BB comparison

sirrith

There be a thread for this mate, but yes, in wind a heavier BB will perform better than a lighter one. You must keep in mind though, that to keep heavier BB's traveling at longer ranges, you will have to up the energy output from the rifle.

EDIT: And for a wealth of information on heavier BB's:

http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...howtopic=104888

Good luck!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ex. in my L96, if i use .12s, theyfly to 90 feet (30 meters) and spin out of control

As much to do with the poor quality of the BB as the power behind it I'm sure.

I run my VSR at 515fps with a .3g bb and it's plenty heavy enough to stay "stable."

In a 2.32j rifle (500fps with a .2) a .43 will go the same distance as a .3. At my power level, 3j. A .43 will go further. They maintain the momentum for longer. And get to 70m faster than a .3 does. But the .3 is more accurate due to the fact it's made more round and smoother. I think the word stable is a poor one, and causes misunderstanding.

Heavier BBs are generally used to negate wind effect, and for extra range.

as anotherjesus said heavy bbs are mainly used to help cancell the effect from wind they also can give extra range and more impact on hitting.

BUT most people find they arnt as accurate, mainly because the bbs arnt made well(im talking about the jump from .29g to .43g, you should use .29g bbs and up in 500+ rifles

More accuracy: A heavier BB is less sensitive to any inconsistencies. This means that it'll have a more stable spin even if your hop-up isn't perfect, or your pneumatics are giving slightly varying muzzle velocities. It is also more resistant to marginal weight inconsistencies in the BB itself. A heavier BB of equal quality is mechanically more accurate, and it's more resistant to slight breezes blowing along its path.

More range: A heavier BB typically has more muzzle energy when fired from the same weapon, and it has clearly more momentum compared to lighter ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum On top of that, a heavy BB faces less resistance because it's slower, and it retains the energy better. (This goes for the spin as well as forward movement.)

Quicker reach: Because the heavier BB doesn't slow down as quickly, it will actually reach far away targets before a light one does, despite the lower initial muzzle velocity.

The only reason why you wouldn't want to use heavy BBs, is if your Airsoft gun isn't powerful enough to shoot them at a decent velocity.

-Sale

what would be the best fps range for .25 gram bbs?

360-420?

Pellet choice is a personal thing I guess. I use heavier pellets as a rule.

I would suggest around 320fps or lower suits 0.25g and you should try to use 0.28g at least in more powerful rifles.

Good Hunting ;)

More range: A heavier BB typically has more muzzle energy when fired from the same weapon, and it has clearly more momentum compared to lighter ones. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum On top of that, a heavy BB faces less resistance because it's slower, and it retains the energy better. (This goes for the spin as well as forward movement.)

Quicker reach: Because the heavier BB doesn't slow down as quickly, it will actually reach far away targets before a light one does, despite the lower initial muzzle velocity.

The only reason why you wouldn't want to use heavy BBs, is if your Airsoft gun isn't powerful enough to shoot them at a decent velocity.

-Sale

Contradict your self there a bit?

I found last year (march i think, results are in the threads some where). that 510fps with .2 gives the same muzzle velocity as a .36 firing at 380fps. both were 2.39/2.4j the 0.01j consitancy would be down to the variation average over 10 shots.

Uh, there's no contradiction there, even though it does look that way, what Sale is saying is some guns(actually most high powered guns) have a little bit of power extra that can't be imparted onto a 0.2g bb because its so light and moves so fast, it's left the barrel before the piston has completed a full stroke or all the gas has expanded etc. so useing a heavier bb will result in an FPS which doesn't match up correctly to the energy E.G. a gun firing 500 fps with .02 should fire 370 with 0.36 but might actually do 380, which even though its lower velocity would be higher energy(around 2.4J next to 2.3j).

As for the slower bb getting there first, that's the tortoise an the hare, the light bb gets slowed down a lot more by air resistance so even though it starts out going 500 fps, by the time it reaches a reasonable distance, such as the one most sites will toe your behind for shooting under with a gun like that, its slowed down considerably the heavy bb, less affected by air resistance will still be closer to the velocity it left with, it might not be enough to overtake the light bb close up but at the middle-long ranges of the gun it would be.

Uh, there's no contradiction there, even though it does look that way, what Sale is saying is some guns(actually most high powered guns) have a little bit of power extra that can't be imparted onto a 0.2g bb because its so light and moves so fast, it's left the barrel before the piston has completed a full stroke or all the gas has expanded etc. so useing a heavier bb will result in an FPS which doesn't match up correctly to the energy E.G. a gun firing 500 fps with .02 should fire 370 with 0.36 but might actually do 380, which even though its lower velocity would be higher energy(around 2.4J next to 2.3j).

As for the slower bb getting there first, that's the tortoise an the hare, the light bb gets slowed down a lot more by air resistance so even though it starts out going 500 fps, by the time it reaches a reasonable distance, such as the one most sites will toe your behind for shooting under with a gun like that, its slowed down considerably the heavy bb, less affected by air resistance will still be closer to the velocity it left with, it might not be enough to overtake the light bb close up but at the middle-long ranges of the gun it would be.

Ah ok.

But my chrono results showed that there was no difference in J of the velocity, other than 0.01j which can be put down to the average of 10 shots.

Pellet choice is a personal thing I guess. I use heavier pellets as a rule.

I would suggest around 320fps or lower suits 0.25g and you should try to use 0.28g at least in more powerful rifles.

Good Hunting ;)

Ok, thanks. My field only stocks .2's and .25's and if we bring any thing else in, we get banned. =[

is there any particular reason behind that?

it seems strange how the heavier ammo is banned. as long as the muzzle energy is restricted to the same level. i dont see the problem. got me curious now

I have no clue. Something about how selling bbs helps pay for the field or something. The highest fps we can have is 400. .25 just got reintroduced and the site owner is allowing 8mm in .

this is one of the reasons i dislike my field =[

The highest fps you can have is 400fps, and there now allowing 8mm bb's in? whats the max fps their allowed? because if its the same as a 6mm (400fps) that aint right lol.

why dont you ask them to buy some heavier bb's on your behalf and pay the little extra, or buy some of your own bb's and then just replace the ones they give you with yours.

dont know if it is in here or not. atlest i dident find it: Where should i buy my bb's? im looking for .4+ and a good .35 or something semiliar.

G+P/SIIS do .33s, Digicon do .36s as well as .43s but they are slowly becoming harder to find due to manufacturer discontinuing the product iirc.

Archived