Airsoft at Uni?

Jaager

Ok so ive received my offers and im in the process of making my decision on which to accept. However im not sure about airsoft at uni. I know some people who play whilst their at uni and keep their guns in halls, but im not sure whether when i go that i should just take my airsoft kit anyway(i would be taking quite a bit of Ruskie kit, an NVA loadout (i want to try and form an NVA soc wherever i go, I doubt that many people would be interested though) and 3 AKs + Mags, shells and Batteries etc).

Also does anyone know the nearest site to the following universities:

-Kent

-Sheffield

-Hull

-Birmingham

Also, what do universities think of airsoft, would they put airsoft under the same "umberella" as painball as i know some universities have Painball teams.

BTW university acceptance of airsoft will have little effect on which i choose.

I seriously doubt many universities will be happy with you having airsoft guns in the halls.

I wouldn't do it anyway personally, halls are full of drunk people.

Drunk people and airsoft guns is likely to end in someone being blinded and or an armed response team turning up.

Jaager, you plank, I'm at leicester uni. I've been in halls of residence last year and am in uni owned accomodation this year. So at the very least you know that leicester doesn't really mind ;) Me and two of my flatmates (Tom and Suzie) have been to a couple of skirmishes at the grange while in the new accomodation, and to get outside, we gota go past a security guard at reception.

In Full cammo with rifle bags.

We've been given an odd look once or twice, but that's it. Students are supposed to do weird things! It's expected!

But yeah. Check in the accommodation handbook or guidelines or whatever ahead of time, if you can - scan it for anything to do with airsoft or paintball. if they say anything about not being allowed them in uni owned accommodation, don't bring them. if they don't say anything, bring them if you want.

my advice is to not bring them to begin with, then ask your warden/subwarden/someone in charge of something to do with the accomodation. Just ask them if it's okay to have them, explain they're legal and perfectly safe and that you're not going to go shooting people, and if they say yes, haul them with you the next time you go home. If they say no, then you've not done anything wrong.

'tis what I did; my subwarden just said that as long as I didn't dent the walls, it'd be fine.

I dented the walls. :D

EDIT: 3 AK's mags and a loadout? Pfah. My flat it currentley "armed" with:

2 Armalites

AK47

SL8k

XM8

L96

Bell M92

Jeike M93r

WE Hicappa

TM Sig 226

2 kendo sticks

A wooden sword

Chainmail vest

Sheild

Sword (Made for combat, and been used as such, IIRC)

Hatchet

Various knives and a scram

Three airsofters and two medieval reenactors in a flat makes for some rather serious kit. It's a good flat.

Oh, there's also about 5 loadouts in various cupboards, too.

So, uh, yeah. The ammount you're brining certainly won't be excessive :)

EDIT 2: If memory serves correctley, Birmingham has a paintball team - may have been a different university, but I seem to remember it being birmingham. The guy who gave us the tour of the campus was on the team, and had a couple of paintball guns in his backpack most of the day. We (the tour group) only found out when he spotted one of his mates and gave him the bag. if it IS birmingham, you shouldn't have a problem there ;)

Birmingham has an airsoft and paintball society (BUPAS) and play aometimes at Cerebus Airsoft and at South Yorkshire as far as I'm aware.

Sheffield I think has something similar, Hull I'm unsure of but be warned the indigenous peoples of Hull are not known for there sense of 'umour (joke :lol: )

Well i cant tell you about those Unis, but at my uni (Aberystwyth) we have an airsoft club thats been going strong for 3ish years now. Best advice is the old 'ask first'. Though if im totally honest i just kept mine under my bed all last year and noone cheaked there or anything.

The advice we give to our own first year airsofters is to let the 2nd years who have private accomidation look after their guns if the uni has a problem with them.

As long as you dont ruin it for everyone by doing something stupid while drunk.

sheffield dislikes airsoft... they see it as gun waving and violent...

they have a paintball society, but two attempts by uni skirmishers to start a society were crushed on grounds of public view...

Guns in halls? officially no, reality? they never find out... i did it for two years...

I do recommend sheffield however. Sya loxley is a hour walk, or 20 minute buss ride from the uni halls... also proteus camp 45 minutes away by car. Yorkshire has a fair share of skirmish sites..

and i agree... drinking and airsoft is bad... impromptu use of p90 to repel the drunken boys from downstairs after a night out... successful ^_^

R

I know this isn't exactly what you're looking for, given that we are across seas, but my University has an airsoft chapter. One of my team mates from an old team started it up. Biggest issue being getting an advisor.

As for it being grouper under the same umbrella as paintball or similar "action pursuit sports", it likely helps that my Uni(Texas A&M) is very much a southern place, and we were able to bill it as an alternate training method for our Corp of Cadets.

Not really very helpful, for which I apologize, but just wanted to show that it was possible, even in the US where we tend to be even more paranoid of guns and schools than perhaps the UK.

but whatever you do don't take toomuch notice of the good gig guide in Airsoft international... the old Lightfighter grounds are still mentioned...

Sheffield Uni classing airsoft as gun waving and violent... hmm normal southern jessie university... hang on though do they have kendo and fencing clubs?

dude choose Canterbury its the best uni ever! And as far as "Guns" go at UNI its a no no and will most likely get you expelled if caught. I mean no matter how you spell it out its a replica weapon. Even though you have a good reason i doubt they would allow. Personaly i never had a problem with it as i didnt tell them and always kept them secure but its potentialy problematic when it comes to drunken nights in. Nearest site to Canterbury would be CAGE dover being about 25mins then CAGE AMHURST (in chatham) about 35/40mins driving time, trains i dunno.

Well im from the better side of the Pennines (Lancashire) :P

My advice for uni choice: find one with a course you like, the best halls to offer (TRUST ME, Your living there for a year, breazeblock cells like aberyswith arnt fun...

then price em.

then decide on the city.

then think about airsoft :P

you wont pay for all your guns if you go to a ###### uni, get a bad degree, (or fail it)...

R

because ive applied for a politics course, im making my decision based on:-

-the Course (either politics and International relations or European Government and Politics)

-Opportunity's to study abroad/ have an internship in Brussels/Westminster

-reputation of the uni (hull has the hull mafia in Westminster)

- the city + music scene (Sheffield sounds good because i hear bands like the Arctic Monkeys play quite regularly at this place called the leadmill but Brum has the Carling academy and the NIA which ive been to so i know what to expect there)

- Halls and if i can keep my drum kit anywhere/ fit an electronic kit in my room

-are there airsoft sites nearby would i be able to keep my guns at uni

anyway on hiding the guns i was thinking as their AK's i could strip them down into two pieces and keep them locked in a hard drum case and then assemble them when i go skirmishing.

yeah, I try to bring some airsoft gears to my flat as well... but I am not even sure anyone in my Uni play airsoft... plus the closest field is 50mins drive...

I dont' think you need to inform your Uni about you play Airsoft or not... I don't think they really cares... The people you want to talk to could be the Student Union, if you have one that is.

In the UK you actually have to opt out of the Students Union... I'm sure Birmingham Uni's Airsoft and Paintballers were having a few problems last year with the Athletics Union and the NUS Sports person, I can't remeber now... talking to uni students at games means you find out a lot...

Archived