BB comparison

sirrith

I got some 0.87 steel BBs today from Bjorn

did a little test with them, rifle is KJW M700 built on CO2, right now i have only xtreme 0.3s which are quite accurate bullets but compared to 0.87 steel bullets they are complete £@£*/2$! its just sick how accurate they are, at 50m i hit EXACTLY the same spot every time, with xtreme 0.3 it was impossible, also the 0.87 arrives to the target a bit faster

tomorrow ill try to do a 70m, 80m and maybe even longer distance tests

btw can anyone give some advice on selecting a hard hop rubber? my hop was fully on and it didnt get enough spin, it needs just a bit more (edit: VSR rubbers fit my rifle, or maybe im going to get PSG1 barrel, i guess PSG1 has different rubber?)

oh and the surface of the BBs is super smooth, like a mirror

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would go for a nineball hop up rubber and I personally don't use barrels that are tighter than 6.05mm when I use the steel bb as it has a larger diameter then other bbs. Steel: 6.00mm(exactly), Standard bb: 5.90mm give or take. The standard bbs aren't perfectly round either so it can show alot of different diameter readings depending on the sides youre meshuring it on. The steel bbs seem to be near perfect in roundness and diameter. I have also had alot of good results with the bgs hop up unit and rubber when using steel bbs.

Edit: I only use steel bbs for long range shots 90m+. I wouln't use or recomend the useage of steel bbs on skirmish sites where the engagement range is very close!

those steel BB's won't and should never be allowed anywhere near a skirmish site.

I completely agree, a steel BB at 2 Joule is definitely more lethal than a plastic BB at 2 Joule. :rolleyes:

I'd worry about ruining the bore (brass vs steel, steel vs soft steel) instead of the BB material.

I would go for a nineball hop up rubber and I personally don't use barrels that are tighter than 6.05mm when I use the steel bb as it has a larger diameter then other bbs. Steel: 6.00mm(exactly), Standard bb: 5.90mm give or take. The standard bbs aren't perfectly round either so it can show alot of different diameter readings depending on the sides youre meshuring it on. The steel bbs seem to be near perfect in roundness and diameter. I have also had alot of good results with the bgs hop up unit and rubber when using steel bbs.

Edit: I only use steel bbs for long range shots 90m+. I wouln't use or recomend the useage of steel bbs on skirmish sites where the engagement range is very close!

what bbs are you using for close ranges? i think ill also order some 0.43 BBs, straight and those orange ones on begadi. 0.3 was too light in heavy wind at 50m, we were shooting eachother with Bjorn and just laughed because both of us missed atleast 2meters. So thats why i wanted to try those steel bbs

fuze, how accurate is your rifle from 90m with steel bbs?

sorry for double post but now i made some tests

55m A4 paper constantly

90m torso sized(its even a bit smaller) target constantly (i was using 6x zoom for the first time, usually im doing all the shots with 3x), i have hit that target from 90m with 0.3 xtreme only twice!! and a few times with 0.43

i also tried an oil barrel from 125m but i didnt hit it, i need someone to stand near it to tell where the bullets land because it was quite hard to see them from that range

in conclusion those BBs are extremely accurate

i guess im going to use them for long range shots only, im going to try them on myself first to see how much they hurt

Have you crono'd the steel bb's?

In my previous gas rifles my energy output increased by 50%+ with them due to them staying in the barrel for so much longer. Thus why on my field I measure FPS with the heaviest rounds you are going to use and you are limited by that, not cronoing with .2's and assuming the gun will perform similarly with a bb 4 times heavier.

90m torso sized(its even a bit smaller) target constantly

I've hard time beleiving that... At 3 Joule... Maybe it was a little more with that CO2 rig? 4-6 Joules? Maybe it was a cow sized torso? :)

My fully dialed up Firefly hard hopup is not producing enough spin for a .36 at 3 Joules, not for a .87...

So where can we get those "magic" steel BBs?

I've hard time beleiving that... At 3 Joule... Maybe it was a little more with that CO2 rig? 4-6 Joules? Maybe it was a cow sized torso? :)

My fully dialed up Firefly hard hopup is not producing enough spin for a .36 at 3 Joules, not for a .87...

