Army SF & SOF Pics

Yep, it's a UMP, as its receiver is much more angular than the MP5.

Ah, this is my kind of thread. I happened to have a bunch of random US army SF pictures around.

sfoperatorwithkhakim4filf2.jpg

The guy to the right (in the blue) was Earl Filmore. People who has read Bowden's BHD should know who this is. CAG operators providing PSD for 'Stormin Norman' in Desert Storm.

deltapsdin91gs2.jpg

One of my favorites...

sfoperatorssecurerooftomu1.jpg

A still shot taken from a video. CAG operators practicing raiding a building....while wearing blue jeans.

deltaoperatorsrappelroogj0.jpg

And a funny picture...Green Beret operator testing out AA a couple years back while still operating in A-stan.

sfoperatorplayingaawj7.jpg

Edited by Souske
  • Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SF use a lot of personally obtained equipment, but what are (or were) they issued?

Special Operations Forces Equipment Advanced Requirements (SPEAR)

gallery_2496_1103_20095.jpg

Overview:

Special Operations Forces Equipment Advanced Requirements (SPEAR) is the United States Special Operations Command’s (USSOCOM) modernization effort for the joint (Army, Navy, and Air Force) Special Operations Forces (SOF) operator. SPEAR will focus on four areas of improvement in personal equipment from 1996 - 2005 including body armor and load carriage. SPEAR’s Body Armor/Load Carriage System (BALCS) consists of body armor, an equipment load carrying subsystem, and a backpack subsystem.

Description:

The BALCS maximizes ballistic protection, buoyancy compensation, and load carrying capacity, while minimizing the burdens of weight, bulk and heat stress.

The BALCS components are:

Body Armor: Provides protection against fragmentation, handgun, and rifle threats. The armor system contains a soft armor vest; front and back inteinterchangeable upgrade plates, and modular neck and groin protection. The neutrally buoyant soft vest is available in four sizes (S-XL); plates are sized with the vest. Approximate weight of a Medium vest is 6.5 lbs.; the Medium plates are approximately 6 lbs. each.

Equipment Load Carrying Subsystem (ELCS): The modular pocketing and harness system (H-Harness or Vest) allows mission tailoring of load and system configuration. The ELCS is compatible with the SPEAR Body Armor and Backpack Subsystem, and provides optimum compatibility with individual equipment and weapons. The positive buoyant ELCS comes in one size, and features easy adjustments for shoulder, waist, and chest.

Backpack Subsystem: The modified commercial Backpack Subsystem contains a backpack, patrol pack, and butt pack. The backpack’s state-of-the-art internal frame affords a stable platform sufficient to carry 120 lbs. effectively. The backpack transfers load efficiently from the shoulders to the waist and provides adjustments to fit the 5th - 95th percentile male SOF operator. The butt pack attaches to ELCS or the backpack; the patrol pack attaches to the backpack, and is compatible with the other SPEAR BALCS components. The one size subsystem weighs 17 lbs. Load capacity are as follows:

* Backpack: 120 lbs.

* Patrol pack 50 lbs.

* Butt pack: 13 lbs.

M4A1 SOPMOD (Special Operations Peculiar Modification to M4 Carbine)

gallery_2496_1103_42808.jpg

* Knight's Armament Company (KAC) Rail Interface System (RIS) forearm

* KAC's vertical foregrip

* KAC's backup iron sight (BUIS)

* Trijicon's Model TA01NSN 4x32mm Advanced Combat Optical Gunsight (ACOG)

* Improved combat sling which allows for secure cross body/patrol carry.

