Gas Gun Reccommended Gas Thread

Marlowe

• 9 months later...
  • Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TM G17 - 134a only.

I've a 2 week old TM G17 and have run it on green gas 2 days. Both time the slide has managed to blow half off the rails and jam badly.

Maybe stating ambient temperature and the gas used would help. Because Guarders 220psi green gas at 30C is something completely different from ex. Guarders regular 140psi gas at 20C...

Not just you specifically but a tip in general.

This is the problem with this whole thread.

Most guns are quite safe on Green Gas in appropriately low temperatures, whilst some guns people in Northern Europe or the USA state as "100% Green Gas safe" wouldn't be in Hong Kong or the Phillipines!

I, for example, run all my WA guns almost exclusively on Green gas or Propane year round in the UK.

I've never had a WA slide fail (actually, I suspect in the UK, a SCW or later any (proper) WA slide would be fine on green gas), but I would think twice about running a TM P226 on Green if I lived in Thailand!

IMO, this is the most dangerous and misleading thread on Arnies without Ambient Temperature information or, at the very least, a location...

GAS doesn't kill any gun, PRESSURE does, which is a factor of gas AND temperature...

Cheers.

I just noticed the post i was replying to is a year old. Not my intention to necropost. But non the less it is relevant information.

If we go with the good ol theory that Green Gas is equivalant to propane, check out this PSI chart :

http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html

70F = 122 PSI

100F = 190 PSI

Problem? :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed the post i was replying to is a year old. Not my intention to necropost. But non the less it is relevant information.

If we go with the good ol theory that Green Gas is equivalant to propane, check out this PSI chart :

http://www.flameengineering.com/Propane_Info.html

70F = 122 PSI

100F = 190 PSI

Problem? :rolleyes:

this is very useful for a new GBB player, any chance that you can publish a full set of Gas versus psi versus temperature table?

i was seriously thinking of starting a project on a Mag to remove the tank inside and connect a paintball gas bottle with an accurate low pressure regulator... looking at your comment, it may be the best way to have always the same behaviour. what do you think?

this is very useful for a new GBB player, any chance that you can publish a full set of Gas versus psi versus temperature table?

i was seriously thinking of starting a project on a Mag to remove the tank inside and connect a paintball gas bottle with an accurate low pressure regulator... looking at your comment, it may be the best way to have always the same behaviour. what do you think?

Those are simply general guidelines and not exact numbers. The problem is that to collect definitive data one would have to gather a large sample of "Green Gas" canisters on the market today. I would assume each manufactures gas is a different blend and PSI. And because of this you cannot draw any conclusions from testing just one sample, you can get a hint of the PSI but..

Also, because gas changes pressure with temperature, you would need to test each manufacturers gas under different temperaturs, to get "global" data. For my purposes, I am fine with knowing what PSI a gas holds at 20-25C. But for someone in Texas USA with ambient temps of 30-40C during the summer those numbers dont mean much. I would also suspect that because of this, different countries or regions "Green Gas" manufacturers, might tweak the local gas brands PSI to adjust for the variance in ambient temp, or at least one would hope they do.

I am all for conducting such a test, but as with anything it would cost a lot of money. Sourcing bottles of gas from across the globe of different manufacturers is the small part. Finding a test facility that can perform tests from -10C to 40C, I would have no idea who can pull that of.

So, in the meantime, the propane PSI table above is the best I got. Also some manufacturers, such as Guarder, list their gases PSI on their website. Guarder has a "regular" Gas, listed at 140PSI, and a heavier gas listed at 220PSI (both at 24C), if you go by the propane psi/temperature guideline you can only image what those values would be in 30-40C temperatures.

• 3 months later...

TM M92 Biohazard Std. Mod - 134a / Abbey Predator/Green (This applies to all TM M92 guns, as the internals are the same)

Socom Gear 1911 MEU - Abbey Predator/Green

Anyone know a good stockist for the proper red gas in the UK? I reckon the MEU should be able to take it...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Got a couple more to add...

TM PX4 - Abbey Predator / Green

TM 5-7 - Abbey Predator / Green

KJW Glock 23 with plastic slide - 134a / Abbey Predator (After running on green a crack appeared in the BBU - could be an age thing as it was secondhand though...)

Temperature can only be described as a 'warm british day' - go figure :P

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

No, do not put CO2 in anything that's not specifically for CO2. It will blow up most likely.

Even if the weather is cold ? I figure if i use propane in hotter months, i can use co2 in colder months?

Does cold weather really affect propane or should i be ok using my setup as usual in cold weather

Even if the weather is cold ? I figure if i use propane in hotter months, i can use co2 in colder months?

Does cold weather really affect propane or should i be ok using my setup as usual in cold weather

Theoretically, if your gun was tuned for propane in 80 degree weather you can use CO2 in the same gun in a significantly colder environment. In my opinion, that gun that's tuned to run propane in the heat won't shoot well (or possibly not shoot at all) once the temperature drops to a certain point without switching to a propellant that has a significantly lower boiling point.

I highly recommend getting a chrono to measure the power output - check if you get similar readings using CO2 in the cold compared to propane in the heat. There are several variables that can effect the power, but it's a good starting point.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It's unfortunate no mention is made of the temperatures at which these gases could/should be used.

Cybergun Exteme Blow Back (which has less pressure than Ultrair and Walther ...or green) at +25°c : cracked slides: 2x Tokyo Marui Deagle + 1 Tokyo Marui P226!!!!!

The warranty doesn't cover anything else but the use of 144a ( the equivalent of Japanese 134a) or "duster gas"(?) and the parts are a biaaaaach to get hold of.

From what I've understood, for any Tokyo Marui one should:

-above 20°c use Abbey Predator 144a and below 20° use Cybercheap Extreme Blowback but no stronger,

Correct me if I'm wrong.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ive been using cybergun blow back gas the last 5 years in all diff guns but mostly tm hicapas and they havent cracked any slides yet.

Guarder power up gas adds 8-10 mps on my hicapa 5.1 so deff stronger gas, but it cracks plastic slides.

KSC usp compact cybergun bb gas / guarder power up red gas all ok

KSC usp 45 Cybergun bb gas / guarder power up red gas all ok

KSC/ASG G17 cybergun bb gas / redgas hammer cant oven valve

Archived