So where can we get those "magic" steel BBs?

you can get them from begadi.com

i can measure that box for you tomorrow

maybe i can even make a video

i want to try some 0.43 bbs because 0.87 does a heavy bang when hitting metal from long range and i guess it hurts a lot, probably shoots through some cheap goggles too....

now i tried king arms hop rubber, it was better with 0.3bbs but i had to aim very high from 70meters with 0.87

and i have chronoed my rifle, it was 171,5m/s with 0.2g bb

wow... so basically you shoot at people using steel bbs with a 12.7J rifle?

remind me never to play with you.

hehe no, sorry i forgot to add that its with 0.2g bb

im leaving 0.3 bbs for games where i dont make any long range shots, max 50m. Its hard to hit anything farther than 50m with 0.3bb unless there isnt any wind, which is very rare.

i cant wait until i can try straight 0.43 i hope they are good enough for long range shots with wind

for those who are afraid of pain from 0.87g bbs

i shot my friend with them from 50m today to the back, he said that its like 120ms/390fps AEG from 5m

so they arent so bad from far away, but from close they will probably hurt like a baseball bat :P

It doesn`t seem right and perhaps i am looking at it wrong but According to my madbull chrono a gun firing at 555 fps would be firing at 2.84j with o.2 but

3.27 J with 0.23

3.55 J with 0.25

4.26 J with 0.30

4.69 J with 0.33

6.11 J with 0.43

6.08 J with 0.89

So i am not sure what 170m/s equates to in fps but if its over 500 and this is right then it is firing alot more than 3 J but according to this a 0.89 will hit with less power than a 0.43.

It would also mean that if there was a limit of 1J and you had a gun firing at 320 fps which is under 1J and you used 0.25`s you would be over the limit and be around 1.2J.

Is this right or am i missing something here.

It doesn`t seem right and perhaps i am looking at it wrong but According to my madbull chrono a gun firing at 555 fps would be firing at 2.84j with o.2 but

3.27 J with 0.23

3.55 J with 0.25

4.26 J with 0.30

4.69 J with 0.33

6.11 J with 0.43

6.08 J with 0.89

So i am not sure what 170m/s equates to in fps but if its over 500 and this is right then it is firing alot more than 3 J but according to this a 0.89 will hit with less power than a 0.43.

It would also mean that if there was a limit of 1J and you had a gun firing at 320 fps which is under 1J and you used 0.25`s you would be over the limit and be around 1.2J.

Is this right or am i missing something here.

we have a bit different rules here, usually its something like this:

120ms/393fps for AEGs - semi only indoors when 120 or a bit over

150ms/492fps for machine guns - cant attack from less than 15m + secondary weapon for indoors

150ms/492fps for semi auto snipers - cant attack from less than 15m + secondary for indoors

200ms/656fps for bolt action snipers - cant attack from less than 20m + secondary for close combat

thanks for the info about power with different weights! ill compare straight 0.43 with those 0.87 bbs and then ill see if those 0.87 bbs are still useful or not.....but im quite sure that im going to use them for 50m+ shots, because wind doesnt affect them as much as it does to lighter bbs

All i am stating is that according to the madbull chrono at 555 fps there shouldn`t be much of a difference in impact power between a 0.43 and a 0.89 bb. So if that is right then it shouldn`t be any more painful to be hit by the 0.89 than a 0.43 if anything the 0.43 will actually hurt slightly more.

All i am stating is that according to the madbull chrono at 555 fps there shouldn`t be much of a difference in impact power between a 0.43 and a 0.89 bb. So if that is right then it shouldn`t be any more painful to be hit by the 0.89 than a 0.43 if anything the 0.43 will actually hurt slightly more.

The laws of physics disagree, double the mass at the same speed = double the energy

Its not something i know anything about and am only going by the results on the madbull chrono but a 0.89 wouldn`t be going at the same speed ie fps as a 0.43. According to the madbull chrono the energy would however increase with the weight of the bbs untill you get above 0.43 and then it starts to decrease somewhere between 0.43 and 0.89. However the same chrono measuring a 0.2 bb at 326fps which equals 0.97 J measures

0.23 at 1.12 J

0.25 at 1.21 J

0.30 at 1.46 J

0.33 at 1.60 J

0.43 at 2.09 J

0.89 at 4.32 J

So with a lower Fps it doesn`t read the energy as the same for a 0.43 and 0.89 so it could be a mistake with the chrono. Thats why i put it up here so someone with a more scientific mind can explain it to me.

Sorry, I'm slightly confused about this. Have you actually taken the same AEG, and chronoed it with these different weights of BBs? Same with the sniper rifle. Or did you put the .2g BB through the chrono, then use some technical joggery pokey and get a whole lof of different juele readings?

Because it seems to me, all you've done is chrono it on a .2 and assume the chrono knows what energy the gun will output with a .3 ect.

That's not how it works mate. The chrono gives you a FPS rating for the bb you put though. You then tell it the FPS to get the power output in J. Actaully try putting a .3 through it. You'll find the energy stays the same, and the FPS changes. And i've no idea what you were doing with the sniper rifle chronoing...

Hope that helps.

Archived