Halo ODST Marine loadout

I'm looking into (seriously, lol) making a loadout based on the ODST (Orbital Drop Shock Troop) Marines from Halo, and I was wondering if anyone else has done this/tried this/has any ideas about it?

I was thinking of trying some sort of Motorcross armous for the base, but Im not too sure.

Mods, if this shouldn't be here, please move it :)

Thanks!

post-11376-1202765965_thumb.jpg

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Styrofoam. Honestly, motocross padding running around in the woods, or even just for posing will get very hot and bulky. If you can find a large block of styrofoam, just cut the armor out of that and paint it. Cheaper, cooler, and will take realistic damage. Just an idea for you man.

A friend of mine built one out of foam (Not styrofoam, I mean the white quality, durable stuff). It was pretty high quality but he said it was hard to work with, but when he got it done it was definitely awesome. I've also seen some vacuum molded forms of it, but those are pretty much dependent on how much you want to spend on the thing, as far as money, and especially, time.

This has been my dream for a long time.

Reference Pics:

med_gallery_2_4_148563.jpg

med_gallery_2_4_2783822.jpg

med_gallery_2_4_537633.jpg

med_gallery_2_4_301593.jpg

I've been working it out for ages, and to make just a decent-looking set you'd be spending hundreds, if not thousands of $. To sculpt and mould a set of MJOLNIR armour (E.g. What Master Chief wears) it costs somewhere between $1000-2000. And lots of time. Lots and lots of time.

Vacuum forming is possible, if you have a vacuum former of course. :P

Otherwise (what I'm going to do when I have the ridiculous amount of money needed) you need to sculpt the parts from clay, encase them in silicone rubber, to make a mould, then use plastic mix to create the actual piece. Unfortunately a project such as this simply requires money and time. As soon as one of those is scimped on, the quality decreases. It's a tough line. :(

Cheers for the comments everyone, and thanks for the extra reference pics, Buzzsaw :D I hear what you're saying, but to be honest I'm not trying to make an *identical* copy, I just want something that will work as a general loadout based on the ODSTs.

I might look into using styrofoam, as that's not an idea I'd thought of at all, but like Xsjado said, wouldnt it just get torn to shreds during standard use? Although the battle worn effect would be cool :D Also, I've never attempted to use anything like that before, so it might be a bit of a steep learning curve.

I'm going to look into some of the options tonight, and I'll let everyone know what I think of :)

Also, Buzzsaw, if I get anything, and try it out, I'll definetely post up pics and let you know how it works so you can factor it into your choices :)

All you need is PVC sheeting, an oven, a saw, and paper.

With the paper you make a template.

With the saw you cut the sheeting to the template.

With the oven you heat the PVC sheeting until it is pliable.

You then form the PVC sheeting into the proper shape. Details can then be added by whatever means you prefer.

That sounds like a pretty good idea :) Is there anywhere I can get a tutorial for that? (Just as I've never tried it before, lol) Cheers though :D

I scrapped the stormtrooper armour idea, as I found these instead -

I think they'll work quite well for the shin/knee guards. Especially with some added bits.

post-11376-1202910887_thumb.jpg

I just kept searching ebay for motorcross armour, or (believe it or not, lol) I found these just by searching 'Shin Guards', lol. I was thinking of either vacuum forming some parts and then fixing them with resin (or something similar) or simply kryloning them black and stencilling white the UNSC logo, and ODST logo onto all the parts of the armour.

The reason why I think these are so good is that they have the clips and straps around the leg and knee (whereas most were just lycra with the armour on one side)

That sounds like a pretty good idea :) Is there anywhere I can get a tutorial for that? (Just as I've never tried it before, lol) Cheers though :D

Not entirely sure. It seems to be popular with SCA-types for making armor that's supposed to be lacquered (ie: o-yoroi, &c.), so you might try starting there. There are even some websites that sell pre-cut plastic lames and full suits of armor made with this method.

Alright, thanks a lot, I'll check that out.

My leg+knee guards arrived today, and are really good. They look pretty cool, and are also surprisingly comfortable (lol)

Each has two small flattened areas, just visible in the above photo, that bear the company logo. I am filling in the logo with resin, and will then stencil small versions of the UNSC logo in their place, and possibly a blood type logo (as the ODSTs in the pics have them on their shoulder as well).

i live about 5 minutes away from Vamp so will probably be helping out with this at some point or other, knowing him ;) plus i quite want some armour for myself ;)

So, where do we go from here? i'll probably mainly work on the gun side of things. i've had a bit of experimenting with my XM8, and quite want a bash at a famas to make it uber looking :D

what sort of materials would be best for the armour? i know that hardcoil used copius amoutns of plasticard for his P90 famas thingy, but will that stand up to being shot and be structurally sound enough to hold a shape if you crash into a wall with it on? last thing we'd want is to build some awesome suit of armour, slam into a wall for cover at airsoft and see if all fall off....

Archived