BB comparison

sirrith

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After reading a lot of threads, including this one about different bb-s, specially the Xtreme Precision ones, I though I would give them a try in a VSR G-Spec I had lying around.

This is a test conducted indoors, using F1 Chrony Beta Master. Airsoft sniper rifle used in this test is a custom built TM VSR G-Spec that shoot around 180m/s w/ 0.2g bb-s. Now I must say that this is not a conventional rifle since most of the internals are custom milled such as all the sears, piston and spring guide. Oh and btw it uses two springs, yes I did say 2 springs. One spring is the stock g-spec 7mm spring and the other is a standard AEG spring aroung the M170-M180 mark :D Now that is custom! Unfortunately the stock hopup rubber is rather old and has got a lot of use, so it does not shoot as well as it should probably.

Hopup was on a setting for 0.3g bb-s aka half way on with stock rubber.

Now these are the results based on a 10 shot group.

Tokyo Marui 0.20g bb-s.

176.7-185.2 m/s, average 181.1 m/s aka 3.28J

Xtreme Presicion 0.30g bb-s , 1-st test.

155.0-157.1 m/s, average 156.0 m/s aka 3.66J

Digicon white 0.36g bb-s.

130.5-141.6 m/s, average 137.9 m/s aka 3.43J

Marui Superior Grade 0.30g bb-s.

144.5-150.6 m/s, average 148.7 m/s aka 3.31J

Xtreme Presicion 0.30g bb-s, 2-nd test.

156.9-159.2 m/s, average 157.8 m/s aka 3.73J

Now as you can see I did two test with the Xtreme Precision 0.30g bb-s because it seemed VERY odd, but as you can see it is totally confirmed - these bb-s rock!

I am waiting for the FireFly Hard hopup rubber and also KM Urathene RH55 rubber to do some further testing and also field tests.

Bjorn

Interesting in terms of barrel exit speed for sure and certaintly, I'd noticed the anomoly as I read down your results the first time and smiled as you repeated the test.

Range an accuracy are the other factors which are important to understand. For a rifle such as yours, 25m range is probably irresponsible [to shoot at someone] and therefore only useful for data completeness, but 50m and 70m range results would be interesting.

Do you think you may make some tests?

Good Hunting

Interesting in terms of barrel exit speed for sure and certaintly, I'd noticed the anomoly as I read down your results the first time and smiled as you repeated the test.

Range an accuracy are the other factors which are important to understand. For a rifle such as yours, 25m range is probably irresponsible [to shoot at someone] and therefore only useful for data completeness, but 50m and 70m range results would be interesting.

Do you think you may make some tests?

Good Hunting

Yup, I tested at 50m with the same Extreme Presicion 0.3g bb-s and I got a shot group a bit larger then an A4 paper. I got about 60% of hits on the paper though.

When I get a new hopup rubber I will do some serious testing for days probably.

ive got a KM urathene RH55 rubber here myself, am going to test it in 2 weeks.

anybody already tried one? in comparason to a firefly hard?

Lol, I am still waiting for your comparison but I already ordered the KM Urathene rubber also. Probably I will get it out of the customs after you have made the tests, but still, it will be very good to compare our two results. Btw, I have a KM Heat AK-47 tightbore in my VSR with a cut in groove and sides for the houp rubber and vsr hopup unit.

We're all waiting for you to do it, TheBauer :P

<_<

Bjorn

Ah whoops.

Well i have a KM rubber here now, unfortunatly my testing consists of skirmishing testing with a few shots down the range to set the hop on the day.

i dont really do much target shooting as i dont have the space, and when im at a skirmish id rather be playing 90% of the time than sitting out testing guns, i feel that the best test would be what your actually using it for.

my next game is 12th and 13th i might not be making the 12th but i am definatly going on the 13th, and i will be using the KM rubber for one of these days to try it.

dude if you want to take a drive out to site tomorrow i will be done work by 4. didnt do m sights today.

sounds like a plan matey,

ive got some stuff to do in the morning, but i rekon i would be done by 4 no problems. i shall give you a buzz.

