green Blaster Pro .28s and I can second someone who said earlier that they work OK from high-velocity rifles. Problem is the colour. :unsure:

No luck with the rest of Blaster heavy BBs.

so judging from what ive read here, S II S .3's are a safe bet as far as .3 bb's go?

bearing in mind ill be running a 150 spring, 603 inner, teflon mods, no airbrake...

I don't know if the SIIS 0.3g bb's are the same as the 0.33g that I have got at the moment, but if they are then be very careful when you get them. They are made from a comparatively soft material, so soft you can score them with your fingernails...

I found MARUZEN 0.30g are similar and are very soft and chalky. The SIIS 0.30g are OK in my experience but not exceptional. I think higher powered guns show up the imperfections in pellets far more. For example the cheap Elite Airsoft 0.30g I use in my (1 Joule) MK23 are brilliant in the stock pistol , however in a (3 Joule) m40a1 gas rifle they are all over the place.

After more testing I suggest 0.29g SGM are easily worth it, in a higher powered rifle. I tested it wth 0.36g Digicon (orange label) and found them to be be pretty poor even in the wind (consider it was 8-12mph most of the time on the day of testing). 0.29g SGM were good but I had to drop the HOP abit to keep them more stable in the conditions. Flat range was reduced from how I would set the gun on a calm day or indoor range.

I'm editing the video now and hope to have it posted soon. ;)

Good Hunting :)

I just ordered some white straight .36's.

I'll hopfully have them tested by next weekend.

Hey, I would like to know your opinion on these ones for sure.

I just got a pack of them also. Shot a few from close range with my Mauser SR Pro Tactical, seemed to be okay, nothing special.

Also did a few long shots outside but since there was some wind then I can not really tell much.

As soon as I get into an indoor range I will definetly give feedback.

Btw. I got them from www.begadi.com which is in Germany, they also sell to UK!

I think that a 1000bb 0.46g white straight pack was 21 euros.

Bjorn

I think that a 1000bb 0.46g white straight pack was 21 euros.

0.46g in white? From Straight??

Well I just checked out Begadi and found these BB's from TFC. Never heard of the company before, but I've bought 2 bags from them to try out. If nothing else, they'll help me zero my rifle and set the hop unit properly for the grey 0.43g bb's. It's damn impossible to tell when you've got the hop set just right when you're looking down the side of the barrel...

As I said, at the very least it'll allow me to view the flight path of the BB without using the scope, so I can adjust the hop properly for the Straight ammo.

If you cannot see the pellets flight path through the scope, the chance to shoot and hit long range targets is far reduced. If you cannot adjust for wind and range through feedback from the pellets flightpath, then follow up shots are still guessing like the first. You need white pellets to hit long ranged targets in game situations (ie lob shots and windage).

Good hunting ;)

I didn't mean that Bushman, I was referring to the amount of hop being applied. I've got my scope zero'd, but you can't acurately see if it's overhopping by too much or not. By using orange bb's I can watch the BB by eye, and tune the hop ever so gently until it's flying straight, with a small rise at the end.

After all, I'm using an APS-2 and I want to take advantage of the much finer hop adjustment ;)

I didn't mean that Bushman, I was referring to the amount of hop being applied. I've got my scope zero'd, but you can't acurately see if it's overhopping by too much or not.

Sorry, I don't understand a word of this... Most of the time I see the full trajectory of the white BBs through my scope. So I'm not sure what is the purpose of a different coloured, inferior BB, which will behave very differently (especially on longer ranges) than my primary BB. :unsure:

Maybe I forgot to add, I prefer to use 0.43g ammo. Which of course is grey and not easily visible to the naked eye. Of course I can see it through the scope, but I do alter the hop setting for different ammo from time to time.

The whole purpose of using a bright coloured 0.43g ammo is so I can see how much hop is being applied. Which I will observe by looking down the side of the gun instead of through the scope. That way, I can see whether or not it's overhopping. Catch my drift now? ;)

Well the orange 0.43's came through today. Only took 3 days to come from Germany, not bad at all :)

The ammo isn't top-notch quality but it's good enough. No visible seam lines, but there are some minor deformities on some of the BB's, nothing a sift through won't sort out. And considering there are only 500 in a bag, it's not going to be that bad to do.

The BB's worked exactly as I wanted them to - I've not adjusted the hop unit to just the right level for 0.43g BB's. The straight ammo has got a lovely flat-then-rise trajectory now :). Additionally, what I plan to do is put a single orange 0.43g BB in each magazine first of all, then fill them up with the grey Straight ammo. That way, I'll know exactly when my mags are empty, without the need to count the rounds or risk damage to the feed lip ;)

Archived