Okay, here's the list of things to do and where we are so far:

- move to new server (complete)

- move all data and accounts (complete)

- shift DNS (complete)

- stabilise database (complete)

- purchase new license for IPB products (done)

(we're here)

Left to do:

- backup system before IPB upgrade and lock forums Saturday night (May 5th)

- organise and upgrade window for the forums/gallery and user's blogs (tentatively set for early hours May 6th.

- reopen forums post upgrade (Sunday afternoon)

- reskin forums post upgrade

- upgrade classifieds and review database system

Looking at the next thread down in this forum section might explain it.... ;)

And the system has already been altered - it's not a process underway or one that will be reversed. The system was massively abused and has now been removed. As that thread shows, the vast majority of users are glad to see the back of it in its previous form.

excuse me but why are we getting rid of the rep system or are is rep powers now only granted to mods and admins? i found it quite useful to be fair..... :)

cheers for the info

Quil

Nice! But please whatever you do with the redesign, don't go to a dark background with light text. It hurts my eyeses!! Also I like the whole light blue theme personally, so if the new version still had light blue borders and whatnot I'd be very happy. I'm sure whatever you guys come up with it'll look good though, so I'm sure I needn't worry.

Can't wait to see the new Arnies! Thanks. -Stewie.

I third it. I don't get why people make some sights so difficult to read. It's not that my eyesight is bad, I just don't want to turn up the contrast on my monitor to five times what it is right now and still not be able to read it.

This is a great skin, as it's got easy access to tons of different useful things without being in-your-face about it.

The forum skin will remain pretty similar to what we have now (I like it too).

Regards this becoming an openly viewable forum. That is something that is under consideration, however at this time I'm not inclined to open it to non-registered members as it is open to abuse. With a closed forum we have more control over issues regarding trolls etc.

I third it.  I don't get why people make some sights so difficult to read.  It's not that my eyesight is bad, I just don't want to turn up the contrast on my monitor to five times what it is right now and still not be able to read it.

To be picky, technically, light text on a dark background should be better for you and easier to read.

Why?

Well, a light background is brighter and, as a result, your retina closes up to block out the glare. This results in less light getting through and, thus, less clarity of the text.

Conversely, your retina opens up when you look at a dark background because it's darker. This means that the light text contrasts more with the dark background.

To give you extreme examples, if you shine a really bright light in somebodys eyes and then wave around a shoelace in front of them they won't be able to see it.

Conversely, in a totally dark room, even a very faint light is easily visible.

I agree though. I like Arnies like this. It looks "normal" rather than like, ummm, an interweb forum.

I actually think the forums should be viewable by the public, if only from an SEO standpoint. Once the spiders can see the actual content, the forums will turn up in many more Google searches (because more content is accessible), more people will view the site, and more people will join. Simple as that. Plus a lot of people don't actually join to see some info as people say, they often just leave.

Arnies is currently okay on SEO, but I'm sure it would shoot through the roof with public forums. There's no reason some of the most well-respected forums should be lagging behind some other sites (no mentions) when simply searching for "airsoft." It actually seems like there's very little competition in SEO for airsoft, as nobody's beaten Wikipedia - not even businesses.

Anyway, it's Arnie's choice for the public-private issue. At least the server load has eased up. B)

Thanks for the info, Stealth. I know people often use white on blue (like on PowerPoints) or whatever because it's easy on the eyes, but I don't like the look. I've also heard it said that dark backgrounds give sites the "underground" look. Yeah, right. Turns most people away, judging from this thread.

For the skins, why don't you install a few different ones but give people the option to choose which skin they use in their control section? A forum I used a few years ago had that option on IPB and it was excellent. :)

Edit - Or instead of doing lots of skins just do a re-skinned one but give the option to use the 'classic' skin. :P

Edited by Zink

Speaking from a moderating point of view, it's vastly easier to govern what goes on here when people have to be registered to even view. It means that previous issues with people wandering on here to randomly abuse members / the site in general are a thing of the past now.

Also, in terms of the site's speed, I'd much rather keep things as quickly as this, rather than risk the issues with potential slowdown by throwing open the site to the unregistered public again. :)

Just out of curiosity, would it be possible to reinstate peoples' missing rep points that originated from sales threads? I only ask as I'm predominately here to pick up sale bargains (I'm something of a collector) and my 30+ points were mostly from successful transaction.

I understand if it's not possible or feasible, but it would be nice to get them back rather than start from scratch ;).

Edit...

The rep system is likely to disappear completely in the next forum upgrade later on this month anyway, as there's a massive software upgrade due.

Oh well, bang goes that theory :D.

Edited by SWAT Strachan

Rep system is currently offline completely. We do not have a reputation system installed at the moment. We will be looking into the updated reputation system for sales post software upgrade.

I'm waiting on getting graphics sorted before we upgrade the software as we'll loose the skin, so I need to get something sorted to quickly replace it.

I'm not sure if this belongs here, but is it possible to make the little folder icon on the side of a topic name change for polls after a topic is viewed like the other topics do? Because sometimes I forget that I've read that thread and visit twice sometimes, so I thought it would be nice if it were possible. :)

Edited by ChrisNorthInGer

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and the use of session cookies.