* Insight Technology's AN/PEQ-2 Infrared Target Pointer/Illuminator/Aiming Laser (ITPIAL)

* Insight Technology's Visible Light Illuminator (VLI)

* Trijicon's Model RX01M4A1 reflex sight

* KAC's quick-detach sound suppressor (QDSS)

* KAC's quick-attach M203 grenade launcher mount

* Quick-attach sight for use with the M203

* M203 with a 9-inch barrel

* Insight Technology's AN/PEQ-5 visible laser

* Carrying/storage case for kit accessories

SFLCS (Special Forces Load Cary Equipment?)

gallery_2496_1103_59135.jpg

gallery_2496_1103_244260.jpg

gallery_2496_1103_132251.jpg

I know a lot less about this one, though it seems to be a big grab bag of Eagle Industries kit in Khaki. Some key points of interest are:

* Low vis armor is made by Safariland and not Paca

* Plate Carriers seem to have sewn in soft IIIA armor which cannot be removed from the carrier without modification. That means you're less likely to see RRV and Back Plate Carrier combos, as well as Plate Carrier and Low Vis Armor combos which were commonly used by SEALs as well as Force Recon Batalions

* CIRAS issued is Maritime version, not Land.

Forgot to mention that the backpack system sucked *albatross* and soon after SPEAR was issued the UM-21s were all over ebay.

If you look closely the SFLCS also contains some coyote brown gear. Also, according to the owner of the gear in those pictures not all of it is from Eagle.

The kit is also updated from time to time with smaller revision packs.

Backpack did indeed suck *albatross*, a lot of rucks got switched out with modded ALICE packs. That's a whole other ballgame though, there are so many mods, straps, and replacement frames to talk about. Here's mine:

alicelg01na6.jpg

alicelg02gt9.jpg

Pocket Mods were done at General Jackson's, outside of Fort Bragg. Frame is a cut down civvy plastic frame, which saw much use by SF teams a few years back. Not sure what the hell the padding's from.

Where did you get the info about there being CB gear in there? I've handled Eagle's CB up close and it doesn't look anything like what's in that bag.

From the guy who took those photos and to whom the kit was issued, on the lightfighter forum.

If you look at the photos then you'll see that the shingles, leg panels and the MAP are coyote brown.

Edit: M4Guru is his username and here's the list for SFLCS:

Modular assault pack

MBSS pouch w/ light holder

MBSS pouch w/o light holder x2

war belt suspenders

sub belt holster adapter x2

horizontal pouch adapter x2

squad casualty bag

19 round shotgun pouch

SR-25 mag pouch x4

3 mag shingle x6

barrett pouch x2

drop leg panel

MBITR pouch x2

breachers tool carrier with covers

Maritime CIRAS

Concealable BALCS carrier

neck collar, yoke, cock plate

plate carrier with cummerbund/sewn in soft armor inserts

Rhodesian Recon vest

Ranger H-harness

SFLCS deployment bag...bigger than 5 NATO bags

Hydration carrier

4X canteen/Nalgene pouches

FB 9mm single mag pouches x10

rigid NVG PVS-15 pouch 2x

med pouch BOK x2

weapons catch x2

shock tube pouch

charge pouch

frag pouch x4

detatchable lid 200rd SAW pouch x2

100rd SAW pouch X1

M4 Double(4) magpouch x12

M4 single(2) magpouch x12

signal pouch

pop flare upright

pop flare inverted

gas mask pouch

single point leg panel MLCS

medical utility pouch

shotgun pouch 24rd

padded MOLLE belt

To confirm that you said about the plate carriers and the colour, I quote:

It has no armor in the cummerbund. The soft armor in the vest is cut to fit the Eagle PC profile, not just a plate backer, and sewn directly to the vest i.e. non-removable.

All of it is in Coyote Brown except the CIRAS is in MJK.

Never trust the colours from a camera, especially when taken indoors under flash.

Edited by tinkle60

Perhaps a stoopid question.

I see some photos of operators in Woodland uniforms are these old phots or do they still use Woodland for green areas over the ACU????

ACU seems to work in Iraq, I don't want to start a debate over which is best, just interested if Woodland is still used/prefered for "Green" areas?

Thanks in advance

Carabus

:)

That Olka MBSS patrol pack matches the signature Ranger Green vests of the Rangers. Slick! Too bad they are now out of stock.

Are Olka rebranded Luckyfish too? I got mine direct from the manufacturer who definitely wasn't Olka.

Maybe it's trick of the light, because I've had it right up next to ranger green and it's definitely a darker shade of green.

Edited by tinkle60