Right Devell will be here in a mo to pick me up then were going to go off to our site as its only 20mins away, he wants to zero his rifle and im going to test the range/ accuracy of the KM RH55 hop rubber.

ill report back later with photos and results.

Right time for the write up.

First part; KM RH55 Hop Rubber

Initial Impressions:

Feels quite nice and rubbery, more so than the firefly, and definatly feels 'harder'

in comparason the firefly nipples seems to stick lower than the KM one, this gave me reservations as i thought if im having trouble with the firefly overhopping .36 this KM one isnt going to do the job.

Fitting:

Fitted the hop rubber and added a few layers of PTFE tape as normal but i was a bit concerned with this:

kmrubber.jpg

as you can see there looks to be a bit of space around the hop rubber and the cylidner head. this could be sorted with some tape around the nozzle. my fps recordings on the chrono were fluctuating 10fps though, from 480-490fps

with the firefly im getting spot on 499-501fps

Shooting:

Next up is the range:

range.jpg

thats the range im shooting, each bottle is slightly smaller than a human torso and the ranges are listed there.

Our engagement distance is 20m, but i personaly think thats to low and as such use a self imposed of 30m even at the 37m target i hit where im aiming every time so *albatross*/leg shots are popular as they hurt less.

55m how ever running .36 Digicon non coated, im getting bout 8/10 shots hitting the bottle or the tree or going an inch to the right, there was a slight breeze which was crossing the shooting range how ever.

the SGM's at this range were pretty much equal with consistancy but were more affected by the wind and was more like 7/10 hitting.

60mtree.jpg

The tree with the red dot is 60m the .36 were hitting this and going straighter a hella lot more than the SGM's this wasnt shooting into the crosswind though. but still, as ive said previously ive always found the digicon ammo to be more consistant in my pdi 6.01mm barrel than the SGM's every one raves about.

the main thing is i can over hop .36 now which allows me to get maximum range which is bout 60-65m straight before dropping this is at just under 500fps.

pretty much guaranteed first hit at 40-50m then 50 - 60m first or 2nd shot.

Hiya,

Im a dedicated sniper myself and my main (or maim :P ) weapon is an aps2*. Tweeked to as happy as i can get with it i was thinking of looking at some alternative ammo. Before i was using SGMs but they were making my wallet a little too light.

changed to G&P (or perhaps its guarder) 0.28g's. They are brill for the price i got them for back then (~£4 for 1800) quality wise they wernt on par with SGM as i spotted a few deformaties (perhaps 4 in a bag?) but shooting is beaut. bought 4 bags and used them for nearly 2yrs. Now looking in the market again to see if there is any improvement in BB precision making.

Recently bought some "Blaster Pro 0.28g's" in dark green colour (qty 3000).

Initial testing in the garden (have a ~35m garden) I couldnt see where the trail goes half the time! [which is a very big plus point]. Unfortunatly the consistancy and the visual quality of the BB looked a little poor.. you can see the joinings of the 2 halves on majority of the BB's in the bottle I have. Out of the 10 shots about 6-7 were fairly spot on (i say fairly because i dont scope my scope to 35m) the rest sort of flew off. I've noticed they seem VERY soft, softer than excel's and softer than any other BB's i've seen. The piston head chips the bb at times when pushing it forward (i dont know if aps2 owners notice this but when ur out of rounds u; cant push the piston all the way forward again unless you've rounded off the mag a little, this is sort of what the piston is trying to do with the BB at times).

Scope wise i normally use x4 zoom to aim. I dont generally like having any larger than that as i dont think theres any need of it. BUT these green bb's I need x6 zoom to actually see them majority of the time and this is in favourable lighting conditions. Will give a better insight on these when i test them on the field.

