Shotguns. an underrated minority or

Carrion

Yeah, I have been using a side-by-side (the new wa shan 6 mil long version with a winchester stock fitted) for a while now and it is totally amazing even when it comes to skirmishing againgst AEGs. So far I have had only two times where reloading it has been the reason why I was shot.

BTW, to those who might protest that shells are expensive, you're right. But I solved that problem two days after getting it by selling of some other guns and using it as a primary. People on the field and some of you here might think I'm mad for wanting only two shots at a time but its cool just so long as you use them wisely.

P.s. Using a double barreled shotgun is easily the most fun you can have in airsoft IMO, theres just so much style involved.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
cerberus. any chance of a fewmore details and maybe a pic or 2? i would love one but am at hte mo pressed for funds

PICT0001.jpg

MossbergM500Ghostringsight.jpg

I don't have any great pics of it yet. It's an absolute monster, though, well above forum limits FPS wise. Max effective range is around 30 meters (with .34g and green gas), and it has about a 6" spread at 20 meters. Build quality is excellent - mostly metal, save the pump and the stock. The weight is right up there with a real shotgun. It has a very nice and accurate ghost ring rear sight. It has an internal tube magazine that holds 42 BBs (IIRC). So, no losing shells or funky magazines. Cost is around $300USD, and I'd say it's worth every penny.

Tanaka Works Mad Max Shotgun.

Takes mini moscarts, two side by side, short-ish barrel, good spread, and, IIRC, reasonable power.

Break action too, so you don't have to worry about finding that last shell that flew out further than the others.

It's definitely on my WANT list when I ahve enough cash.

Since when does Tanaka make one of those?

OK, i'm confused.  Are there Marushin m500 with 150rd internal 6mm mags (well, tube) that fire a 3 round volley on green?

Yup. The 6mm version had three brass magazine "rods" inside the magazine tube (under the barrel), each holding roughly 50 shots. Once you´d emptied one "rod", you could twist the knob on front of the mag tube to rotate a fresh "rod" on chamber. The only problem (especially with Green Gas) is that your gas reservoir will last only for a tube and a half, maybe two if the weather is warm.

And 6mm Mossberg´s are hard to find nowadays... They were discontinued in 2004 or 2005, if I recall (I managed to get one of the last ones back then, sold it couple of months ago).

Since when does Tanaka make one of those?

I Think it's tanaka. All the websites I've seen it listed on list it as TW or some such, and I'm assuming it's tanaka. may not be, but eh.

WA SHAN makes the only side by side whih uses gas shell systems

nice guns actualy, very sturdy but i had to sell mine to reduce debts

shells are costly but easy to reload and regas so 10 would be enough for aday in my mind with speedloaders

Hudson made a gas one which used iirc the maruzen shot shells and was pretty crappy all round

WA SHAN makes the only side by side whih uses gas shell systems

nice guns actualy, very sturdy but i had to sell mine to reduce debts

Damn, I really want a Wa Shan Double Barrell. But back on subject, I think it's quite interesting that when I went to Urban Assault, this past Weds for a pistol and shotgun only game; only two of my friends, another player (I think he was a marshall too if I recall) and myself were the only ones to be armed with shotguns out of around maybe 40+ players (if memory serves correctly).

It seems that even in this instance, players would rather have it easy with a Glock or a Hi-Cappa than to have a bit of fun with say a nice old pump action :)

But this is the majority of airsoft players all over, functionality over fun/coolness. Armalites, Glocks etc. bore me to tears, but a sawn off shotgun, a mean looking gas SMG, the odd revolver, just something that little bit different, just adds character to a game. In fact, I tend to stick with my TMP and CA870, not simply because I love the guns, but it challenges you more as a player, instead of being another lazy chump with 50 Hi-Caps, and a skip full of BBs.

Decimus.

I'm not sure how useful they would be in a skirmish (because i've never used one) but i've been looking at the maruzen M1100 shotguns. As i understand it, it's semi auto (think I'm right on that) and has pretty poor power. But knowing so little about these I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on these, and where could I get spare shells from? :blink:

So anyone with personal experience of these fine looking beasts who could share some stories/info would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance :)

i have the defender 1 modle (uses mag system not shells)

on green they DO break. its a case of whennot if as with all m1100s.

the shells are avalible from a lot of places. wolf, firesupport. and loads of others just aask

im going to be getting a full stock one

things to note

get a decent shell catcher. a cheep one is a pain to use, wont catch shells well and generaly just sucks

get a good shell holding system. easy to use and look at RS shotgun stuffs as thats what is designed for.

they are fun guns and with some TLC make good game guns IF you get close enough

M1100s sound f***ing awesome, they're really quite loud. But yeah green gas will destroy it :( They're pretty pants on 134a imo. I'd avoid the full length ones though, I had one of those once, it was a bit unweildy.

I'd honestly suggest a M870 (pump-action) over an M1100, at least you can put green gas in it without the bolt destroying itself. Only drawback of the M870 (as mentioned earlier) is that the sound it makes when fired is pretty awful :(

The problem is the bolt travelling too far back into the housing and the force in which it hits, initially it doesn't seem to matter much but then the pot metal starts to go. The "bolt door" on mine actually broke first, when I opened it up I'd found that the rest was on the verge.

They've put some o-ring at the back of the bolt too in an effort to cushion the recoil but this doesn't do a lot, you could increase the number of o-rings which would be a good idea because as the bolt travels too far back the piston fully leaves the cylinder, so it rips the piston head as it goes back in :( Though I imagine striking the right number/size of o-rings will be a bit of trial and error as too many o-rings will hinder the bolt too much to cycle/feed properly.

Not sure what else to recommend other than; if you can make the bolt parts out of steel then do so :| Am curious to see what Carrion posts; I might actually dig out my poor M1100 defender that's sitting in a box in bits waiting for me to get bored with everything else and show it some attention :P

catman. any chance of a picture to highlight what your talking about? ive not been into my m1100 for a while bar to put the addons onto it and a steel body

Err well there's some pics of the busted bolt it in this thread: http://www.arniesairsoft.co.uk/forums/inde...=96978&hl=m1100 to my shame a poor project I never completed: I junked the magazine mod because although I was on the right track I'd got the positioning of the mag too badly wrong and the BBs wouldn't feed nicely at that angle. Though the gas chamber mod worked, it actually makes an appearance in one of the early M2 videos :D

hmm so it is just the bolt arm which is fialing then.

did epoxy fix it?

you could consider a spring dampaner system instead of the orings just a short small guage spring at the back of the bolt to reduce the impact.

i would say thaqt given you facination with metal work and the tooling you have accessto then it may be better to just make a steel one

edit

forgot to say thanks

cheers ;)

Yes this epoxy fix has held so far but in honesty it hasn't see at lot of action. Also what you don't see is; on the other arm the screws that hold it onto the bolt, those screw holes had developed cracks. Oh yeah and because the bolt travels too far back I found that the backward protruding bit of the bolt had left some nasty dents in the pistol grip :/

A spring dampaner would be good one, especially inconjunction with the o-ring dampaners. Apparently CL (airsoft surgeon) has modified M1100s for green gas; I'm curious to know what he's done.

I been toying with the idea of a steel bolt - would definately like to do that as I'd like to run it on CO2 as well as up it to 4-5 rounds per shot; 3 just isn't "shotgun" enough imo :P However I doubt I'd ever do that - it'd be easier and I'd be more inclined to make my own shotty :D Hmm maybe a Pancor Jackhammer... :D

Archived