By the way.. any recommendations of precision coloured BB's? read the 1st 2 pages and last 4 pages of this thread and i gave up :D . it seems many of you like Xtreme 0.3g bb's? (my aps2 uses things around 0.28-0.3g's I believe for best results)

*I also have a M40XB in the middle of kitting up, hoping it'll be even more consistant than my aps2 but currently looking a little doubtful :huh: , time will tell.

so i've been reading from earlier on in the forum, and im now wondering- wont the .43 graphites hurt alot more? or are they just as hard as plastic bb's?

The hardness of the plastic doesn't have much to do with how much it will 'hurt'. The level of pain is related to the amount of kinetic energy that the BB is carrying at the point of impact (amongst other things...).

Take for example two BB's. One of them is a 0.2g, the other a 0.43g. Assume you have a sniper rifle firing at 500fps with the 0.2g, but the 0.43g BB will only fire at 360fps (for arguments sake, it will differ). But both BB's will be carrying the same amount of energy. The heavier BB will lose it's energy at a slower rate than the 0.2g, so over the course of it's flight path the 0.43g BB will, in effect 'hurt more' over any given distance compared to the 0.2g BB. It's this retention of energy that allows the heavier round to have a more stable flight path, and travel further.

But either way, if you hit someone with a sniper round they are going to feel it. My personal feeling is that you shouldn't worry too much about the pain you inflict on your target. Now I'm not advocating head shots (and I'm not starting that debate again either...) or intentionally aiming for the love spuds, but at the end of the day people get hurt when they are hit, regardless of how many times they are shot!

One thing I will say - if you are going to use 0.43g ammunition, try your hardest to find the non-graphite coated versions. They work so much better than the coated variety.

Anyway that's my little rant over :)

Never heard of them, but I am sure that the problem with those pellets, would be the colour. Black pellets at high velocity will be impossible to follow, once they drop below their flat stage of the flightpath. Therefore, you will not be able to compensate at long range, or in strong crosswinds.

The idea of black pellets is sound enough. Opponents struggle to see incoming shots, even if looking in your direction. However, it works in reverse and a failure, to see were all your shots are going, will reduce your "effective" range overall.

Therefore, I guess the pellets would suit dusk or urbanised sniping with more limited ranges.

0.32g is a desirable weight. I hope they turn out to be high quality. This sport needs more choice of pellet weights.

Good Hunting ;)

Longer range ... late flat stage [as Bushman put it] and bordering lob shots.

No argument that darker coloured BBs offer no visual feedback and white are better. Also, I don't buy the argument that they really protect the shooters position much either at longer range .... that's were your camo and fieldcraft comes in.

Shorter range ... just outside MED and still in the flat stage.

I think there might just be an argument. I do think there can be a place for darker coloured BBs to help protect concealment at shorter range. There is much less shot difficulty [in terms of distance]. The closer you are to your target, the less effective your camo/guille becomes being my argument, hence any advantage is a good thing.

Just my opinion .... I've a second VSR10 mag, with black ICS 0.25g loaded for select situations.

Ideally, same weight and type would be preferred. [The BB's were bought when I started first, back when I thought I knew what I was doing :unsure:]

Good Hunting

The only person that can see a high speed bb is the person about to be hit, people around may have a general idea where it came from, but with proper fieldcraft and/or decoys they can be delt with as well.

No rifle is completely silent(yet) so I dont feel its a greater risk to use white bb's than other colors, one unsung bonus of whites is if you graze a round off a magpouch or canteen it will ricochet off in a random direction, I have had people who did not notice they were hit themselves but heard the round, think I am in a completely different area because they backtraced what direction the bb bounced in not the original path.

Black bb's are excellent for your sidearm because of the shorter range, fps, and (generally) higher rate of fire and can lead to an extra kill or two when you are on your last stand concealed at extremely close range and need to cause casualties for your team.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived